'ROCKY' the saga continues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomuken

Reaction score
Just a little introduction to WHY we bought a bus. Early march my life has changed, my little boy was born. Ans as we soon found out my Volkswagen Notchback wasn’t exactly what you would call baby-friendly. I couldn’t get the child seat to fit and I couldn’t get the stroller in the trunk. After this disappointment my wife and I thought about how we could still combine the aircooled passion to our family life. And there was a simple answer. A bus! Since the beginning of our aircooled days we talked about having a bus one day. So my beloved type 3 named Otto was sold, so was her Mini Cooper convertible which left us with a reasonable budget for a bus.

So what should we buy? A bus, a T2, a camper, check. What else? Preferably a t2a or a t2a/b. And as we are buying this bus together, color was a criteria. So no green, no yellow, no orange. As my spare time is zero to none at the moment, it had to be something ready, get in and drive… Even though I would have loved to build it myself.
Because of the regional price differences I mainly searched in the Netherlands, Belgium and UK. I got contacted here on earlybay by Peter who was selling his stunning 1970 t2a. Checked his build thread and was absolutely delighted. But yeah, the westy was way over my budget, but Peter suggested swapping a stock engine and removing some goodies to approach our budget. Many mails, chats and weeks later all was planned. So off to UK. And just so you all know it, Peter (toffo24) went some serious lengths with the sale of his bus, super honest, genuine and sincere person!

Picked up 2 buddies and coupled up the trailer

a20160610_093633-copy.jpg

Off we went to the Eurotunnel in Calais. There are always some nice things to see while waiting

adsc_0312-copy.jpg

a20160610_151317-copy.jpg

Luckily Peter and his bus only live a few miles from the Eurotunnel in the UK. After about 15min we arrived at his home. What should I say? I instantly fell in love with it.

adsc_0328-copy.jpg

a20160610_170215-copy.jpg

After a warm welcome, a bit of inspecting the bus, chatting I went for a test drive. Followed by some more chatting, inspecting,…

adsc_0322-copy.jpg

adsc_0329-copy.jpg

adsc_0323-copy.jpg

Unfortunately I’m like a little kid on Christmas when it comes to buy such lovely cars. It doesn’t help much when it comes to negotiations, but that’s how I am. After a few hours of chatting to him and his lovely wife Jil we signed the sales contract, counted some money and drank tea. Seller happy, buyer happy, perfect. Peter agreed to keep the bus and the trailer at his place so it wouldn't be knicked from the hotel parking spot.
In the evening we went to Folkestone, checked-in at the hotel and went for dinner at Googies (thanks for the advice Peter), some beers,…

wp-1465981725249.jpg

Woke up next morning, drove back to Hawkinge, loaded the bus, selfie time and back on the road direction home.

adsc_0333-copy.jpg

a20160611_094014-copy.jpg

Once on the train, into the bus and enjoying the channel crossing ;)

adsc_0339-copy.jpg

adsc_0340-copy.jpg

After 5 hours of driving through France and Belgium we unloaded the bus and I drove the last leg home in Rocky. In the rain. Super happy about the outcome of this deal and about the new jewel in my garage!

a20160611_185830-copy.jpg

Welcome and what an amazing bus you have!
Cant wait to hear the updates and your plans

Great Pictures and background Bobby, have fun with our old Pal and see you all soon :) ps Happy Father's Day!

After some fiddling with the german TÜV I was finally able to get Rocky regsitered. Yesterday I had the first "legal" ride in it ;)
wp-image-1536570602jpg.jpg

wp-image-302450457jpg.jpg

And some snaps from a smaller local meet I attended two weeks ago:

wp-1467619404599.jpg

wp-1467619427864.jpg

wp-1467619404600.jpg

wp-1467036582750.jpg

wp-1467036421449.jpg

wp-1467036421442.jpg

wp-1467036421422.jpg

Some minor works, km/h tach (almost NOS, was removed from a 800km vehicle when exported to the US in 1969), new LHD H4 lights and door straps to replace the cracked ones.
wp-1469427435991.jpg

wp-1469437649611.jpg

Congratulations on buying this, it's a great bus, one of my top 5, just needs a nice big motor and it's finished.....what are your plans for it?

Thx for the pic @DirtyHarry

Small recap of my first season of ownership: it was awesome.
Did roughy 4000 trouble free miles on multiple daytrips, and some bigger ones to france, belgium and germany.
Did some aircooled events with Spa Bug show as season highlight, went to some cars and coffe events and some vintage car shows. Nothing but good memories and lots of people loving "Rocky"

Some random snaps:
img_0168.jpg

img_0166.jpg

img_0167.jpg

img_0170.jpg

First ride out with my baby boy "Alex"
img_0171.jpg

Nothing but good moments together with friends:
img_0172.jpg

All washed up for winter storage:
img_0165.jpg

In hibernation together with my other toy:
img_0175.jpg

Nothing new here, just took 'Rocky' out of hibernation on Friday. Luckily I found a fuel leak right at the carburettor in time!!! So I changed all the fuel lines and cruised around with the family without any real destination. Felt so good to be in the bus again!

After the first 50 miles or so i felt major power loss when going uphill, I mean even slower than it normally does with its stock engine ;) But wasn't anything major, just a loose spark plug wire. Even though I checked these the day before...

Minor mod on the bus: New 'VW Heritage' exhaust. Stock(ish) look, not noisy, but nice and shiny stainless.

A thread is worthless without pics, so herer you go:
share-bouillon1.jpg

share-bouillon2.jpg

share-bouillon3.jpg

share-tour-1.jpg

share-tour-2.jpg

Latest posts