Gearbox and engine installation.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. This might sound stupid to alot of you but just wondering if there is a step by step guide start to finish with pics maybe of putting back in my new completely refurbished gearbox and my engine back in my early 68 bus. I have an ok idea but it's been months because of my gearbox refurb and I just want to make sure I don't want to forget anything or make mistakes as I'm doing the job completely on my own . Any help would be rad. Cheers.

Not stupid at all!

The Haynes manual doesn't have many pictures, but I found it invaluable in my first attempts 😊

If you've had the clutch off at any point, a clutch-alignment tool is invaluable to check things.

Do this on smooth ground if possible. Trolley Jack's over lumpy, bumpy ground is hateful when your balancing a lump on it! If that's not possible consider a big ol' sheet of ply or something.

I'd install the gearbox first rather than trying to do them both as a massive, unwieldy pair. Plus CV joints are a mega messy job. Keep the gearbox supported throughout. Whilst it technically can hang on the front mount and CVs, it's not good for it. A jack under the engine end of the gearbox is a good idea to allow a little height adjustment when pairing the engine.

In terms of the engine, block of wood between the sump plate and a trolley jack. Take your time. Use the moustache bar to balance and wiggle things and push the trolley jack with your feet. Don't force it, either. If things are not going in, chuck some blocks under the moustache bar so you can step away from the engine and take a look at the alignment from different angles.

Hey all. We!l I managed to get the gearbox installed. Followed my book and everything seems good. Everything is connected good etc. Engine next. Just hope everything is going to be ok. 😟.

Well done sorting the gearbox!
Don't worry, the engine is genuiley just a few bolts. As I said before: take your time!
You're going to do grand

Cheers gvee. It was a little bit of a pain on the coupling but I did it. I got feeling I'm going to struggle a tad with the engine but I have no one else to help so I'll persevere. Just hope all goes well. 😕.

Hey all. Well the engine is back in. I did manage to get some help putting the engine back in and all seems good. Gearbox and engine went together well and it's all bolted in place. I just need to adjust clutch cable etc now. Only downfall was the round copper head on one of the terminals on the starter motor snapped off due to her age but I got another one coming in a day or 2. Fingers crossed so far. Just hope I can get her driving great again.

Good efforts! Shame about the casualty, but better to find the weak link now rather than mid-road trip!

Cheers gvee. It will take a bit of checking over a few times because I do have ocd and I will have to check every terminal and nut and bolt etc before I even think of starting her up ha.. it's ok about the casualty it happens. Im going through everything with a tooth comb to make sure she's fit for the roads. I have replaced the fuel lines with the best money can buy and apparently the hose I have used they use in Mercedes etc. I do have to change the back wheel bearings both sides before she goes anywhere because they are both on their way out and I have been advised on last mot to change them but I got them ready to go in but I got help with that so it's ok. That should be it then. I'm just so glad they are kind of easy to work on. One the reasons I have a deep passion for VWs really ha.

Hey all. Well it's been a while but everything is back together now and after many ocd checks I finally started my bus up and took her for a drive and no word of a lie she drives like new. You have no idea how happy I am seeing my baby back on the road and driving great. Smiling like a Cheshire cat and doing a joy dance ha. John Walklett has done an incredible job on my gearbox and it's money well spent. Anyone looking to get their gearbox rebuilt, go to John seriously. Transformed my bus 😁.

Hey fallingoffalot. It really is 😊. For my bus he did me a standard gearbox because that's all i wanted really.Yeah get it done dude. Thats weird because reverse is the only one in mine before I sent it to John that didn't jump out of gear ha. It is a bit costly but well worth it. She drives like new now and I hope she does for a very long time fingers crossed.

How long did John have your gear box for? Did you just give him the box or did it still have the clutch attached? I'm hoping to do this job myself, and hope it fits in the back of a mini clubman!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Just give him the box, the clutch stays attached to the engine.
John Walklett 07790 807825, give him a ring and chat through what you actually want.
He's in Newcastle Under Lyme, but if you drain the gearbox oil and wrap it you can courier it to him.

He had it for a fair number of weeks but he had half the staff due to the pandemic so it took longer. This was last year though. It was just the gearbox but he will ask you drain the oil out. I live nowhere near him so we used a pallet courier service. I packed it.into a box big enough and then arranged for pickup and off it went to him. 😊.

Latest posts