New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
I have a '71 RHD BayWindow Bus here in Bangalore, India. Not mine really, but belongs to a friend for whom I'm "fostering" it. :)

1940869.jpg

The van was "restored" once before but very poorly. The engine was brought to me in boxes. So, over the past year I slowly assembled it together, fixed all the issues, got a rebuilt VW distributor from a Samba rebuilder and got the engine started. Then it turned out the "restored" brakes were frozen. The front left caliper had no brake fluid it even. So, sorted that out. Now sorting out electrical issues -- rebuilding the hacked up harness with correct color wires from other harnesses I've scrounged.

Van is a bit of hybrid -- it is titled as a 77 with the 77 chassis number welded to the spot where the number should be. The 77 manf plate is also riveted on. The m-code plate though correctly identifies the bus and it still has the options it came with. There are some 77 parts on the bus -- like the column switchgear and ignition (with wiper on the column), (doors possibly), and gearbox (because it has the new style starter with the longer shaft).

bnam said:
Hi!
I have a '71 RHD BayWindow Bus here in Bangalore, India. Not mine really, but belongs to a friend for whom I'm "fostering" it. :)

1940869.jpg

The van was "restored" once before but very poorly. The engine was brought to me in boxes. So, over the past year I slowly assembled it together, fixed all the issues, got a rebuilt VW distributor from a Samba rebuilder and got the engine started. Then it turned out the "restored" brakes were frozen. The front left caliper had no brake fluid it even. So, sorted that out. Now sorting out electrical issues -- rebuilding the hacked up harness with correct color wires from other harnesses I've scrounged.

Van is a bit of hybrid -- it is titled as a 77 with the 77 chassis number welded to the spot where the number should be. The 77 manf plate is also riveted on. The m-code plate though correctly identifies the bus and it still has the options it came with. There are some 77 parts on the bus -- like the column switchgear and ignition (with wiper on the column), (doors possibly), and gearbox (because it has the new style starter with the longer shaft).

Great to hear from Bangalore and I`m glad you`re a proud foster parent and showing off this fab looking bus. Some of these different year parts seem to fit remarkably well

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hello and Welcome !!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! Hoping to get more RHD specific help here as theSamba is typically dominated by US models. Btw, I am a US expat who's been here in India for 5+ years now. My other cars (my own) include a 71 1302LS vert (RHD), a '65 KG LHD, and a 66 Fiat 1500 Cabrio LHD (with 1600 twincam). The vert is excellent original condition (was bought by my dad in '74 from a German expat in India). The other 2 are recent. The KG is work in progress that is now mechanically restored, but the body needs a complete do over.

I'm also the moderator for India largest Classic VW group on Whatsapp. These traditional forums are not favored here and everyone's on whatsapp these days. But, I like these forums as information stays around longer. And easier to have lengthier discussions.

Hi there

What a nice forum, have been looking a bit around or some time and I think it is one off the best forum I ever found. Great communication and a good tone :D

Do I have a early, no not yet, still searching around for the tin top I want, there have been some that have been beautiful ( restored bolt and nut) with documentation but they where gone quickly so I hope that I sometime in the future can join with a great bus. Please feel free to pm me if you know a good solid rustfree tintop.

Baydk said:
Hi there

What a nice forum, have been looking a bit around or some time and I think it is one off the best forum I ever found. Great communication and a good tone :D

Do I have a early, no not yet, still searching around for the tin top I want, there have been some that have been beautiful ( restored bolt and nut) with documentation but they where gone quickly so I hope that I sometime in the future can join with a great bus. Please feel free to pm me if you know a good solid rustfree tintop.

Hi there and great to have you come along. What a fab way to join a forum, before you’ve got your bus , absolutely wonderful. Now that you’re on here, you may want to post a wanted advert in the busses for sale section and this is just so much like fishing as in waiting for the right one to turn up. If you plonk up a wanted ad, I’m sure you’ll get responses that aren’t just the various busses already advertised as peeps are continually browsing. Put in what area you live and how far you’re willing to travel to see the right ones, maybe a price guide too, maybe stock or custom etc etc. You can also do the same on the LateBay forum even if you’re secretly looking for just an Early :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, and welcome welcome and welcome :mrgreen:

Baydk said:
Hi there

Welcome, I have fairly recently got a 1968 tin top myself, I also owned a late-bay many years ago, it was whilst I owned my late-bay Devon conversion that I realized the early bay was much cooler and I certainly didn't want any of that popping up roof business! Obviously you forfeit the in-van cooking/washing-up experiences, but all the campsites I've stayed at have decent facilities for that.

One thing I didn't really check on purchase, that I wish I had, is the wiring/fusebox. Mines a right mess and is currently being sorted in a garage. In fact there are lots of things I didn't check, but was lucky with or fixed quite quickly. - Also I think "rust free" is going to be quite hard to find, depends on budget I suppose, I think "almost rust free" is more achievable!

Good luck with your search and obviously post any questions up you think of.

fallingoffalot said:
Baydk said:
Hi there

Welcome, I have fairly recently got a 1968 tin top myself, I also owned a late-bay many years ago, it was whilst I owned my late-bay Devon conversion that I realized the early bay was much cooler and I certainly didn't want any of that popping up roof business! Obviously you forfeit the in-van cooking/washing-up experiences, but all the campsites I've stayed at have decent facilities for that.

One thing I didn't really check on purchase, that I wish I had, is the wiring/fusebox. Mines a right mess and is currently being sorted in a garage. In fact there are lots of things I didn't check, but was lucky with or fixed quite quickly. - Also I think "rust free" is going to be quite hard to find, depends on budget I suppose, I think "almost rust free" is more achievable!

Good luck with your search and obviously post any questions up you think of.

Thanks for your reply :D , I own a vw beetle from 1956 and have just renewed all the wiring loom and fuses this winter and I gave much more light on to the 6v system, so what and upgrade. I buy all the wire in Germany in the correct colour and a size bigger than the originals and then made the puzzle . I hope that I find a great bus before I would get very expensive to import a bus from U.K. Due to brexit.

Do you know another good for sale site?

I guess eBay is always worth keeping an eye on.

I need my bus rewiring, someone has done half a job and I like these things done properly. I'm going to use air-cooled auto electric to do a completely new loom.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hiya Baydk, I’m not sure what you’re hearing in the media where you are, but if we take the European Commission paid on everything out of the equation, then it’ll probably be cheaper after brexit. Whereabouts are you anyhow ??? The Latebay also has a for sale section as has the Samba and VZI (Volkszone) , however a lot of bay window internet traffic has gravitated towards Facebook and such like which is fairly trendy but extremely fragmented.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, good luck with your search :mrgreen:

Hi guys.
I just stumbled across this terrific forum through the Just Kampers website.
Just over a week ago, we bought a nice red and white early bay with a Dormobile pop top and interior. Really happy with it and after doing about 800 miles already, we are on holiday in the highlands.
Like I said, I'm completely new to the forum so will post photos when I work out how.
I also have a few technical issues I could ask for advice on. But wont clutter things up by asking tech on an introduction. The bug has bitten me badly and now spend all my time reading about the vans. hope eventually to gain enough knowledge to help others.
Andy

Welcome Aardvark! I've found the easyest way to get pics up is to use Tapatalk on my phone.

I've not had my van long, since May, and have spent a lot of time on it. I'm nearly in a position to say I've finished, but like all these things they never actually are!

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Another big HI!! here as well Aardvark. As has been the case for a while now on this little forum, there have been an issue or two with getting pictures on, mostly since Photobucket turned nasty on us. But there are ways and means as fallingoffalot says above ^^^ I’m guessing he rides bikes too with a name like that :mrgreen: The highlands is probably midge free at the moment so bang on for timing and a perfect opportunity. I must get up there one of these days :mrgreen: I keep saying I will :roll: There are lots of search functions available if you need an answer immediately for one reason or another but never, never ever, be worried about asking questions or looking for suggestions or ideas. Tell us a little more about your Dormy when you’re back in the real world and have your first adventure tucked firmly under your belt :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,These are all about smiles per gallon :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

Latest posts