Another Sierra Yellow Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy71

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been getting inspiration from here for quite a while now so thought it’s time to get involved.

Finally got my 1st early bay about 18 months ago. It’s a 71 microbus that’s spent it’s life in California, so lucky for me it’s super solid.

Thanks for the comments,

Regarding my plans, they seem to change by the week!!

I should start by letting you know I’m a complete novice.

I’m in the building trade so quite ‘hands on’ and have converted 2 T5’s, but no experience with air cooled vw’s, so any help or pointing in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated

My main dilemma is whether to paint or not. I was considering a colour change but the more time passes, the more I like Sierra Yellow and it seems it was a 1 or 2 year only colour? The top half of the bus is totally original but the bottom has had a blow over, probably many years ago. There’s a few dents and scratches in parts but pretty good really so maybe I need to find someone who can repair these bits

I’ve been buying / collecting bits since I bought the bus, so I’m now running out of excuses 😂😂

There’s obvious advantages about the bus being from California, but it’s does create other problems. All the rubber was rock solid and split everywhere so had to buy a full seal kit. I did a bit of digging around and got Alan Schofields to supply me with the best available as I’ve seen people on here having nightmares with crap stuff.

I’ve also got a full wiring loom from Jon at VW Looms, TMI headliner and various other bits waiting for something to happen🤔🤔

I’ve also got a transporterhaus 4” narrowed beam and some dropped spindles.

Gunna get some Fuch reps, I know it’s a bit predictable but I think they really suit Sierra Yellow

Squareweave on here had a beautiful 71 that’s given me something to aim for.

If I can get anywhere near that I’ll be over the moon.

Nice bus and sounds like you now know what you intend to do with it so good luck on your journey!!

I think I know what I intend to do but haven’t got a clue how to go about doing it!!🤣🤣

I started by cleaning, then cleaning and a bit more cleaning

That does look very similar Lee, did u get bored of it?? How many other Sierra Yellow buses did you come across?

After reading Squareweaves thread I decided to remove the factory underseal from the arches. I used the same product as him to freeze it then it flakes off quite easily. It’s called ‘dust off’ and I got it from Costco. If you hold the can upside down it freezes the underseal

Still some bits to come off but I’m well chuffed with the condition. It’s unbelievable to think it’s 47 years old!

Also had a go at cleaning the engine bay

Good result with removing the underseal and getting good paint etc

Very nice mate, mine was sierra yellow as well but there was no original paint to speak of so sprayed it blue

Arches look amazing!!!!
I didn't get bored of my one, I only had it on the road 3 months, not long enough to get bored!!!!
I had a bit of a money wobble & it went before I realised what I'd done !!!!

Tried reading your thread Lee but as you know photo bucket has f#*#ed it up.

Think I remember seeing your Sierra Yellow bus on here a while ago when I was following ‘Squareweaves’ bus.

Could be my buses twin brother. Looks dead similar to when I got mine!

Looks mint, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Hi georgeyv,

Just looked through ur thread, they are very similar! Love how you’ve brought the paint back to life.

Doesn’t seem to be many Sierra Yellow buses around, how many have you seen since owning yours?

I’m learning all the time but it’s gunna be a slow process for my bus I’m afraid. I want to do as much as possible myself and enjoy it, so maybe get it running this year but totally finished for next year.

I’m lucky enough to have a different campervan I can use for weekends and festivals so no pressure there. Also because of this I’m gunna keep the interior quite simple, full width bed, a simple but nice quality unit possibly with small sink / burner and maybe a drawer fridge. That’s the plan anyway🤔🤔

Latest posts