1969 - GGL 468G

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what colour is that? Ive been looking at a toyota hypersonic red and yours is probably the closest to what i was looking for.

Good question. I've asked the old owner if he remembers, I know he pops by for a lurk every now and then.

Not sure of the colour code but it's the metallic red used on Chrysler PT Cruiser. I'll look for the code but I think it's probably long gone?
I'm glad to see Jamie's sorting all the nasties but sad to see that it had some tin worm, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "little hitch hiker" he found!
Keep posting the pics.

Some not very interesting photos but I thought I'd keep them for some sort of reminder.

Interior paint time. She's going to have white paint showing between the roof and the wall panels and some red and white vinyl panels. I was considering lining around the windows with fabric but I think this will look nicer.

The cab doors are getting painted and have had some nasty rust holes along the bottom welded up. They're nice and smooth now but I can't remember where the drain holes are meant to go.

Same for the rear hatch.

There's some old green on the doors under the silver. I can't imagine a full van painted that colour.

The front seats now fit, with the original runners fixed up and functioning again. It's hard to see in the dark but the actual tubs look a lot nicer now too.

Also the completely ruined mounting points in the rear wheel well have been sealed up properly (steel seems a bit more rigid than filler) and are ready to support whatever I decide to put in the back.

20170916_095754.jpg

Here's a before shot for one of the rust problems at the bottom of the passenger door. There were a few of these.

Did that used to be a drain? It seems a bit high up.

Original seats in (from a 68 apparantly). They'll be coming out again for an overhaul over Christmas

The frames and springs are fine, it's just the covers that are wrecked. They're surprisingly bouncy.

White paint around the windows, doors and such inside. The dashboard still needs doing and the door seals are a work in progress...

I'm still conflicted about what to do with the weird roof. I kind of want to put a pop top on but I'd have to lower it a bit more to get it in the garage. Alternatively I quite like those rag tops for a mid term solution but I'd probably cock it up and have a soggy bus so I probably won't bother.

Or maybe I should just finish the damn thing and think of the roof later.

Some vinyl samples from Delilahs for the trim panels. I'll be going for the top 2 i think. Maybe the third one down.

《Edit》 ordered the panels and some seat covers. They're arriving in January so this should start coming together then. : )

20171015_135105.jpg

These aren't getting glued down until next year (and I'm not looking forward to it) but I thought I'd roughly lay them out to see how they'd look. Pretty good I think .

BoggyB said:
20171015_135105.jpg

These aren't getting glued down until next year (and I'm not looking forward to it) but I thought I'd roughly lay them out to see how they'd look. Pretty good I think .
I agree! Looks absolutely spot on. Vans looking really bloody good. Interior is going to be great!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Thanks. : )

I've got a feeling it's going to look a bit too bright when the panels and seat covers are in to begin with, since I'm not going to be able to afford the bed, cushions and cabinets that are meant to tone down the bounciness for a good while but hey ho. I can live with a cartoon bus for now.

The new interior panels and seat covers have just arrived from Delilahs and I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

A bit more painting inside (dashboard and a couple of bits around the windscreen) and it'll be ready for them to go in.

20180118_121046.jpg

I don't know how I'm going to replace the headlining now these roof panels have been torn down. It must be nice having a tin top and not having to deal with a 5 foot hole in the roof!

It looks like the old photo links have died so I'll have to reupload them somewhere more reliable.

Quick test fit of the Delilahs door cards, they need clipping in and the hole for the window handle cutting into the vinyl. Super happy with them.

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly given how weird and wobbly this van can be) none of the other panels line up with any of the fixing holes in the back so I'll need to get creative with that.

20180422_160845.jpg

Coming together slowly but I am sure it will be a good 'un when finished :)

Thanks, but I've given up hope on this ever being finished. If it is the T5 will probably be a historic vehicle by then.

BoggyB said:
Thanks, but I've given up hope on this ever being finished. If it is the T5 will probably be a historic vehicle by then.
:lol:
Been doing mine for nearly 13 years so I know what you mean....

gninnam said:
:lol:
Been doing mine for nearly 13 years so I know what you mean....

13 glorious years, I'm sure. :)

Today the front brake discs and pads were replaced since it turns out there were in a horrendous state. It's always odd driving with brand new pads but it certainly feels a lot safer now.

We'll be doing quite a bit of invisible underside work this month which, upsettingly, is expensive and won't change the look but needs doing.

The bodged front beam i mentioned a couple of years ago (late bay beam welded in place instead of being modded and bolted on, presumably to allow disc brakes up front as cheaply as possible) is getting removed and replaced with a proper beam fitted correctly. Unfortunately this is going to destroy the current beam but it can't be helped. This is going to be the most expensive fix so far.

The steering damper is leaking but that'll get fixed along with the beam as well as the shocks and track rods.

The rear drums are being rebuilt since they're getting on a bit now and ones seized. I like working brakes, rather than stopping using trees and suchlike. They need new flexihoses too, ones cracked and one side has the wrong part altogether.

Rear brake back plates need replacing along with the handbrake cables.

The accelerator linkage collapsed on me this morning which Matt at Autohaus Dolby thankfully managed to rig back together temporarily, so that all needs replacing. I'll be buying some buttysbits parts for that.

All boring stuff but it should be, mechanically at least, sound after that. I'll make a good bus out of this even if I end up having to live in it.

Latest posts