Attaching an awning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHutch

Reaction score
I have a porch awning that I want to attach to my bus but it doesn’t have a awning channel. I wondered about using the figure of 8 connection rail but I’m concerned that it won’t hold the awning connector in a strong wind and, if it does, it’ll scratch up my rain channel paint.

What’s recommended? Was considering battery charger clips with some padding underneath to stop the scratching.

Figure of 8 clips are designed for J rails rather than gutters. So what you’ll find is that they won’t sit horizontally, and then in string winds will just break. The most robust and probably least likely to damage solution is using pole and clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree re figure of 8 clips, useless in strong winds
I put a self adhesive awning C rail on mine, as seen on some splits, but will depend on your roof configuration as to whether this will work

As said above, if it’s a drive away you should be able to slide a pole into the bit that attaches to your bus. Place this in the gutter and then fasten using the clamps available from the likes of JK

Today's top tip... get yourself a 3mtr figure of 8 ( mine was from Lightening leisure) no more drips as you get with the 3 section ones... do a Google search for something like 'J' section that is used in awning curtains, it's a length of plastic you hook curtains on to... buy a length and cut 3 small bits around 60 mm long, clip these to the gutter and the figure of 8 on top, bingo!

I was wondering the same and thought I would go down the magnet route, you can get a 25mm long rod magnet that has a 3.6kg pull. So the plan is to put a few of them in the material of the awning entrance and tuck it into the gutter, they may blow off in high winds, but I've used slightly weaker magnets to keep the curtain closed inside the van, and even through the material of the curtains and the blackout lining they still need a good tug to pull off.
It's all theory as my wan is in for welding at the moment.
https://www.first4magnets.com/cylindrical-rod-c39/8mm-dia-x-25mm-long-n42-neodymium-magnet-3-1kg-pull-p8169#ps_1-8406

Latest posts