The Turd, 1969 sunroof van refresh, finished and driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I just came across this thread and am blown away. I am so pleased to find this as I found and bought about 7 or 8 years ago what I believe is an almost all original 1969 deluxe almost exactly like this - only difference I can see is mine does not have a sunroof. Found it on ebay after I got the bug to get a bus and started researching. I bought it sight unseen from Oregon, flew up from Southern California, picked it up an drove it home with my daughter, who was at the time 12ish.

I am not a mechanic and don't know the details like you do, but I just love the thing and I have cleaned it up a ton over the years, and pulled the engine and rebuilt it a couple of years ago, using the dummy's guide. If you are interested, I will try to post up some pictures, here are a few in the meantime.

I am just getting a second wind with it and am starting to do some more work on it. I just spent time this weekend on it, and actually just pulled out that vinyl over the sliding door thinking it was not original :(

Anyway, quick question for you - what did you do to the seats to get them back to their original color? Mine are all original, but have yellowed a bit over the years.

1150963.jpg

1150961.jpg

1150959.jpg

1150958.jpg

pwncpa said:
Anyway, quick question for you - what did you do to the seats to get them back to their original color? Mine are all original, but have yellowed a bit over the years.

1150959.jpg

1150958.jpg

Nice van, I just love the subdued color of Savannah beige.
I used a product called Pink Solution at 100% concentration with a scrub brush. Its quite gentle and works great. I also used bit of Castrol Super clean on some real stubborn spots, but its fairly harsh on vinyl so you don't want to leave it on very long. I just looked up Pink Solution and it looks like a couple of places in California sell it. Here is the link to there find a retailer page https://pinksolution.ca/WhereToBuy/findARetailer.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shorty said:
I've not looked at this thread before, and now I'm sitting here completely blown away by what I've just seen... This bus is epic! I'd go so far as to say its amongst the best on the planet in terms of originality and condition...

It's truly beautiful..

Ditto/WHS^^^^ :shock: :shock:

How have I missed this thread???? This bus looks like it has just rolled out of the factory..... no..... its even better than that!!!!!!!

Speechless ;)

I hate to bring up this old thread but I was going through my iPhoto and found a few pics of the van from last summer sitting in my driveway. Not the best but better than most of my iPhone pics in the thread.

I had The Turd out last week. I've always wanted a set of 14" Lemmerz trim rings for the bus. So when a NOS set came up for sale recently I pondered for a while but finally decided to buck up and buy them as I knew I would kick myself in the future for not doing it.

I didn't drive this bus much this summer. A few local outings and a trip to Seattle for a show and swap in July. Here's a shot that a friend took on the way home

That's probably it for updates for another year

Looks great. How many have you got at the moment, I've lost track? Pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read through this for the first time, amazing thread and very well written - I love this bus - it's like mine, but about 99 percent cleaner :D

Wonderful work, well done, you really can polish a turd!

Haven't been on here in a while again. Here's a sunny February day pic (a bit chilly to have the sunroof open). Only been driven a few hundred miles in the past few years but the original paint still shines like new. Been busy with other projects.

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more on here when I get my Westy home eventually.

Latest posts