Crossover or not...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba bug

Reaction score
Howdy, I've got a 72 bay and I've been puzzled since I bought it. I know its had a front end collision at some point as the cab floor was distorted a bit (I've replaced the floor now). I would therefore suspect that the front panel must have been damaged and maybe replaced. The question is, would it have had an early front panel (which I suspect it would) or a late front panel, which it has?

The M plate says it was built on July 14th 1972 in Emden and was destined for California via San Francisco.

The rest of the bus is crossover, brakes, bumpers wheel arches etc...

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, I'll correct that. If it was a '72 model year it would be more likely to have a later front.
It probably came out of the factory with an early front end, but suffered accident damage and the front panel was changed for a later one.
One way to check is if the indicator cabling looks too long for the higher units.

I’d imagine the late front end was the collision repair, early fronts have only been available very recently. It’s not that long ago that no one gave a toss about early or late models! :lol:

What shape are your bumpers? Rounded...early. Squarer with recess....late. I hope that’s right. I imagine a huge bunch of boxed stuff in the factories with the VeeDub builders/mechanics going....”This’ll do! Let’s confuse them all so in 50 years time they’ll all be scratching their heads and making it up amongst themselves 😉”. The bumpers? Unless they were affected in the collision also. Good old Crossover country hey!

Yes. My Crossover, when I bought her in 2009, had the lipped later arch with the step on the outside of the cab doors and rounded bumpers. Then? I bought a whole floor, flat front arches and seating tubs 1969 cab from eBay (bargain at £50...but then had to get it from the East England extreme side of the country to the extreme West Welsh side of the country). It had early flat arches and the step inside, as you open the door. The whole inside floor and arches got replaced. Had to...mine were completely rotten. I chose to do this because ebay had provided decent solid original German quality metal. Me and my renovator, Paul, discussed it in depth. Original stock for the Crossover year? Or a solid mish mash bus you could rely on? Chose the latter. My bus, my comfort and peace of mind, and so....my choice. Also. It adds to an even stranger Crossover story linked to my bus. Let them scratch their heads I say. So.....Bit like yours really.

Latest posts