Early Engine Bars (Moustache Bars)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay_Buster

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been trawling the net for an early moustache bar. Seems to be quite a few of the late ones knocking about, but I've only found two of the early pressed-metal style ones on ebay for (imho) silly money. This type:

What I have managed to stumble across are some guys making considerably stronger looking new versions to suit the early bay mounts on facebook:

Here is their facebook page: facebook.com/cobraenginebars

Has anybody got one of these new bars? Seen one in the flesh? Thoughts?

I was considering seeing if I could find someone willing to let me take dimensions from an original and fab up my own, but now I've found these it doesn't seem worth the hassle when there are more important things to address.

Much of muchness really, That don't look any stronger to me than an original (in the right condition) but does look up to the job. This fabrication looks like it may assist if you're slamming the bus?
How interested in keeping 'original' are you?
Could this be a temporary option? say, until a mint og one comes up.

I think you are correct to pursue with caution, check the dimensions carefully since this is an unknown. whereas with an original you can pretty much assume it'll fit.

Liam

So I believe the guy that has had this new bar made is a guy called Lee Cooksey, a complete and utter clown who made a name for himself claiming to have parts for sale, taking money for them and then these parts repeatedly getting lost in the post. He’s been kicked off pretty much all of the VW forums. He’s also the joker that was cocking around in his van at Ninove and crashed into a bug from memory, this almost put an end to the event and the organiser had to work hard to get it back on track.
I’ve seen his posts about this engine bar on Facebook loads of times, but always the same few photos and only 1 photo of one on a bus. He claims he’s had loads made, but still there’s only ever a photo of 1? Most people know about him which is why there’s never any interest.
I’d avoid this guy like the plague, if you have a search on the forum you’ll get the full picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said above ^^^ there seems to be a very anti feeling to this person. I’ve personally never had any dealings with him but he has created a bit of a poor name for himself. That said, if you can get to him, pay cash and take it there and then after checking dimensions, quality etc, then that might be a way to proceed (with caution) . Hopefully these are fantastic and hopefully he’ll be ok with cash on the nail. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I’d shy away from post and credit cards even paypal :mrgreen:

I got a reconditioned one from C&C about three years ago. Not sure if they are still supplying them though. If not try one of the spare parts suppliers that advertise on here and TLB. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DO NOT give your money to that man. He’s a liar and a thief. He got banned from his forum for taking people’s money and never sending the parts, myself included. He’s also the arsehole who At The Freddie’s Files show in Belgium crashed his bus pissed with no insurance resulting in 2 written off beetles and a badly injured pedestrian.

Find a good original or make 1 yourself.

K@rlos said:
DO NOT give your money to that man. He’s a liar and a thief. He got banned from his forum for taking people’s money and never sending the parts, myself included. He’s also the arsehole who At The Freddie’s Files show in Belgium crashed his bus pissed with no insurance resulting in 2 written off beetles and a badly injured pedestrian.

Find a good original or make 1 yourself.

It was 5 pedestrians, one ended up with life changing injuries, and just missed a young child in a pushchair. He wouldn't take responsibility for his actions.

No insurance, bus not registered in UK and did this a couple of weeks later.

Wow, really glad I posted up asking about this one!
Thanks for all the replies guys, I shall heed the advice and give this geezer a wide berth.

I'm not going to ask if anyone has an original bar for sale, from the searches I've already done it seems I might as well just smack my head into a wall. But if anyone happens to be local to Nottingham or Sheffield/Chesterfield and wouldn't mind me taking some dimensions off one sometime that would be fantastic. I could always adapt the ends of a later bar, but I'd rather fab a fresh one rather than bodge an existing original part (like the T3 mount that was bodged to hold the T3 engine in previously).

Sparkywig I stand corrected and not in a positive way...

But yeah, blokes a c*nt...

It's worth getting on some of the Facebook groups and asking if anyone has one. I had the same problem and saw the same ones on ebay that you've mentioned. Ended up getting one through Facebook for £95 so there are definitely some knocking about. Incidentally, the person mentioned above has been trying to flog me one of his new ones. I believe FBI VW also have them in stock, think they quoted me about £160 which is a bit more reasonable than the ebay ones.

Thanks Fisher, I've been avoiding facebook pretty much since lockdown started and not missed it at all, but it is useful for some things. I'll get some more browsing done soon!

Not sure if you managed to find one in the end but there is one that's just been put up on the Early Bay (Parts for sale and wanted) group on Facebook for £80 that looks OK.