Changing vacuum points distributor for Accuspark centrifugal electronic?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davla

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my standard points vacuum distributor for an Accuspark 009 centrifugal electronic type. It all looks pretty straight forward but was wondering what to do with the vacuum port, do I just cap it off?

thejinx said:
Yes. Cap the port on the carb. Not trying to influence but I used to have a 009 changed it for an SVDA I think it runs better.

Thanks, yes I’ve been told the vacuum is more responsive so I might stick with the SVDA and just convert to electronic

thejinx said:
Yes. Cap the port on the carb. Not trying to influence but I used to have a 009 changed it for an SVDA I think it runs better.
+1.

I only use 009/centrifugal dist on high performance engines, when they have a big cam and low vaccum. On anything else the SVDA works better in my experience.
Also i am not a fan of the electronic ignition modules, specially the Chinese as they go without any warning and earlier than one might think🙄.
If i can’t buy a nice distributor like a CB/Mallory/MSD, then i stick with points and keep an extra set in the glovebox. I never get stuck that way😉

Abel

I would recommend keeping the vac distributor and just replacing the points with an accuspark. I think they're about £40 now, which isn't too bad.

Personally, I've found points to be a real pain over the last couple of years that I used them. The blocks wear away quickly, and setting them up really requires a dwell meter (feeler gauge isn't accurate enough really). Plus adjustment is a faff, you can't adjust the dwell with the engine running and the lock screw disturbs it so the process is engine off, cap off, loosen screw, adjust, tighten screw, cap on, restart, measure dwell, then repeat 4-5 times.

I would/do keep a spare ignition module in the van though just in case. I'd keep points but had one lying around.

replacing an SVDA with a centrifugal only distributor is a backwards move.

unless your a traditionalist points have had it. not made well and constantly need resetting. 3 times in France last year i had a non start issue and every time i had to reset the points as they were the issue. i do hear tell of a 123 dizzy being the mutts but have no experience of them.

I have fitted accuspark or powerspark electronic modules to all of my aircooled vehicles and have never had an issue.
I would just keep your original dizzy if it works ok.

My accuspark lacked the full range on advance/high revs so now resides under the bed as a spare. My 123 vacume advance distributor has been great though.

Latest posts