rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a fairly frustrating couple of months, I can safely say that the squareback is going to Ninove.
Beam, hubs, 944 brakes with master cylinder, floorpan welding, wheel fitting issues and unexpected holdups meant that the MOT was presented on Monday.
Whether I get there maybe another issue as it hasn't been farther than 20 miles in the last 4 years. :lol:

teledials look awesome Si.

944 Brakes should get it stopped nice and sharp..........!? (If u gets a chance to use them that is!!?) :mrgreen: :lol:

Enjoy Ninove...... Pics!!

And it all started so well.
If you're reading this on Sunday you'll realise that things didn't go quite according to plan, as my return trip wasn't due until tomorrow. :lol:

The drive from Bristol to the Archer's at Herne Bay on Friday was issue free. A steady 50-55mph and one fuel stop at Cobham Services on the M25.

Saturday morning's trip from Herne Bay to the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone was the same.
But when I arrived at the check-in point, clouds of white smoke billowed from the rear. But the engine sounded fine and revved cleanly.
Well it did until I was being loaded onto the shuttle, the engine locked up and deposited a healthy dollop of oil onto the carriage.
Got to France and was towed off the train and 60 euros lighter after the cleanup.
Had to wait for an almost empty return train and was towed back to England and the services at the tunnel exit.

The AA duly arrived and after 3 relays and almost 12 hours later I arrived back home.

Folkestone

Cobham Services West M25

Membury West M4

And home.

Engine rebuild on the cards now, but something a bit bigger than stock I think.
Shit happens, I'll try again next year, 3rd time lucky and all that.

:)

And the bus is back.

Well, it hasn't really been anywhere since the beginning of December, not even off the drive. Unfortunately the winter's not been kind to the body though. :(
But a splash of fresh fuel, a couple of cranks to get oil pressure, and it started first time. :)

Just need to swap the clutch out for the stage 1 unit and Daiken Super plate, sort an oil leak at a full flow union, have a really good clean inside and out and then blast up the M4 to the VolksWorld Show next weekend.
That's the plan anyway, but my plans have a habit of going tits up recently..... :lol:

Back to work.
First job, stop the throttle sticking wide open.
Stripped and greased linkage, greased cable, stripped and cleaned up Butty's linkage and added a hefty dollop of copper grease to stop the rose joints seizing, and added a couple of new return springs under the cab floor.
I really need to replace the shaft that goes through the chassis leg, and fit some boots to the rose joints.

While fiddling in the engine bay I noticed this piece of fuel pipe at the pump outlet. Less than 12 months old.....

Another job to do, replace all the fuel lines again when I replace the stock pump and fit an electric one.
As the engine is coming out to replace the clutch this week, the bumper and towbar have to come off.

Never rains but pours mate. Might be going to Volksworld next week, i'll give you a bell if I can get work finished this week.

What brand of fuel line is that? Looks very similar to what has happened to mine, and tbh I was surprised to see that it had cracked on the outside, rather than the inside. Mine was bought from M7, and was less than 2 years’ old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teflon fuel pipe mate, reasonabley pricey but fantastic stuff. Been on my bus for 4 years, with no issues. However I am replacing it all just because everything else on the bus is being rebuilt or replaced due to the restoration.

Here we go.

What took the time was sorting the fuel system and full flow hoses and dropping the cooler and filter head.

New clutch pressure and friction plates on, and ready to go back in.
No oil in the bell housing and bone dry apart from a loose rocker cover ( :roll: ) and a small weep under load from one of the full flow fittings. :)
I planned to renew all the oil system and give the engine a freshen up at some point this year, but the squareback issues have put that on hold.

All done and back together. Bus drives mint now, instant pickup and no slippage.
Should've fitted a stage 1 clutch with the engine in hindsight.

VolksWorld 2018.
Bus ran like a dream all the way up the M4/M25, and I got there a little before I expected.

Had a quick wander round the show while it was being set up and there was nobody ambling aimlessly around, these two Type 3s were my favourite of the weekend.

Friday night was the usual blur of kebabs, beer and rum and Saturday dawned with the line up.

This was pretty awesome out in the Grandstand.

And then we spent most of Saturday in a Belgian beer bar in Esher.

Saturday night's camp in the car park.

Sunday's line up.

It's not a rocket.....

:lol:

Another weekend with good company.

Actually used the bus for camping this weekend.
Just a short hop across the Severn to Usk with some friends, but had to stock up first, so down to Roger's for some cider and cheese.

All set up. :)

The weather was absolutely shite, and there was nothing to do.....

Latest posts