Cant decide about interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aardvark

Reaction score
Hello friends.
The interior metal panels in the living part of the van are looking a bit scruffy. I've been thinking about how best to tidy it up. As I see it, there are 3 options. I could paint it, but it would be an absolute nightmare to mask everything off. 2nd would be to cover it with a foam backed vinyl. On a flat surface this would work well. But I'm not sure it would stretch enough to get it neat round the window apertures etc. Lastly would be lining carpet which should stretch into all the places and tuck under the window rubbers, but I'm not sure what it would look like.
I've searched the internet but can't really get a clear photo as they mostly concentrate on the furniture.
Can anyone offer advice?
Thanks.
Andy the Aardvark

I would paint it myself... but if you prefer to cover it I would suggest 1/8" foam back headliner... it comes in cloth and would contour to all The curves... whatever you use make sure you use an upholstery grade contact adhesive...
NO aerosol adhesive... it will eventually fail..
Good luck 😁

Bbigelow said:
whatever you use make sure you use an upholstery grade contact adhesive...
NO aerosol adhesive... it will eventually fail..
Good luck 😁

I can second that, the spray on adhesive I used on my door panels is already coming unstuck. I will have to re-glue some of it. Any recommendations for the glue?

JUST MY OPINION ... but I'd avoid lining carpet, I've seen it used a fair bit over the years and it never looks great or ages well, I think its just too detached from anything 'factory'.

Basic kombi's were painted inside and microbuses were lined with headliner perforated vinyl. Either will be a mammoth task. Painting will require interior removal and masking, vinyl will require window removal and refit to ensure a neat job.

Or, you could wet and dry it back a bit, polish it up and enjoy the 'patina'?

Thanks for the replies. It's kind of what I thought anyway. Painting is obviously the way to go. Just not looking forward to masking it. It would almost be easier to strip the interior and windows out. Looks like a job for when the weather warms a bit.
Andy.

Clem said:
JUST MY OPINION ... but I'd avoid lining carpet, I've seen it used a fair bit over the years and it never looks great or ages well, I think its just too detached from anything 'factory'.

Basic kombi's were painted inside and microbuses were lined with headliner perforated vinyl. Either will be a mammoth task. Painting will require interior removal and masking, vinyl will require window removal and refit to ensure a neat job.

Or, you could wet and dry it back a bit, polish it up and enjoy the 'patina'?

Agree 100%, lining carpet belongs in gimmicky t5’s

Latest posts