High Tops ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebor

Reaction score
How many different Hightops are there ? What's the one with the flat bit at the back for a rack called ? Is there any particular type of interior it should have ?

i think the style your talking about is an adventurewagen, a guy called baz on here has one with the interior in it still i think, i'd link to his readers ride thread but i dont know how too! haha but have a quick search and you'll find it, might be worth asking him a few questions about it, :)

There's a nice adventurewagon on the cover of the latest Volksworld

Adventurewagen fitted more than one style of roof, the one that is on Baz's bus and on the one we currently have which doesn't have the flat section and the flat rear section one that was designed to take a roof box on the rails.

There's obviously the factory high tops which are defined by roof hoops that go into the full roof area and full height bulkheads whereas the aftermarket ones just cut a hole in the roof and screwed the rood on with self tappers, mastic and a trim strip.

trebor said:
Roof hoops :? :?: not sure what you mean

The interior roof supports that are normally hidden under the headlining carry on into the roof itself on a factory high top version, aftermarket market roofs will still have part of the original tin top roof with the roof hoops only going as far as that ie the original gutter line.

Not early, but i had this ages ago, cool sliding door!

These seem to the 3 main types of adventure wagon roof. The one with the rear window (super fugly) I believe has a slide out roof bed.

erysejym.jpg

2yby5yde.jpg

7e8ajuru.jpg

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the adventurewagen for my own bus so if you find anything else let me know

Baz

http://www.vct2.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The dutch highroof topic ;)

trebor said:
Cheers Baz, is that green one origional ?

Original as in from the factory then no, the only factory one on this thread is the one that Clem has posted, the rest are aftermarket add ons, personally I prefer the aftermarket ones.

Do you get problems with rusting around all those self tappers holding the tops down ?
Also some have self tappers all the way round and some don't ! Do these have a flange inside that bolts on ?

There can be an issue with rusting around the lower roof line I think it depends how well it was sealed when fitted and how dry the bus was kept. There is the chance of condensation running down the inside of the high top and sitting on the roof but I don't know how likely that would be

baz1875 said:
There can be an issue with rusting around the lower roof line I think it depends how well it was sealed when fitted and how dry the bus was kept. There is the chance of condensation running down the inside of the high top and sitting on the roof but I don't know how likely that would be
Has yours got belly pans fitted ?

No Baz's hasn't, belly pans tended to be fitted at the factory and Adventurewagen high roofs were fitted in America, often when the vehicle was a few years old

Latest posts