rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant thread, it's been like a good book...hard to put down.
Thanks for documenting your build as it's inspired me to get my finger out with my tired old bus.

I think I must have gotten lucky - my first westy window all went together with new seals and no issues whatsoever. I popped the seal over the pane of glass and then cut a 90 degree notch out of each corner (but not all the way through so that the seal stayed in a continuous loop) and it all just pushed together easily. Also helps to keep the corners neat and tidy and stops the seal from pulling away from the trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Bristol Volksfest has come and gone again.
Didn't take any pictures of the lineup, as I had to work on teething issues due to it being a new site and set up, rather than do fuck all over the weekend.
Only pics were taken on Thursday.

Billy-no-mates.

Refreshments.

And our unofficial Type 3 & 4 owner's club pitch. Mostly blue as you can see.

PS You didn't miss much if you didn't get to see Jazzie B......

I disagree, Jazzy B rocked for me

When he dropped the White Stripes Seven Nation Army it just went off 8) 8) 8) 8)

creationblue said:
I disagree, Jazzy B rocked for me

When he dropped the White Stripes Seven Nation Army it just went off 8) 8) 8) 8)

That bit did, but the 30 second gaps between tracks wasn't professional, nor was turning up 5 minutes before his set and not getting acquainted with the equipment before starting.

Looks like the cut to length pushrods aren't correct. I've stuck a pair of CSP bolt on rocker covers on to make the issue go away until after EBI.

The pulley marks on the alternator are a concern though, so I made a spacer to move the pulley away from the alternator body as a short term solution. I have been having alternator belt issues recently, but think that it's more likely to be poor quality parts rather than the pulley regressing on the shaft.

Anyway, came home and fought with this fucker all afternoon.

It's in now and needs a clean. Although not as well fitting as I would like, I'm going to have to put some flexible windscreen caulk around the seal. Don't think you can get grey though.

To cheer myself up I went for a long drive in the square as the sun went down. :D

sparkywig said:
Anyway, came home and fought with this fucker all afternoon.

It's in now and needs a clean. Although not as well fitting as I would like, I'm going to have to put some flexible windscreen caulk around the seal. Don't think you can get grey though.

To cheer myself up I went for a long drive in the square as the sun went down. :D

Interesting that you mention sealing the seal - put ours in the garage yesterday and noticed that the brand new seals have obviously been letting water in at the top as it is being trapped along the bottom of the seal. If I carefully lift them with a screwdriver, small trickles of water come out. Guess the windows will be coming out again to dry out and then adding some form of sealant around the edge when refitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got some Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windscreen and Glass Sealer to try over the weekend if it stays dry. A friend with boats recommended it.
It apparently uses capillary action to find gaps and holes and allegedly seal them.

Last weekend was EBI 7.
All packed and ready to leave for Kent in the rain.

M25 :roll:

Stopover at the Archers Wednesday night.

Met up with Oakley, the Juhels and the Toffo crew, and then boarded the train early Thursday morning. By the way, that's Roger on the roofrack.

Convoy to Chimay via the Carrefour at Mons.

We arrived just before 3pm.

Camp pitched, beers opened and shenanigans begun....

Back to Roland's on the Sunday evening for a bbq and a couple of drinks. Well, maybe more than a couple.....

Sunset.

Awesome weekend, I had been looking forward to it for months and it didn't disappoint. Good company, lots of good beer, food and fun, and a few old VWs.
Oh, and rain that started Friday and finished on Sunday afternoon just before we packed up.....
Slightly marred by my starter solenoid packing up completely on Thursday, and a blowout on the Juhel's bus Monday morning on the way home.

Dubs at the Castle this weekend.
A trifle damp, but still had a good time with good company.

Camp Wig

earlybay.com lineup in the castle

Happy 50th Jake. :party0041:

The weekend was only marred by the theft of my coolbox from beside the bus late Saturday night. Although it was handed into security Sunday lunchtime, unfortunately empty and with a little more patina.

Looks like you have been enjoying the summer galavanting about both sides of the Channel
I came down to EBI on the Friday and it was primo the entire way down and just started raining about an hour after I arrived. On Sunday we headed back to Dunkirk for 1 day and 2 nights and got sunburnt on the beach!!!! I couldnt believe the rain all weekend.

Its a bugger about the cool box but happy you got it back.

Latest posts