Speedhut Gauges

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Does anyone know of anyone using these or have any comments / advice about them?

vw_bus_dual80mph_8K.jpg

I have not stopped drooling since finding it. :mrgreen: :party0021:

https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/?search=VW&x=0&y=0

I read a few days ago when Karlos showed his new gauges on Facebook, a few people were
talking about them. Maybe try that thread. Otherwise Karlos might be able to help out with the thread.

J & P
:D :D :D

Good evening, yes I have been busy sorting my assortment of gauges

I’ve invested in a Smiths electronic, self calibrating speedo. I toyed with getting an original unit recalibrated to my tyre size but I then though if I ever change wheels or tyres that will be money wasted. The smiths unit wasn’t cheap, £237 if I remember correctly but from the reviews I’ve read it’s worth every penny and it includes a trip meter also. Along side it is a matching Smiths electronic clock, which if I’m honest I brought for the sake of it :lol:

Next is the tacho & oil gauges, the monster tach isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I love them. It’s a 5” Autometer sport comp 2, which I got 6 years ago direct from Autometer as it’s not a range available over here. I’d always had Auto meter oil pressure and temp but they were odd old items I had laying around so when I did he resto I decided to upgrade and have the matching pair to compliment the tacho. As I say I appreciate it’s not everyone’s taste but i like it

K@rlos said:

I’ve invested in a Smiths electronic, self calibrating speedo. I toyed with getting an original unit recalibrated to my tyre size but I then though if I ever change wheels or tyres that will be money wasted. The smiths unit wasn’t cheap, £237 if I remember correctly but from the reviews I’ve read it’s worth every penny and it includes a trip meter also. Along side it is a matching Smiths electronic clock, which if I’m honest I brought for the sake of it :lol:

Nice!!

I did look at the Smiths website, but I didn't find that one!

How does it self-calibrate? Is it GPS? :?:

K@rlos said:

Next is the tacho & oil gauges, the monster tach isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I love them. It’s a 5” Autometer sport comp 2, which I got 6 years ago direct from Autometer as it’s not a range available over here. I’d always had Auto meter oil pressure and temp but they were odd old items I had laying around so when I did he resto I decided to upgrade and have the matching pair to compliment the tacho. As I say I appreciate it’s not everyone’s taste but i like it

I love the monster tachs, I have a Sunpro version with a white face and shift light waiting to be installed. I always thought it is a shame that everyone does 1000000rpm ones and no one has a 5k version, which would be more suited to flat-4 engines. :lol:

I have a welded dash, so it's a bit of a blank canvas to play with and source gauges to suit.

I did like the Autometer Cruiser range, but they are quite expensive and I prefer the more 'German' looking Typeface and dashes on the Speedhut.

Also, Autometer seem to always miss out 30mph, they seem to like the '20 / 40 / 60 / 80' arrangement, which is annoying as we have many 30 zones and it just seems faster to check the speed when the speed is written on the gauge, if that makes sense. Again, the majority of them read too high, like 140mph, 160mph etc, with most of our driving around 30-60, it makes more sense to have a wider sweep / more detail for those speeds, just like your Smiths. Good choice sir. :mrgreen:

:sign0023:

I got it from VW heritage, to calibrate it you select the calibration setting and drive for a straight mile and it does it that way.

I think Autometer do an 8000 rpm gauge, I went for the 10k as my motor is rather lively and will hit 7000 rpm lol.

K@rlos said:

Have you managed to get the clock adjusting with the push button? I have the same and it doesn’t advance. Wired it up as per instructions too ... seem to remember there was a 4th wire with no reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are making me jealous😁😁

Craig, that is really nice, never seen that gauge before😍

But i am like Karl, i love the Auto Meter gauges on more performance orientated stuff. For everything else, i like the functionality, look and price of the VDO Vision range.

Abel

atafonso said:
Craig, that is really nice, never seen that gauge before😍

Abel

Me either!

I will probably get one, I'll WhatsApp you with some pictures when I do :party0047:

That speedhut is truly a thing of beauty.

Let us know how you get on if you do take the plunge

Bobster said:
That speedhut is truly a thing of beauty.

Agreed!

Bobster said:
Let us know how you get on if you do take the plunge

I did!

IMG-20190629-134531.jpg

IMG-20190629-134541.jpg

Still connecting everything up with the custom loom, it is obviously taking ages! :| So, I cannot comment on how they work, although I have got the backlights and LEDs on.

Earth calling NASA...Earth calling NASA... bloody hell that looks like you need a degree to use :lol: :lol: :lol:

But have to admit it looks very very nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patience pays off.

J & P

gas1man said:
Earth calling NASA...Earth calling NASA... bloody hell that looks like you need a degree to use :lol: :lol: :lol:

But have to admit it looks very very nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patience pays off.

J & P

:lol: Brilliant!

It does have a 'vintage air craft' feel to it. :D Thanks, I just hope all the switches work! :anim_20:

Latest posts