Mater from San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on the mot, always good for a pass without bother.

That new engine sounds great! Nearly double the bhp! That was always on the cards for me, but the old one just kept chugging on...it was slow though....

Nice result all round! [emoji106]

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Rather frustratingly after the instal of my new engine, for the 1st dozen or so starts it would fire on 1st turn of the key. It wasn't long before a prolonged crank was required, I put it down to running in and a proper carb tune being required. So 2k miles later he goes for its final run in service, has its tune & is running like a peach through all gears but still won't start 1st turn of the key, bloody annoying!! Anyway, I kind of come to terms with it and learnt a work around technique with certain accelerator presses dependent on engine temperature etc. It was a couple of days ago that a blessing in the form of a noise of a continuos beep came from my solar unit, being a bit slow on the uptake I thought it was a solar issue but after eliminating that as a possibility I looked at my battery (leisure is brand new so new that was good). I took the main battery out tested it and it was at 12.6v??? Perfect for a 4-5 year battery!! I am always suspicious of trusting a battery on a voltage reading alone and as I didn't have a ampmeter I thought id get a new one anyway. So I was going to get a direct replacement but on checking it out it was only 470cca (Cold cranking amps), bit more research and apparently 500cca is a minimum recommendation. I reckon the 470 was just enough for the loose running 1600 but when I went 1776 and everything is tighter that it just wasn't enough. So I upgraded the battery to the one pictured which is 740cca and a presto starting on the button again, happy days :)

That's a big battery fella!

Probably the high spec engine did the old one, was fine for the stock engine though. It was a new battery I fitted, but yeah, probably 4/5 Years ago.. Probably a receipt for it somewhere in your paperwork.

Alistair

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

aogrady said:
That's a big battery fella!

Probably the high spec engine did the old one, was fine for the stock engine though. It was a new battery I fitted, but yeah, probably 4/5 Years ago.. Probably a receipt for it somewhere in your paperwork.

Alistair

Yeah its in the photo library you past on and the RAC guy put a sticker on it. Theres a battery thread going on now somewhere on here and mine is small in comparison to theres :shock: Not sure if my 1776 needs more but its definitely going to be a lot tighter being new, sure this killed it.

Bit of an update.

Just swapped out my alternator and regulator for an all in one Bosch jobbie. It presented as a problem in a strange way, it was outputting 13.5v but was causing a parasitic drain on the main battery when electrics were being used with the ignition off, guessing something funky was going on with one of the diodes in the regulator. It appears to have killed my new battery though but thats under warranty so shall see what happens there. I have a nice 14.7v outputting now so happy days :D

I have been having fun and games trying to resolve a problem with my solar and split charge system. Its a T max unit so if anyone ends up getting one of these and finds the solenoid constantly switching between battery's heres the answer...... Found a guy having similar problems on a Land Rover forum and here is the fix

"I am having an issue with my T-Max dual battery system switching back and forth from linked when charging from a solar panel. I thought I would post it here since similar issues have been discussed and maybe someone can help shed some light on something I might be missing. I'm testing a setup that is installed with a solar panel to charge my dual batteries. It is a 100w panel that is wired through a morning star 10A controller(SS10A) to the axillary battery just as described in the T-max instruction manual in accordance with the SS10A instructions. The T-max instructions state that the controller will automatically link the batteries when charging from a solar source to the AUX battery.

It appears that, when the panel is providing power, the SS10A controller charges the aux battery when the 2 batteries are not linked and the voltage increases to the AUX battery. At the point where the battery voltage is above 14v and increasing several things happen at about the same time. It appears that the Solar controller goes into a float charging mode, and the T-max controller links the batteries. Then the batteries are disconnected within a few(3) seconds. The amount of time it takes to switch back to automatically linked depends on the output from the panel. at 1-6 amps it takes around 4-12 seconds.

This automatic switching back and forth will continue until the solar panel stops producing power or the batteries are manually linked. Of course the controller will automatically disconnect the manual linked operation after 30 minutes and the cycle repeats itself.
It seems that the issue that I was having and described above, is related to the sensitivity of the T-Max cut out voltage for charging and connecting/disconnecting the batteries.

I Found that at ~13.3 volts the T-max controller will connect both batteries for charging. The owners instructions provide this cut in spec, but do not provide the cut out/off spec. In any case, it is relatively easy for my auxiliary battery to reach that 13.3 volts with minimal charge from the solar controller. Then the T-max controller activates the solenoid and links both batteries. At this time the voltage drops. This is based on the state of charge of the main battery and the voltage drop across the solenoid or other loads. My voltage would often drop to 12.8 volts. This is low enough for the T-max controller to disconnect the batteries. Within 30 seconds of being disconnected, the charging voltage of the auxiliary battery reaches above 13.3 volts and this cycle repeats itself.

The sensitivity of the cut in cut out settings on the T-max controller operated the battery solenoid much more often than I desire.
I also did not like that the T-max controller automatically links both batteries when the vehicle is started. T

I decided to add an on- off -on switch to the green lead from the controller that operates the battery link solenoid. This gives me 3 main options.
1- ON-(green to ground) both batteries linked all of the time allows jump starting and charging and avoids any timers to automatically disconnect the batteries.
2- OFF- keeps both batteries disconnected all of the time. (this is the one that I am using most often) In a standard single battery setup the main battery does not need additional charging from sources other than the alternator during normal operation most of the time. This prevents my main battery from being discharged by auxiliary loads. My Solar panel is an adequate charging source to keep my auxiliary battery charged most of the time, depending on the sun and loads. I can always connect both batteries during a long drive, if my auxiliary battery needs charging.
3- ON- (green to green) resumes operation as designed by the T-max controller."

So long read short, next job is fit a on off switch although pulling the fuse will suffice for now!!

Interesting, I can't say I noticed it switching too often, as you know when I fitted it, it was a bit temporary so I could experiment with it, prior to hiding it all away somewhere along with updating the fuses and wiring, anyway, I digress.. I wonder if the battery setting on the solar control system is set to the correct number for the leisure battery.?

Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me what setting it should be on, hopefully the instructions are in all the folders....

AFAIK the tmax will link as the charge increases, with a manual link available if you need extra cranking in a emergency, a manual switch seems like a good idea.

Does it still do this annoying switching when running a load such as the Waeco fridge?

The solar charger unit you have is a really good one BTW...

I got this fitted on the T5.

http://www.bblbatteriesonline.co.uk/index.php/products/accessories/amp-pi4-25c-amperor-power-integrator

I can use the power source switch on the Zig unit to allow the above preferential control over the starter battery or leisure, handy if I've left the lights or radio on. The Ampera unit will trickle charge the starter battery once the multi stage charge is completed on the leisure....

Alistair

Thanks for the reply Alastair, hope all is well. I have had a good route through all the paperwork but can't find much for troubleshooting. It did it last year when the leisure battery went and a new battery cured it until now. What the guy says on the copy and paste makes perfect sense for what I have going on now, both battery's are at that critical point of charge where the switching takes place. The solenoid causes a fair old draw switching too. I don't think I have a fault now, more a case of that's just how it is. Only does it at stationary with nothing switched on,as soon as the fridge is on it's fine. Supports the reasoning of the battery's being close to equal charge when not in use.....I think!! The batteries are sealed so have it on number 2 same as in your old pics.

Hope your enjoying the T5. You going to Dubs@the castle?

Yes, it all makes sense to me, I recall now, it clonking on when out in the sun with nothing on, and then turning off a while later....

Number 2 rings a bell...

I wonder if tmax have a solution?

Yeah, the big 5 is going well thanks.! [emoji6]

Not got any plans for shows yet, I see that one is sold out...

Alistair

So I thought I'd try it on :lol:

Hi

I have a 1970 VW t2 westy that I am going to be putting some roof bars on. The bus does get around a lot and goes to a lot of the VW shows, And is getting constantly photographed.We live in Cornwall so quite often we are parked up at various beaches. Almost everywhere we go our bus gets attention and usually catch people taking a pic next to or in front of it for their albums. Anyway, to the point, you are the 1st we have approached and wondered if you would like to give us some of your extra wide roof bar pads to put on our van for some cheap advertising? Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Craig

Well guys if you don't ask you don't get!!! Massively exceeded my expectations, loving the clock and the Hula girl is a definite upgrade to our existing one :lol:

They asked for a few pics of the van and that was all.

I haven't made my mind up on the roof bars yet Alistair, fixed or removable. Soon as I've decided and buy some I will get some pics up. Its a shame really as they could do with being quite a bit wider to run the full width of the bars. I will probably get some some more plain black to go either side, rope or something to complete the look. Im warming to a side ladder to but the ones I've seen in the flesh would dent the van if used and are more for show than using. Any suggestions on a ladder?

CornishSilver said:
I haven't made my mind up on the roof bars yet Alistair, fixed or removable. Soon as I've decided and buy some I will get some pics up. Its a shame really as they could do with being quite a bit wider to run the full width of the bars. I will probably get some some more plain black to go either side, rope or something to complete the look. Im warming to a side ladder to but the ones I've seen in the flesh would dent the van if used and are more for show than using. Any suggestions on a ladder?
I've seen the side ladders, but the rear ladders look good, but probably not the best place to go?

Cheers

Alistair

Little update. Decided there were to many disadvantages to get fixed feet on the roof so have gone down the gutter pack route. I do like the look ( badass comes to mind), not sure on the Northcore pads though. I do have some others on route so have scope to chop and change. I managed to find a 1970 2.2m ski box for the roof at the weekend which was a result, not a bad colour match too. It's going to look great with the kayak one side and box on the other. Sell the trailer now to which in my mind is a good thing... less to go wrong!!

Not to forget the small things, but I gave it a oil change and set up the valve clearance's this morning ahead of our Kent trip next week as well

aogrady said:
Looks great! Has the pop top had a lick of paint? Looks brighter than I remember?

Cheers mate, No its just had a good wash and had a double coat of wax. The sun has made the colours different to what they actually are, the body looks really white in the pic and the roof box too beige. Got more pads through the post today so go options for looks now too :msn4:

Looking well. I used collinite 476s, I use collinite marque d'elegance on the T5, it has a higher base carnauba wax in it, but quite expensive at £35+ for a tub. Seen good results from Fusso Wax too.

Awesome bus and fantastic stance!!
Love the roof bars!! BadAss x 2

e8ebd52baa38c08e08c901deec750a4b.png

Highs and lows at Dubs@TheCastle!

Haha Cheers Stu, I was literally (2 mins ago) just looking at this photo in my libary to upload!!! Spooky. Great meeting yourself & Claire and all the others, we had a great weekend.

Latest posts