Selling it short?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards

Reaction score
Hi All,

After some opinions on the following condrumdum. We are in the process of moving house, which will involve moving our Bay which has been laid up for the last 5 years. The big end went in it, so I sourced a replacement engine and have had that firing (but not running well).

A neighbour has shown interest in it, so was considering selling it for £6500. With both engines and large box of spares. I have no idea what the current market is like for Bays. I would be selling at a lost, as it has all new cushions, etc. As the bus is not running, is this a fair price or am I selling it short? I appreciate something is only worth what the buyer is prepared to pay.

Thanks, Richard.

There are late bays on flee bay admittedly runners with bids at £9000 so I do think you are under selling. That said what is your body work like, could you fit the engine and get it running?

We sold ours 20 months ago, immaculate cali import etc... the no of timewasters, tyre kickers and general idiots was unbelievable. Looking at the pictures, it seems to need a fair bit of welding, rear arches being particularly bad (obviously been done before)
You need to ask yourself if you have the time and willpower to try and sell as is for possibly more(or less)money or take the easy option and sell it now...
If I was in the same situation I'd take the easy option and accept the offer.. at least its going to someone you know and it will save you all the aggravation

thejinx said:
There are late bays on flee bay admittedly runners with bids at £9000 so I do think you are under selling. That said what is your body work like, could you fit the engine and get it running?

The engine is in, but only to test it ie. No clutch, tinware exhaust, etc. I didn't want to install everything if the replacement engine was a dud. Bodywork is OK, but does need attention, some previous repairs are starting to show. After 4.5 years under a cover I thought it would be better!

To get it tidy and running would mean moving the van to the new house (albeit not that far) and then work on it over the summer. For 2.5k, it might be worth me cutting my losses. I'll check out the ones on ebay, see if I can see any in a similar condition. Cheers.

72baywesty said:
We sold ours 20 months ago, immaculate cali import etc... the no of timewasters, tyre kickers and general idiots was unbelievable. Looking at the pictures, it seems to need a fair bit of welding, rear arches being particularly bad (obviously been done before)
You need to ask yourself if you have the time and willpower to try and sell as is for possibly more(or less)money or take the easy option and sell it now...
If I was in the same situation I'd take the easy option and accept the offer.. at least its going to someone you know and it will save you all the aggravation

I had the same thoughts, while it's easy to get sentimental. My logical side says to sell it before we move, just didn't want to rip myself off by asking too little for it. I'm sure if I asked 1k for it, someone would collect it the same day!

Prices on eBay are often used as a yard stick in private sales for less common vehicles. As someone who used to work for a well known vehicle valuation firm, I can tell you that eBay prices are over inflated.

The key thing to remember is that advertised price isn't the same as sale price.

I think 6.5K is a good price for what's on offer.

Plus if you have a buyer queued up already, that's worth a lot, too!

Gotta agree with George on this ^^^ as I think you’ll have enough on your plate just moving house and all the general goings on that involves. With the best will in the world, your a grand or so short in the mechanical side if not a lot more, then a couple of grand for welding etc then there’s the respray and as sure as eggs are eggs there’ll be a few unseen issues. Very few people can make money by refurbing old motors and at fifty years old there’s a lot that’s capable of going wrong. I think you’re doing well to get that sort of money for a non runner needing some work. Plus it sounds as though it’s become a bit of a chain around you . When you talk about it In Years to come,, it’ll be the whole story for a year or so then in ten years time, the story will be that only needed the tyres pumping up :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,get that deal done :mrgreen:

There is potential to make more on it, but will involve your time and more outlay or paying someone to sort it, so bumping the sale price up to, say, £10k may not be financially viable. I'll assume your motivation regarding the van in general has pretty much gone?

On that basis, yeah, take the money and run, well, move.

Whack it on eBay with an SP of £6.5k. I’d imagine it will sell.

Latest posts