battery draw and stereos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
hey guys

trying to fit a decent stereo and was wondering what type of draw a headunit has on a leisure battery ?
i was also thinking of one of these http://www.alpine.uk.com/p/Products/add-on-amplifier3597/ktp-445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as they piggyback from the headunit.

likelyhood is the wifey will leave the radio on all day when camping and never had a leisure batt before and have
a propex / some led lighting to have to run from it too :shock: :roll: :?

any advice peeps
cheers
a stereo fitting potts :D

no electrical guru as many will be aware but can say that we run an alpine withan amp and small sub,
normally charge the leisure batt from the garage prior to going away for weekend , have found that we can survive till sunday , but we do bang it out normally, and when the leisure battery eventually dies we hook the jump leads from the main to the leisure batt, so in fairness if you just running lowish volumes should last al weekend thats if bus is static.

have never killed the main battey as of yet, however i would say that our leisure battery is a cheepo one that will be changed soonish when i get round to it as have found the bosch battery ie the main seems to hold more charge etc......

we dont have a propex though amigo but they cut out when the battery is low due to undervolt , or at least they should.

there you go experience over knowledge, im sure a clever person will be along in a bit to talk about amps and ohms and alll that wiggly stuff.

cheeers jth

I run a Retrosounds Model One stereo with 4 RCA outputs to two Alpine PDX amps in my Bug. One Alpine PDX 1.1000 mono amp (confirmed at 1240W output) and another Alpine PDX 4.150 for the mids and highs. My subs are two Alpine Type R 12s rated at 1800W peak each. Two 6x9 type R components in the rear and two 5 1/2 inch components and two type-X 180W tweeters. I have a 2.5 farad power cap which rarely kicks in as the leisure battery can handle the amps no problem. I can go to full volume on the subs and speakers with a peak of around 5000W with no issues. I had to upgrade the wiring to zero gauge as the amps were cutting out.

The 95amp alternator can easily manage the main battery and leisure battery with this amount of drain.

[youtube]U_J423ZOo-o[/youtube]

Latest posts