Happiness is a hot VW !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a modern Eberspacher heater a few months back and thought I’d share the revolation of driving a bay toastie warm !
I was going to pipe into the existing tubing but it’s not very thermally efficient. I just got one outlet for now and it soon heats up the bus . Not entirely happy with the exit but it works so well it’s hard to change it .
You can control the heat easily from the controller which I have mounted on the column .

Where did you get this, looks similar to the ones on eBay? What does it run on?

My dads running one these in his van brilliant bit kit plus get all spares .also nice warm van

SiDev said:
Where did you get this, looks similar to the ones on eBay? What does it run on?

I got mine from EBay , if you search Eberspacher D2 you’ll find loads . There are 12v and 24v models too so best to get the 12 v one . The 24 v ones are a lot cheaper but you would either need a converter or an extra 12v battery . I couldn’t find a petrol one second as most come from diesel vans . I have an extra 10 litre fuel tank for the diesel. They use 0.3 litres an hour so you can easily run it for long trips and overnight stays . I ve also added a leisure battery so the bus will always start .

malcolm57 said:
My dads running one these in his van brilliant bit kit plus get all spares .also nice warm van

I also like that the air is safe from fumes . The burner heats a heat exchanger (aluminium finned block ) and the warm air is blown over that . All combustion air goes through the exhaust.

Have you actually tried to plumb it into the existing heating system? As I do not use heat exchangers and my central tube under the floor is shot, I plan to mount this heater on the chassis under the floor (think silent) with just a short length connection tube to a box for wlakthrough heating exit, continuing to the front stock exits under dash and on the dash. We will see, said the blind.

I am planning to do the same thing 1961bluebug but looking at using a VVKB diesel heater. Has anyone any experience with fitting these?

I was planning the exact same with a D2 heater under the seat up front, but might go for a VVKB one now as cheaper and looks pretty much the same! Thanks for the heads up! Interested to see if anyone has used as well....

1961bluebug said:
Have you actually tried to plumb it into the existing heating system? As I do not use heat exchangers and my central tube under the floor is shot, I plan to mount this heater on the chassis under the floor (think silent) with just a short length connection tube to a box for wlakthrough heating exit, continuing to the front stock exits under dash and on the dash. We will see, said the blind.

I was thinking of doing that but was told by an agent who fits them in Lincoln that the ducting is not very thermally Efficient so have kept it simple for now . I might try plumbing it into the totum pole leading to the dash but I would need to fit all the plastic ducting under the dash first .

So this is where we got yesterday. I wanted a simple and sturdy installation, and the heater outside the vehicle if possible to avoid noise and taking up precious inside space. : two metal rails velded to the crossmembers of the chassis, drilled through, and Airtop is mounted inside a stainless box. Original heating tube was shortened and the outlet is plugged directly into the remaining piece of tube. Today we focus on installation of intake, exhaust and electrical part of the installation. My car is stock height and the outlet and intake of the heater are not lower then engine sump for those who are concerned.

Latest posts