71 Seattle Westy Restoration - Done, Time to go camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been over to the bodyshop today and good progress now he's back on my van. All paint has been stripped on the outside back to bare metal now and primed with the guide coat on for flatting. The bumpers are finished and are on for a trial fit. Roof and pop top are finished.

Been over to the bodyshop today. I've been telling him he can slow down finishing it as I'm working on the 72 at the moment. The plan now is to be finished by October so he's been working on final gloss painting of the inside of doors and some of the trim, plus he's been flatting some outer panels. The doors look great consider how tatty they were. This is the correct Pastel white but looks a bit green in the fluro lights in the paint booth.

Been to the bodyshop today and the van is in the paint booth which was great to see. The engine bay is being glossed, all doors, engine lid and tailgate shut lines done, finished inside and all the outside is now flatted off ready for final glossing. Won't be long now...:)

Lee C said:
Lookin 8) 8)
It's unbelievable the amount(&cost) of masking that goes into a respray!!!!

Thanks mate. Not to mention the costs of running a spray booth. He had 2 x3kw fans running to clear the fumes before I went in.

It’s all painted woohoo. Very happy with the finish. He’s currently flatting and machine polishing. The engine lid was finished so he took it outside to show me. I’m especially pleased how he’d kept the labels and has re-fitted them in the original position. So before it comes back all the glass will be refitted with new seals, louvre windows have been refurbished by me with new seals. The pop top needs refitting with new seals. He’s replaced all the wood and painted in OG colour to match the gel coat in satin white and painted all the mechanism in silver. So won’t be long before it’s back home now.

Thanks guys. Yes will be a pleasure putting it back together. Still a long way off and I've got winter in the way...boo!

The polishing is going well, doors are on and the rear top fitted. I took over a brand new front windscreen and all new seals today so won't be long before the glass is all in. The Front Pop top is ready for fitting too.

All the glass in, new seals and lovely new front screen. We couldn't put the left side with opening quarter as the seal needs replacing so that's the next job.

Lush - looks fantastic!
Hope you aren't too scared to use it after getting it looking like new! 8)

Kev,

Thought I'd check out your resto thread after you mentioned it when you picked the gear stick up. There's some good work gone in there and it looks stunning mate.

Good luck with getting the 72 sorted.

Regards

Gus.

gman4175 said:
Kev,

Thought I'd check out your resto thread after you mentioned it when you picked the gear stick up. There's some good work gone in there and it looks stunning mate.

Good luck with getting the 72 sorted.

Regards

Gus.

Thanks Gus. Nice to meet you. Looking forward to getting the 72 on the road then I can start thinking about putting the 71 back together in the New Year

Final assembly now at the body shop. One last window to fit due to a split seal on the rear opener. Doors, sliding and tailgate seals on. The usual slight problems with the cab door seals but they are pretty good but a little tight. Almost finished.

Latest posts