71 Seattle Westy Restoration - Done, Time to go camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great!

Where did you get the rear 3/4 opening window seal sets from and are they any good? Got to replace all of mine but half tempted to just go for solid windows all round or maybe sliders...

georgeyv said:
Looks great!

Where did you get the rear 3/4 opening window seal sets from and are they any good? Got to replace all of mine but half tempted to just go for solid windows all round or maybe sliders...

I think it was from Custom and Commercial. Schofields sell them too. OK quality. I had to replace my opening window though as the bottom was rotten which is a common problem and why many people go for a full one piece window.

It passed the MOT with flying colours so very pleased. I am a bit disappointed that the gearbox seems to have developed a whine in all gears except first which is odd. I need to now consider whether I get it rebuilt. As always with a resto 2 steps forward 1 step back lol

Fab van there. For your gearbox whine, you could try messing with the height of the front gearbox mount....

Mine was too high, forcing the gear linkage upwards and making it push against the hollow tube it runs inside - lowered it about 5mm and much better (I did refurb the gearbox as well though...). You can take the mount out by jacking engine and gearbox, taking the bolts out the engine mounts and shuffling it back about 2 inches.

Bluesnailman said:
Fab van there. For your gearbox whine, you could try messing with the height of the front gearbox mount....

Mine was too high, forcing the gear linkage upwards and making it push against the hollow tube it runs inside - lowered it about 5mm and much better (I did refurb the gearbox as well though...). You can take the mount out by jacking engine and gearbox, taking the bolts out the engine mounts and shuffling it back about 2 inches.

Interesting. How did you lower it. I thought it was fixed.

Cheers

Out with the engine and gearbox. I've dropped the gearbox off at Bears for a rebuild so I'm having time off from working on the van now for Xmas.

Cheers

Update

Recon gearbox fitted and running perfect. I've had some issues with the carb so now fitted a genuine Solex. I refurbished this myself with new throttle bushes. Just got to set it up better but running well now. Also fitted a Powerspark electronic ignition distributor, new leads and plugs.

The van then went back to the Bodyshop for a few minor paint rectification a and all now looking superb. So onwards to the interior at last. I've got my birch panels ready to make all new wood panels. That's the next job. Pictures to follow.

Hi Kev where did you get your throttle bushes or did you have them made.
Cheers
Sam

Having spent too much time getting the engine running and am behind. I wanted the van ready for camping this summer but may have missed that already. Anyway, spent the past few weeks making wooden panels from 3mm birch and very pleased with the results. 3 coats of matt clear varnish and they look great. So now working on fitting the panels and curtains, which are original Westy material from J&S. Then it's onto making a new floor, vinyl, then main hookup electrics, so still lots to do.

I'm fitting bitchumen sound panels, 10 mm foam sound panels and extra for the roof mainly, foil insulation from Wickes.

Roof insulation today. Bitumen pads, 10 mm foam sound insulation then foil insulation with double sided tape. You can tell it makes a big difference just by banging the panels.

New floor made today. In fact I made 2 so I have one ready for the 72 in a year or two's time. I'm going to give it 2 coats of exterior varnish to protect it. I have also used exterior grade ply.

I also dropped the cushions off to J&S to have the Mustard vinyl fitted and the front Cab seat recovered.

More sound insulation. This was the last bit. Two layers, bitumen panels, then 10mm foam. I'm also putting foil heat insulation on top.

I've now installed a shoulder raiser for the LH side to enable a 3 point inertia belt to be fitted. All belts are now fitted. The other 2 being lap belts.

Latest posts