Name my interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade the interior (plans have changed :? ) but can anyone help identify my current interior so i know what to advertise it as?
Looking at adding a R&R and a kitchen / storage cupboard.
I think its based loosely on a devon but not sure, i know its not original as my bay started out as a panelvan so presume it was done as part of the conversion.
Picture004.jpg

Rear bench seat
Picture005.jpg

Overhead cupboard (table fold up and fits under this)
Picture006.jpg

Buddy seat and cupboard
Picture007.jpg

3/4 width bed (not R&R, made by fitting table and other peices between buddy seat/cupboard and rear bench)
Picture008.jpg

Parcel shelf storage
Picture009.jpg

Another picture of the bed (not allowed to work on Rusty without my helper :lol: )
Picture010.jpg

Standard layout

Hi..Im pretty sure that buddy seat behind the driver is a Devon type.

The aluminium bracket on the side panel that the table fits too looks like my Devon one too.

It looks like generally a Devon layout but not too sure about the rest of it.

Hope this helps.

Stirlingmoz

Ivan

I'll get me coat... :lol:

Seriously though... looks like a Devon... Does the cupboard next to the buddy seat swing outwards? Not sure what the cupboard next to the bench seat is though :?:

The cupboard doesn't swing out it just a cupboard / small wardrobe(?)
The cupbaord next to the rear bench was fitted with a tap (which i think i still have) and i think the fresh water bottle went in here.
My 1st thoughts were Devon but think its a mixture of styles that was made up to fit in during the conversion (which unfortunately i cant find any history on)

I don't think its a Devon. Not seen them use that type of handle on their units. Could it be a Dormie or even a Pitt ??

Jon

I'd call it "Don"......don't know why but as i look at it the voices say "Don" :wink:

........think Devon used small children in Green not Pink so can't be Devon :mrgreen:

kempy said:
Canterbury Pitt 8)
Canterbury Pitt

Canterbury Pitt was one of the popular conversions of split-screen vans during the nineteen-sixties. Owned by Peter Pitt, started as the Pitt-Moto caravan Company, then merged with Canterbury sidecars in 1961, production moving to South Ockenden in Essex. Conversions continued based on the newly-introduced bay window van in 1967, but when Peter Pitt died in February1969, the franchise to produce his designs ceased and Canterbury Pitt Motor Caravans discontinued VW-based conversions.

Today the bay window conversions are rarely seen, usually appearing on 'F'-registered vans.

Conversions

Canterbury Pitt -Bay - 1967 - 1968
Taken from the history section

...a bay Pitt.... http://www.mystuffonline.co.uk/2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...still think it is called Dom :wink:

I'd say possibly a Pitt, but I think more likely it is a 'one off' interior made by or commissioned for one of its previous owners, based on a Devon 'theme'.
Whilst I know panel vans were occasionally used as base vehicles for conversions, I think it is probable that your van may have been earning its keep as a commercial for a time, before being privately converted. :)

Doug

froggy said:
Posted the same question on 2 other forums and have been told on both of them thats its an early Danbury :?

All the literature i have and books i have seen do not have Danbury interiors like that but it would be easy to think because of the similar way the bed is made.

So whats it worth then?
Will i be better splitting it, and selling things seperately as were still not entirely convinced on what make of interior it is?

I had a look through VW Camper - The Inside Story...

The table leg looks like Canterbury Pitt, and it has a lot of similarities with Devon interiors but doesn't match any pics exactly. A lot of the Devon buddy seats seem to have arm rests.
Early Devon caravettes had ID numbers stamped in the wood to aid assembly.
The buddy seat and wardrobe could be one Devon unit that has been separated.

Or...it could be a one off interior copying elements from other conversions :lol:

froggy said:
So whats it worth then?
Will i be better splitting it, and selling things seperately as were still not entirely convinced on what make of interior it is?

I'd say sell it complete. Everyone seems to agree that it is Devon based, though not necessarily of Devon origin, so I'd advertise it as such, but with a few extra 'key words' to grab people's attention, such as similar to Danbury/Canterbury Pitt. I think your interior has that period look which should appeal, and as it is most likely a 'one off' it has a bit of individuality.
With regard to a price, I don't really know for sure, but maybe somewhere in the region of £100-£200? Others may have experience of buying or selling similar, and can advise better. I see that on ebay there is a Danbury interior in a similar sort of condition to your one, and at the moment bidding is up to £75, with a couple of days to run. :)

Its not one of the few Bay Canterbury Pitt interiors, its not a Danbury and its not a Devon.
But the single seat looks remarkably like the Devon version and the hinges look like those on early Devons!
I suspect its not a "name" conversion. I agree with comment about advertising it as period furniture based on Devon styling....

Thanks, i'm beginning to beleive that its just a home brewed adaption based loosley on various styles.
Will try and get another interior before advertising this one as dont want to be left with an empty van!

Latest posts