Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok some info for those interested............

Its a '64 Chevy 164 (2.7L) 110bhp 160ft/lbs Flat6 that has been reversed to rotate in the correct direction, mated to my 6rib 'box with an adaptor using a KEP Stage1 clutch plate with a woven metal friction disc. Its fixed in place using a custom made engine mount utalising the OG engine rubbers. I have modified a rear vanace to keep everything stock looking from the outside. With some custome made tin & a type4 engine seal. Its running for now refurbed Rochester carbs but I will be making some adaptors to run some weber ICTs in the near future.

Initial rolling road figures are 89bhp with 140ft/lbs of torque (hence the clutch) so 10% down on manufacturers figures, but that was before LongLife exhausts made a fantastic set of pipes with a balance tube. Im not wasting time tuning the Rochesters any further instead ill make the webers fit then set everything up on the rollers again and see what we get from there.

Not bad really seeing I hadnt even taken an engine out before I started this :oops:

LongLife exhausts made this twin exit system with balancer pipe and twin silencers which has a coupling that we can use to block off each side of the engine for tuning purposes, dont have a rear shot :oops:

Fair play fitting that engine Just looking good 8)
Bet it tows the pedo lovely now?
when you drove past when you had just fitted the engine in Marianne came out and said what the hell have you got in the back of there :lol:

Thanks for the comments, it's not to everyone taste but that's why I like it, and if it pisses a few people off then I got to be happy with that :lol: it's not quite a Porsche but still, it was a challenge and actually very straight forward with a bit of thought and some advise from a few friends 8) The rear valance aside there was no cutting or drilling involved. If it proves to be reliable this season I will be treating it to a rebuild next winter. It's just a shame there are so few in the UK as it makes a great value for money conversion

creationblue said:
Thanks for the comments, it's not to everyone taste but that's why I like it, and if it pisses a few people off then I got to be happy with that :lol: it's not quite a Porsche but still, it was a challenge and actually very straight forward with a bit of thought and some advise from a few friends 8) The rear valance aside there was no cutting or drilling involved. If it proves to be reliable this season I will be treating it to a rebuild next winter. It's just a shame there are so few in the UK as it makes a great value for money conversion

Wow! Great conversion, really like this, is this the one that was for sale here a while back? (I was tempted at the time) What's happening with the old engine, spare? :msn4:

Seems like a great upgrade from a performance tuned stock VW lump, but stock Corvair reliability. What's the BHP? 150+?

I'm thinking about a new lump for my bus - liking this direction a lot.

More pictures and details, and i bet it really shifts too!

Alistair

Glad you finally came out the closet with it!
Fingers crossed with the reliability and can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Cheers
Al

aogrady said:
Wow! Great conversion, really like this, is this the one that was for sale here a while back? (I was tempted at the time) What's happening with the old engine, spare? :msn4:

Seems like a great upgrade from a performance tuned stock VW lump, but stock Corvair reliability. What's the BHP? 150+?

I'm thinking about a new lump for my bus - liking this direction a lot.

More pictures and details, and i bet it really shifts too!

Alistair

Hi, yes it was advertised on here and I was tempted enough to go for it. What with the Square project, I promised my wife I wouldn't be touching the bus this winter :msn4:

The 1776 will be making a return albeit in T3 form and going in the Square at some point, I was thinking of selling it but to build another at today's rated would set me back £6.5k so that won't be happening :lol:

The 'vair is 110bhp in this form but it's the 160ft/lb or torque at low revs that makes it a suitable doner for very little outlay, if you can find one.

Latest posts