XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysummers

Reaction score
Little Village on the MidWest Wales Coast
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Hi,
Title? Rebuild or restoration or renovation? Difficult to say really. You start off with a buy from someone who sells you a long time wished for. You pay out the price asked for, drive around in the "old girl" for 4 to 5 years everyday for both work and pleasure. Things go wrong with this and that and you fix it yourself or you get the local rural garage to fix the problems that arise and you get it through the MOTs. Then, there comes a time when everything just gets beyond. A sense of foreboding and a knowing that the bus is beyond the easy fix and quite a few thousand is needed to keep you and your passengers safe. The grandkids are involved by now.

Take it off the road and it sits there for years. The grandchildren love the old girl because they have spent so many special times on the beach in her. Finally, you think, Sell or the above three words. Rebuild Renovate Restore?....the 3 Rs

My wife finds out about a guy who loves Veedubs and we get in touch. And so the story begins. He is an all round inspirational guy who is in business, and accepts the job of fixing the bus. Suddenly I realised the 3 Rs are important. I needed to think about what the aim was. I want a sound bus, roadworthy but don't want to belittle it's history. So we talk all the options and sympathetic considerations. There are truly massive expensive choices and there are many we'll have to hunt down..... the best options for inclusion that doesn't cost an absolute fortune. I'm a nurse, with a salary to match !!! and a pressure job that knackers me out. I'm also 60 years old and haven't got the energy of a young 'un any more.

We'll work it out as we go along I feel. Because each step is a consideration and negotiation.

I started this in the general blog, but realise it would be nice to have a story board.

Let's see how this turns out. I want a bus on the road to be proud of........and that keeps the grandchildren safe.

The bus/old girl ......The name given was Billie (my grandad's nickname). Bud came from a Morrisey song. Also we noticed it was Dub backwards. That was after a few Jack Daniels. We bought it like this. The furniture we bought off eBay. RVTec, I think, were the company. Nice stuff to buy at the time. Looked at original Danbury furniture at the time and just gawped at the prices and the condition the various offerings were in. We decided to put the "stock" desires on hold.
23kpugm.jpg

21ewx8y.jpg

5mmq39.jpg

33bil53.jpg

The grandkids ran around Billie Bud all excited......example
2pt3yuq.jpg

What follows is the start of the downward spiral.

Paul, our all round good guy, took a few initial photos of what it looked like after initial pulling apart and we just went......the "F***" word.
28r1t0m.jpg

106afwp.jpg

x52z9u.jpg

2ihw3r8.jpg

p8u89.jpg

And there were a dozen more, each one worse. He has blasted the whole van and revealed a lot of holes everywhere.
ifbec0.jpg

So.....we're at the stage where we've bought a load of underside panels and side panels and a lovely old pop top from eBay. Be in touch again with how it's progressing.

Fernando. Cheers. The bus at the top is from years ago. The bus is currently a shell with a long way to go.

Bluesnailman. Cheers. The thing is, it will be another great historical vehicle on the road that has everything for a fantastic lifestyle. It's why we love them. They deserve to be kept out there. Notice how many people smile when they look at one?

Hi Gjb,
Cheers for the support. Had a look at your thread. You're a fighter. I have a bit of luxury having someone who has the experience and skills to work on our bus. But the feeling is the same. I find your words with the pictures similar to my own thoughts. It made me smile. It's the confidence that Paul has and the reassurance that it'll turn out ok that makes me feel better. I can't see yet where your bus is at now. Any links?

Hi Gray, some great pics there, it can be quite scary what's found under the belly pans :shock: but looks like it will be sorted properly for you.
It will definitely be worth it :D keep the pics coming Nick.

Hi Nick,
Will do. Spoke with Paul today who took receipt of the two lower back corners and wheel arches. VW Heritage provided. Apparently decent quality. He thought a full front cab floor would be needed, but Schofields do two sections big enough to bridge to my middle section which is still ok. Still looking for a front panel. But the enquiry Paul made was ridiculous money apparently. I've been looking all over the net, but no luck. Seen one on eBay with floor and piping attached but LHD and looks like a rust problem exists. Sick of looking at rust. May have to get a newbie skin. Also, new battery shelves to be put in to house battery and leisure battery. Other panels too, but not too many now. Have bought most needed Paul says. After the solids, it's engine rebuild, respray, rewire. The old bus must be having goosebumps. Will get photos uploaded as soon as possible. All the best.

Thanks Andy. Typical of salt sea air. Took the bus to the local dunes a lot. Think I'll head for the hills instead. But then again, the rain in Wales and the fact it was my daily transport and driven in all weathers and the poor seals around the windows and the gaps all over all contributed. It's going to be waxed and protected beyond belief once it's up and running.

Thanks Andy. Just read an inspirational thread by type2tattoo Lyndsey. Feel humbled by this lady's tenacity and purpose. As a staff nurse I have nothing but admiration for her spirit with the turmoil she had surrounding those years. So, she has given my own project has that extra oomph. Like the guys in the thread, yourself included, were saying "another bus saved". I will be attempting to put effort into the bus, but can't tackle the huge need of rebuild at the level required. I've changed starter motors, altered fan belt tensions, mucked about with interventions I've sworn at and tried this and that in the past. John Muir's compleat idiots guide mostly thumbed through. Hoping to get to some festivals. Maybe the Lyndsey inspired one. Never done that before. What my contribution is.....I can keep the old girl Billie Bud maintained and safe. Cheers for your interest BTW.