XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Nick. Keeping the whole project as stock as possible. So looking at an oil bath filter system at the moment. When she's on the road Ynyslas will be the first ever visit. Paul has loads of photographs as the work progresses. One day, when he has time, I'll get them and upload.

Bought an oil bath air filter. Went to see the progress in the workshop on Friday. So much attention to the little details. Looked at the sliding door repair and it's sublime. Bottom half completely rebuilt. Paul spoke of how previously someone had used self tapping screws to simply attach the 'hardboard' panels. So...... full of inappropriate screw holes. He had weld filled them in and left the original door/wall panel holes ready for the proper door card bungs. So back to original intended profile for door cards. He said you wouldn't see the rogue holes....but we'd know they were there. That's a great attitude. Looks as solid as a rock what's been done. Photos soon.

Like the oil bath!, I did the same thing. You can still get the hose if its split. The coconut hair is easy to clean, just soak the whole thing is a vat of hot water and washing powder (daz etc). Shake it every 10 mins or so then drain out and repeat and hose the inside of the filter (hair) down. Once done leave to dry then a quick dip in paraffin will give a nice new coating to the coconut hair. The paraffin is light enough to give it a nice super thin oily coating (when the spirit evaporates) without being too heavy like normal oil (which would just clog it).

If looked after they really never wear out.

Hi Webbaldo. Thanks for the advice. Did read about cleaning methods in searching Google. Lots of different cleaning products mentioned, with a lot of arguments back and forth. But I like people who've done it, found a product that works and got the tshirt. So thanks. Mainly green eco friendly arguments of which product suits the environment etc.. Hopefully when I get it delivered it'll be a while until it needs the matting sorted. I spoke to my guru, Paul, who swears by them for effective outcomes. So really pleased and feel happy "stock" ideal is being followed still.

New photos. More will follow. There's lots happening all in the past months/weeks to catch up on. Roof re-enforced in preparation for the pop top. Underneath looks a whole different ball game. So, I'll re-upload the bus underside from when Paul first got hold of her.

No photographs as yet. Just an update on the choice of paint and underside. Connaught green all body and Snowberry white to roof. Paul listed this:

Hi Gray,

On bare metal etch is always used, its a key component in the paint process, after that you have your primers, high build and standard. The high build is basically a primer/filler to help remove surface imperfections, then the normal primer is used to get a fine finish for top coats. All the paints I use are 2k. The photos will show different colour primers as the paint process progresses. The other products I use are Raptor which is a 2k polyurethane hard wearing topcoat, this is used on the underside to really protect the painted metal, and after the whole underside is wax coated and injected.

I’ve used a lot of the products they use on earlybay...zinc primer, Rustbullet, POR15, they all work in there own right but I tend to stick to one manufactures products on a job to reduce any chances of reactions. In your case it is all Upol primers, hardeners and Glasurit ,Besa Urki for topcoat paint

Few more photos re: the build. Love those early flat front nearside/offside arches. From the eBay purchase of a sandblasted front end. Original German metalwork from 40 plus years ago. Got somewhere to put my feet now too with that floor taking shape.

Images from the rebuild taken by Paul. It's a project coming along nicely. These could be from anytime over the last couple of months. I haven't been able to get to the workshop for a while.

Hi Andy. Yes it is. Throughout the rebuild, Paul has been working on other projects too. Some really special stuff. One off unique Cars mainly. Rare old things. So the old girl takes a back seat now and again for a month or two at a time. If the bus could talk it'd tell a great story of seeing Phoenix's rising from the ashes. Mind you, he wants the dub finished now, so is intent on getting finished. I'm wanting to use the bus again as my only transport. It needs to be tip top. Hope your own project is getting along. Still wanting to sell I suppose. Hope you eventually change your mind.

Hi All.
Paul sent some pics and his final evaluation of what work is needed. His phone that has taken photos of the work previously has a broken screen. So he will work out how to retrieve for the future. When I get Billy Bud back, she’ll be my daily ride. That’s when I’ll have to really get involved with maintaining her and developing my own skills. I’m not shy. Used to do bits and bobs before. Changed the starter motor, overhauled the heat exchangers/exhaust, air tubes, engine seals and various metal pots through the tinware, faffed with the fan belt adjustment washers, replaced spring in the steering column (without one when I bought her and the steering wheel wobbled side to side), wiper mechanism, etc….As said…bits and bobs. Wanna get serious now though. Keep her safe. Paul’s email…..The best bit is that approx 3 week window.

Below is the relevant bit from Paul’s email.

“Gearbox is painted and most of the engine tinware.

I have the drivers side rear to complete still, lots of inner structure to repair on the rear corner unfortunately, then I can put in the battery tray and rear corner skin.

I have to replace the rear outer cross member and a section under the driver side rear window also (2 small panels to purchase)

I will be needing the laminate flooring you have. I need to get the ply subfloor, lots of cables...(clutch, brakes accelerator and heaters) , 2 x door seals... brakes hoses, clutch, etc sorting out. and possibly brake overhaul? Planning approx 3 week to be finished and MOTed…….”

Thanks Andy. Early Christmas pressie. Nice to see you active too. Great thread. All those parts called thingy? Can’t find them in the Bentley index under ‘t’. 😉. Shame about your intentions to move the bus on. If you sell as intended in the future, may not see you at some future dub event. If you rock up as a visitor, be nice to say hello.

Hi Gareth, I’ll stay away from his workshop for a while. He loves to chat about the VeeDub experience as a whole. Great insights to all areas. When he gets started on yours I’ll probably see your bus as I’ll be dropping in time to time.

Hi Nick. Going to be Ynyslas dunes at some point. But I’m not going as often as I used to. Salt is a monster and the Nant y Moch lakes, valley views and forests are preferable. I drive through Caersws quite a bit still so you may spot her. There or on the Machynlleth to Caersws stretch. Bala, Betws y coed, Tenby/Llanelli and.......well, Wales in general is my first plan.

Cheers Matty. Just been to drop off some beech flooring my Mum’s work colleague gave us way back when. Paul reckons it’s from the early eighties. Almost bakerlite in quality. Robust stuff. Should handle the kids tramping over it. Saw the van and it’s almost there build wise. Paul had the wiring bundle in position working out it’s validity and seeing if changes oughta happen. It’s looking pretty good to be honest. We talked about certain elements of the original build (microbus) and what he found when ripping it apart (paper and foil stuffed in gaps). Great renovation from the guy I bought it from........not! Funny enough, Spoke about you this afternoon. That first journey of yours freezing with no heat available. It was how I travelled about for years. Not anymore though. I’ll actually have heat. Got repro heat exchangers with not as many fins in than the originals. But who cares. I’ll be warm enough. Thanks for the interest.

As said above, OLD photographs from maybe a month or two ago. Pop top stripped down. Have bought full replacement seals. No photos of current state but new vinyl to go on and attaching embellishments after respray/clean up. All rivets in Centre section replaced by Paul. Gutter has a small section example of repair. Now all gutter sections evaluated and repaired. The battery tray area at the back exposed and all cleaned, repaired, welded with new tray. The bus looks completely different at present time. Thought I’d load these photos up to show what goes on metal work wise at the nitty gritty end. Engine lower tinware are all in situ. And bought new engine tinware rear and front. Also various bits and pieces far too many to mention now. Rubber door, side door, rear hatch, window, engine seals. Bits of metalwork when original too far gone. Clutch, brake, heater cables, clutch kit, shift rod coupling, seals, bushes, brake hoses/pipes, pop top covering, Loads of various seals, gaskets, etc., etc. Basically I’ve got a ton of invoices for prosperity.

Nearly there now. Been a long time but can’t wait to get back behind the wheel. I reckon driving the old girl is one of the best stress busters known. When new photographs of current state come in from Paul, I’ll post them.

Photos have come up on NEXT page #5>>>>>> and a bit out of sequence. Wouldn’t upload on this page for some reason.

Latest posts