Engine Lift

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
I need to take out the bus engine to investigate the low oil pressure issue. My drive is on a slope so a trolley jack is difficult to use.
So I bought a cheap motorbike stand and some heavy duty castors. Flipped the raise/lower mechanism so its on the bottom and doesn't get caught by the moustache bar. Just need to make some sort of a handle to push/pull the unit now.

I’ve been using 1 of those for years (without the alterations ) makes life so much easier and safer. Especially if you’re working on your own.

subheatadey - Over time I noticed that when the engine gets up to operating temp, the oil warning light came on at idle, this progressed being full on below 1.5k revs. I then fitted an electronic oil temp gauge but because it reads in Bar I can't tell what pressure it is at idle. I then got myself a mechanical gauge and fitted it directly into the oil temp sender hole. Gauge reads 5 PSI at idle when warmed up.
The engine is a 1776 and does not burn oil or have any other issues apart from an oil leak which I think is coming from the flywheel oil seal. Engine is only 5 years old and I don't do a lot of mileage, but it is a recon unit from Steve Strong so I don't know the provenance of the internals.
So whilst we are in lock down and can't go anywhere I thought it best to break it down, split the case and examine the internals.

Hi Andy, that sounds fair enough the leak aint gonna get any better and it will only get worse and as you say it gives you something to do over lockdown. I was getting bored and its too cold in the garage so I bought a Ossa over Christmas and stuck it in my front room to give me something to do, its lovely having heating :)

If you need any help let us know.

I see that you’ve got stuck Ade, not wishing to tell you how to suck eggs or anything but here goes. Put the tank back on first, then start Im up, then lean back a bit and give him a little squirt, but as you do it lean forward fairly quickly and you’ll be nicely over that tricky tree stump :shock: :msn4: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,no need to thank me bud :mrgreen:

gagvanman said:
I need to take out the bus engine to investigate the low oil pressure issue. My drive is on a slope so a trolley jack is difficult to use.
So I bought a cheap motorbike stand and some heavy duty castors. Flipped the raise/lower mechanism so its on the bottom and doesn't get caught by the moustache bar. Just need to make some sort of a handle to push/pull the unit now.

That is great and I'd have done something like that myself, except I'm building a garage this year, complete with a two-post hydraulic lift. I think in that case one doesn't drop the engine out, but rather lift the bus up away from the engine... can't wait to try that out.
subheatadey said:
Hi Andy, that sounds fair enough the leak aint gonna get any better and it will only get worse and as you say it gives you something to do over lockdown. I was getting bored and its too cold in the garage so I bought a Ossa over Christmas and stuck it in my front room to give me something to do, its lovely having heating :)

If you need any help let us know.
Motorbike in the house? Great! But one question - are you still MARRIED? :D

That seems like a no brainer after I've been struggling with jacks, bits of wood and mates helping! Engine is going to be in/out at least another 3 or 4 times in the short term while my resto is still on, who knows long term. Did you happen to buy the ~£50 version off good old fleabay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500KG-Mo...285450?hash=item1cfe6794ca:g:fo0AAOSwEW9gACC7

Edit:
Just ordered identical looking table and 4 castors for under 50 quid total off onbuy.com - never heard of them before but the trustpilot reviews are good so giving them a shot.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/motorbike-...yFGOknVE3gg7DL4tFD0aAjfnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bay_Buster - Got it from Amazon £42.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q55RB6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Think I might have to purchase one of these myself, but maybe make a frame for it to sit in with casters such that it can be easily used with or without the wheels. I’m sure there’s other good uses - clutch changes on the daily’s or engine support for jobs requiring the mounts to be removed. Got to be better than balancing lengths of timber on trolley jacks 😂

Did my lift, thanks for the tip [emoji106]

Remember to allow for the runners to clear the wheel bolts when bolting them through ... I counter-sank mine.

This will double up as a seat when working in the engine bay too ... should take my weight [emoji1787]

c273fc2895ec10071af5554777050fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
Did my lift, thanks for the tip [emoji106]

Remember to allow for the runners to clear the wheel bolts when bolting them through ... I counter-sank mine.

This will double up as a seat when working in the engine bay too ... should take my weight [emoji1787]

How much clearance is there for the bolt heads? Did you use counter-sunk bolts rather than hex heads to ensure no fouling?

I had exactly the same idea about doubling up as a seat 😂

Yes I used countersunk bolts as there’s probably less than 2mm clearance for the rollers inside the frame.

Latest posts