Danbury

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Danbury Motor Caravans

1964- Danbury start converting campers based just outside of Chelmsford in Essex and called it 'The Multicar'

1969- The Bay window meant a redesign which wasn't ready until 1969 and was called 'The Danbury'.

Conversions were based on microbuses or kombi's. Optional extras included a bunk over the front seats and a pop top which became available from 1971, usually easy to spot by the thin red and white horizontal stripes.
There were 4 two tone colour options available on the microbuses and 3 single colours on the kombi's.
The 2 buddy seats slide on rails so you can have forward facing seats for traveling and inside one you will find a high pressure gas cooker/grill. There is also a top box at the rear and a hanging rail/wardrobe opposite the spare wheel. Another option was to have the spare mounted on the front. Also inside is a drawer and sink unit which is movable and plenty of storage under the rear bench.
The bed is made using the table and extra pieces of wood between the buddy seats and rear bench meaning another space for children to sleep over the engine. The rear luggage area was also insulated and carpeted to reduce internal noise.

1977- The Danbury Deluxe was released.

2002- Beetles UK started converting Brazilian Bays into Campers but are not the original Danbury Company, having just bought the name.

Danbury was VW approved in the late 60's but in 1972 Devon got an exclusive contract and it wasn't until 1977 that VW would approve other conversions including Danbury again.
The Original Danbury company closed down at some point in the late 80's.

A danbury pop top has red and white horizontal stripes as pictured against other campers
100_1027.jpg

Have a look at Rich's website,

http://home.btconnect.com/oakley-web/danbury.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or i put pics on here
http://vwdanburycamper.wetpaint.com/page/Seating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps, if not i could get more pictures at some point.

hi am the proud owner of an early 72 danbury am looking for a complete interior
any info would be a great help

Hi i have a 70 klein and im gonna put a danbury poptop on it but i dont have any measurement for the hole in the roofsection....can anybody help me....

/Freddy

Latest posts