Interior Build - 1970 Import - Made it in a magazine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that´s what I´m gonna do. So I suppose the quality of the two pdoducts is very close...

After trying for 2 years finally got a reply off previous US owners!

Our dad is Wesley Myron Cretney. He bought a pair of yellow VW vans years ago (one for parts), but, never did anything with them. We've always referred to him as a pack-rat, but, these days, it's commonly known as hoarding... I would have to guess that the vans resided (along with many other "treasures") at the end of a dirt road in the Applegate Valley (Southern Oregon) for approximately 15 years...? He probably acquired them from somewhere nearby, maybe Grants Pass or Medford. We moved him and his wife, Mary, into town in early 2014. I think the vans were sold to the auto recycler in late 2013...?

Unfortunately, our dad and his wife both have memory issues, so I'm not feeling very optimistic about discovering any more useful information, but, if I do, I'll send it along.

Is the van in the UK now? We would all enjoy seeing what you've done with it when you're finished.

So some info is good! So looks like it was laid up around 1997 and been there until 2013 when it was sold.

Went to Tynemouth a couple of weeks ago as well, mini vw lineup for the Mouth of the Tyne music fest

7t3xmxV.jpg

YlGlwFY.jpg

qrAems7.jpg

Managed to make it into this months Camper and Commercial!

Quite happy to say the least :) (Bottom right)

slMI750.jpg

HbUKVPC.jpg

Great! Well deserved coverage, I'll have to grab a copy... :)

Been a while but since Ive been in the mag, I can now post the photos from the shoot without getting wrong lol.

Only added curtains since the pics

npiat8T.jpg

Df2KliQ.jpg

2IzJZvd.jpg

Sc9ivlt.jpg

tIuZfxw.jpg

cYoMM8a.jpg

GJ3fnEh.jpg

9vkfdYV.jpg

jOSk403.jpg

kCCNXzN.jpg

gd7CFI5.jpg

iuNcZf9.jpg

vjCLCvK.jpg

Think i might have seen your previous thread - great job and what a transformation. Love what you've done for the interior - lucky to have skills like that and top colour too!

This is one of my favourite interior builds. I hadn't seen the Sundial layout until you mentioned it and as I said before I think the work you've done is top notch. I hope to see you at a show one day and have a proper look around (with your permission of course..! :))

Well done on the feature mate, looking back from the start of your thread to the end you've done a hell of a lot of work!

Many thanks for the nice comments! I totally b*ggered up my old photobucket pics rendering my old thread useless (which is embarrassing since I work in IT lol)

The entire thing, roughly is here in pics https://imgur.com/a/q0FwA

It was tiring doing it over 21months. Wife was very understanding and most of it was done on nights after 7pm as that's when we put our little one to sleep. Bodywork was constant late nights in the shed sanding doors etc. The entire interior was the easier bit but still involved a lot of late nights over a 1 1/2 month period. Woodwork wise I sold the table saw as it wasn't accurate enough, ended up using a £15 cordless Ryobi small s.saw I got off gumtree and made a straightedge for it. Slower but really accurate.

I'd never seen the sundial interior until I relooked through one of my old Camper and Commercial mags and found this one, I assume it sold ages ago.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=60072

After a year of use, I've found its ideal for beach days and weekends. Although dunno if it would be too cramped for a week. In hindsight, I would have build the fridge unit about 25% smaller just to give a bit more room but couldNT find a fridge to match.

Other than that it generally works well for us.

I'm not very original however, as I copied the sundial interior and as you can see the interior colour theme is very similar to my teardrop I made a few year ago

1B1BQT1.jpg

Well quick update,

My DIY temp gauge for the engine bay and engine were sadly a non starter, the delicate electronics just wouldn't work right with the electrical interference from the engine when running. So I decided to can the idea and buy a normal VDO dipstick sender and gauge when JK had their VAT free offer on, £61 posted for the whole kit.

Easy install, 1 wire to ground, other to the gauge, and ignition power to the gauge with earth and that's it.

Quite neat install, I used traditional spade connectors then used heatshrink for the tops. I don't like using the blue plastic coated ones in the engine bay.

aZVb0SE.jpg

And I wanted a 'unique' gauge mount, as I didn't want a dash top pod :lol: :lol:

uKpuvdG.jpg

Works well, had our first trip to the seaside in the bus this year, bit late but went well. 50mile round trip, didn't go over 85 on the way there, and hit 100 C on the hills back before cooling back down to 80. Not bad for a fairly hot day.

WO8ZFhl.jpg

And heres the ridiculously over done interior shot lol

AbfybQ7.jpg

Latest posts