Chassis Plate & M-Plate Locations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay_Buster

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been having a read through the info-packed "VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1967-1979" and it tells me that the Chassis plate on my bus should live behind the drivers seat, and the M-Plate should live behind the passenger seat (UK RHD model). I'm pretty certain the M-plate was in the stated position (it's currently removed for safe-keeping whilst the resto is in full swing). The Chassis plate however is riveted to the removable rear valance...

This valance is not going to be reused, it's pretty knackered and was hacked up by someone to fit a T3 'suitcase' engine in the van previously. Soooo, where should my Chassis plate be affixed too? Behind the drivers seat (RHD) as the info-book says? Has anyone else got a van with the Chassis plate fixed on the rear valance or some other strange location? Any help as always is much appreciated :D

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the chassis plate on the removable valance. But because it was riveted on, I didn't question it at first - why would anyone bother moving such a thing and putting the extra effort in to rivet it in a new place? Doesn't seem to add up to me. Also my van is a December '68 build, so I think actually built to '69 spec, meaning it isn't in the special one-year-only parts club?

Does that plate match the chassis number in the actual engine bay , or with other records?

My guess might be that some one at some time has been told the chassis number is in the engine bay, so that’s where they put it. The only question, is why?
I can’t see the plate details so I can’t see the model year. Can you post it up?
Do you know the history of the van?

Cheers sparkywig!
Clem - all the numbers match up, that is the Chassis Plate/stamped-in chassis number/M-Plate. Here's a bigger pic for you:

As for history, I've had it for about 15 years now, but I'm the 10th owner. Seems each of my predecessors had a go at various bodges along the way. UK model, started out as a panel van and had a camper conversion. That's pretty much all the info I have. I still can't understand why you would want to move this plate but that does seem to be what has happened.

I'd like to get the plate put back in it's proper position. Not least because the valance it's currently attached to will be going in the bin. Does anyone fancy taking a couple of measurements and/or pics of their plates to help me get it back in the right spot? There's no immediate rush, I have plenty of other tasks vying for attention! It's just nice to get some things back as they should be.

There's no seats in at the moment Ozziedog! I know there was nothing obvious like paint shadow before that area got blasted and primed. The van has definitely had some interesting painting done in the past so the clues could have been covered up. I would have expected previous fixing holes too though but can't remember seeing any. I'll have to check again when I get back down to the unit at the end of next week.

Clem said:
Does that plate match the chassis number in the actual engine bay , or with other records?

My guess might be that some one at some time has been told the chassis number is in the engine bay, so that’s where they put it. The only question, is why?
I can’t see the plate details so I can’t see the model year. Can you post it up?
Do you know the history of the van?

I did think this at first, maybe it's not the original chassis plate?
I'll take some measurements from both of mine and post them here during the week.

Presuming VW never re-issued replacement plates, this one is definitely the original as it matches up with all other info. It's just gone walkies to the back of the bus, very bizarre.

Cheers sparkywig, much obliged :D

Yeah it’s a 69 model year bus. You should be able to find the pop rivet holes where it was originally fitted unless that metal has been replaced. If it was originally a panel van was it full bulkhead or walk though? If it’s been modified to become a walkthrough or to take non genuine seats maybe the bulkheads were altered?

As long as it matches the fixed chassis number then just reattach it and crack on :)

So it took me a while longer than I expected to get back to the unit, however I got to have a poke about earlier today and managed to find a couple of holes that seemingly match the pop-rivet holes in the plate. Does this position look correct to you folks?

Clem - it was a walkthrough from the factory (or so I believe).

I'd forgotten all about this, sorry.
Yes, the chassis plate looks about right.

The M plate's location is on the left hand seat bulkhead, the top rivet is 160mm in from the door frame and 340mm up from the seat tub.

Brilliant, another mystery solved! Thanks very much sparkywig and everybody else :D