XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy. On page 4 here (previous comment/update at bottom of page) I said these were old photos, so progress since these. In fact.... The bus is far advanced from this now. Back corners looking solid. Lots of priming paints applied. Went to see it last Thursday and the electric wiring loom was being analysed. Still gotta respray, but engine (top half new and lower tinware in place), gearbox (checked and resprayed) ....... both worked on. The clutch needs replacing. But all in all, looking lively and ready to hit the final hurdles. Thanks for looking in. Your own bus is looking good too.

graysummers said:
Hi Andy. On page 4 here (previous comment/update at bottom of page) I said these were old photos, so progress since these. I
You did say that and I did read it, so my comment was not just based on the pics ;)

Beginning to be rebuilt. There are a few damaged ball joint rubber on the front beam and Paul thinks the brakes could do with an over haul before the summer. I now have all new brake lines and hoses and Paul has serviced the master cylinder and one of the rear wheel cylinders.. he may have to do the other one. Also, get some protective paint on the old metalwork. Also. Need a central belly pan. But need some funds first for extras. Get the MOT dusted and then spend thoughts on the way I can add those beautiful little extras to personalise it to being my own dream bus.

Cheers Andy. When we first discussed the underside future last year 2016 we were talking about massive future protection. Waxoils, etc......specific ideas Paul knows too well. I don't know what at the moment but it’ll be done for sure. I only have to look at the state after belly pan removal. I’ll be using the bus daily over a Welsh winter, so want it really seen to. All the re-introduction of stuff that came off last year which was being stored has to be looked at I suppose. So, maybe a few extras to get yet. But, MOT first and insurance to consider. Been reading about insurance pitfalls on this site. Gotta be careful.

graysummers said:
Cheers Andy. When we first discussed the underside future last year 2016 we were talking about massive future protection. Waxoils, etc......specific ideas Paul knows too well. I don't know what at the moment but it’ll be done for sure. I only have to look at the state after belly pan removal. I’ll be using the bus daily over a Welsh winter, so want it really seen to. All the re-introduction of stuff that came off last year which was being stored has to be looked at I suppose. So, maybe a few extras to get yet. But, MOT first and insurance to consider. Been reading about insurance pitfalls on this site. Gotta be careful.

Looks really cool! Should be brilliant when done.

Wouldn't bother with waxoyl now, its old hat, modern products like Dinitrol are far more advanced.

Hi Webbaldo. Thanks for the feedback. I pulled waxoil out the hat. I know that Paul always discusses different products with me. So, when it comes to the choices, he’ll guide. I look up his and others’ suggestions, so.....I’ll go look up Dinitrol. Thanks for the advice. Living in Wales, and as I’m intending, using the bus daily will mean added weather protection. You know when you take trips around your local area you see the pitfalls of stuff that can compromise, then you have to put the right protection in place. Well, my journey to and from work is 20 country road miles and will throw loads underneath. Sometimes I drive through flowing dirty water across the roads, and stuff that comes from fields. The sides of the saloon car are caked with gunge and arches are thick with debris. So, the bus will get the same daily. Getting a decent hose is important too. Problem is...I’m knackered at end of day and back home in the dark. So will have to be motivated on days off. Roll on Summer. All the best. Thanks for the interest.

Very true, its the same up here in the north east, gets very wet and coastal trips don't help

Coastal trips ! Tell me about it. I live near the sea and need to keep away more from my favourite place, which is the dunes. I used to finish work, drop down to the sands and chill. You’d see wind swept salt drenched sand at times swirling around under the bus, saying “Yummy....something to eat!” Well they’re gonna have to go on a diet.

Hi Gray, great to see the updates it's really coming along I bet you're getting quite excited now :mrgreen:

Just won an eBay item. A Bosal exhaust. Seems they were liked by what I found in Google land. Also, VW Heritage have a discount offer going on. Bought a stainless steel tail pipe (stock) for £48. Just loaded this up with the sole purpose of wishing people a Merry Christmas and hope that you have a great 2018. Cheers for your support.

OK. Update. The whole of the bottom has been finished. All is in place. The pop top has been stripped, renovated and finished. To do? Respray, engine put back in, windows in, inside furniture and dash rehoused, and finished by mid to end of February. Paul has a new workshop to get to by end of next week. Hence his focus on getting all his gear to the new place. Bigger and more facilities and just up the road from the one now. Billy Bud looks as solid as a rock. I need hubcaps (mine have rust and holes), wing mirrors for front doors and we’re looking for a replacement engine door/lid/tailgate. The one at present is full of holes along the seams. Repairable, but crap basically. So, all looking great. Now, insurance and MOT.

Latest posts