Old mother tucker

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to buy j-tubes, anyone got any stainless ones they want to sell me please?

Its funny when you find the love for something again. This truck and I have always had a love hate relationship; I've always hated the colour, I was never happy with some of the workmanship done to it over the years (and I'm not pointing the finger to anyone here, just making an observation) and I always had that 'grass is greener feeling'. But something always draws me back to it and after taking it out the other weekend to Spring Break, I realised its a keeper, despite all of its bad qualities.

10289826_10202216166550936_1372756232612973011_n.jpg

And its not a 'vee dub thing'. I hate that phrase. Its a productivity/creativity/social thing. So yesterday I did something I've not done for a long time... Hard graft on my truck.

Swapped the exhaust for a stainless stock item, fitted rear splash pans someone had given me, changed the rear indicator lenses, replaced the speedo cable, adjusted and checked the front brakes, replaced a front bearing and regreased everything, and lowered the rear another inch. Hell I even filled up the washer bottle.

10274305_10152351712603827_372601386485366121_n.jpg

Yesterday made me realise why I love these old hacks, not VWs particularly, old rusty vehicles in general. Its the sense of ownership from wrenching on your car and getting that sense of pride and achievement when you roll it out. I did that. Make of it what you will, but I think some people get so caught up in perfection in their car they forget whats its all about... making you smile.

On a side note, the other problem I always had is that the suspension NEVER sat straight at the rear, I measured and remeasured and adjusted and readjusted the spring plates but it never sat true. Until yesterday, when I realised someone has replaced one of the rear arches and welded it in and inch higher/lower than original. This made me smile, it just adds to the character of this old shed.

8)

Grazy said:
Like it mate 8)

What exhaust is that ??

It's one of gsf's finest. Seems to tick over and rev better than before. Not sure I'm gonna get it out of the barn though...

I got most of me jobs ticked off yesterday, main one was adjusting the valves which were incredibly tight before I reset them. Also cleaned the contacts inside the dissy as they had corroded, and tightened the dissy clamp as it was loose! It runs so much stronger now and sounds sweet with the stainless exhaust.

Heres a picture to prove it moved from here...

10271563_10152377063173827_7018581658329064199_n.jpg

To here...

10342950_10152377203603827_412193618938562123_n.jpg

I'm also the only VW accepted by this lot...

1491723_10152322933768827_2866965084637993676_n.jpg

The rest are proper dirty trucks and rods.

aspro said:
Still looking cool as fook Ollie. Get it out and about. Enjoy. :D

I did today Chris. It rained! Nice to see you at Stanford Hall old fruit. 8)

Well, I guess it's about time I posted on this thread….. I am the new owner!

Firstly, full credit to Luke & Ollie for their work on it over the years. Yes, there is work to do on it - there is on any bus - but essentially, the single cab is about as solid as you'll find on UK roads.

So, after doing a long drive down to Norwich, it now resides in South Yorkshire - must have been a culture shock for it - coming up the A1…..

IMG_20140927_182720.jpg

My plans are pretty simple - keep on top of repairs and sort out the little bits which although are not too complex, take up time and cash to do.

Firstly was a set of new rear tyres. The rears are 175/65/R15 88H XL. When I picked it up, they were more like slicks, so a set of Goodyear NCT5s were quickly sorted, going from an 84T to an 88H XL to help on ratings. Not many tyres available at this size/rating, so I'm happy that I've managed to get a good brand. The fronts (165/60/R14 79H XL) are not too bad - but these are currently rated at 75H, and with the weight and stiffness of the suspension, I am keen to swap these too to 79H XL. Research shows again, little choice, but a Continental Eco-Contact 3 is available, so that will be the choice after xmas. The price difference between budget and branded is not that much at this size, so a no-brainer in my eyes. Interestingly, there are many winter tyres available in these sizes though.

IMG_20141011_135217.jpg

Other exterior bits, include a rear drop-gate repair, and a patch around the fuel flap. These add to the 'rat-look', but have possible gone beyond the look now, and need sorting. Although the drop-gate will depend on whether it can be repaired, or needs a new section cutting in from a donor. See what my local guy thinks on it.

It'll need a good waxing prior to the winter. I have Auto Glym Wax, but seen others use the Collinite stuff - any good? Also, has anyone used the T2D patina wax, any good?

I have removed the front mounted spare wheel - I can see why Ollie put it on, far more convenient and to be fair, it did grow on me. But then I just thought sod it, it's coming off…. Will need a little work on paintwork in the area as in scotch-brite it down a bit, and then a new badge to go on. I have a white one, but looking at spraying it satin black instead.

IMG_20141011_143208.jpg

Interior wise, it's a complete mix of personal tastes and mind-blowingly annoying bits! Nothing major, just little bits which don't make life as easy. I don't think Ollie will mind me saying that - as he admitted it was something he put up with.

So, on the list are new door pulls, new window winders, new ignition switch, new spring for driver's door lock, GPS for speedo (speedo is in KPH and is around 30% out!), new RHD headlights and fix the amp/sub.

There's no seat belts in it, but it has mounting points apart from on the tubs. So i'm getting the mounts welded in on the tubs in a few weeks. I wanted Tan coloured belts, but they were NLA. So ended up with burgundy ones, as they had 20% off at VW Heritage. Why Burgundy? I thought they'd look pretty cool with the contrast and kinda retro.

IMG_20141011_135427.jpg

IMG_20141011_135452.jpg

Road Angel GPS
IMG_20141011_135231.jpg

Finally, the rear shocks will need changing, as the NSR is weeping badly. These look like the BugPack ones, and are made in Mexico. Whether they are the T2D Slam Shocks version I'm not sure. Anyone know?

IMG_20141011_114551.jpg

Main issue at the moment is the carb (see my other thread here: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62504&start=0)

It's a brilliant truck, and a testament to the previous owners. I simply want to keep it that way. If I had the money, I might put it on Air or Hydraulics, just for the looks and ease of ride-height. But that's a bloody expensive option for now - so may be in a few years….

Cheers guys.

Steve.

Well done on your purchase and keep us updated as you do further mods. :D

Latest posts