weber carb on a 1600 twinport

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antopolguy

Reaction score
hi ive got a 1975 bay with a 1600 twin port engine im looking to fit a twin choke weber but the pre heat tubes are corroded are they needed or can they be capped off as the bus will only be used in summer

If you can fit dual twin choke carbs it will be a massive improvement, but fitting a single IDF is not a great idea. There are many things needed in order to make it work reasonably ok, but even of you get that it will still use more fuel than duals and not perform as well.
You need a manifold with smaller than 1 1/2” pipes, also the only heated manifold that works is CB which hs the heating going all around until the base of the carb. Isolated runners is a must to with the 1600 engine size so forget the Empi plenum manifolds. The throttle plates need a hole of 2.5mm too. Fuel pressure must be 2- 2.5psi max. After getting all of this right, you will still not going to be happy with the way it drives... my suggestion; get a set of dual carbs, there will be no regrets👍😄

Abel

atafonso said:
If you can fit dual twin choke carbs it will be a massive improvement, but fitting a single IDF is not a great idea. There are many things needed in order to make it work reasonably ok, but even of you get that it will still use more fuel than duals and not perform as well.
You need a manifold with smaller than 1 1/2” pipes, also the only heated manifold that works is CB which hs the heating going all around until the base of the carb. Isolated runners is a must to with the 1600 engine size so forget the Empi plenum manifolds. The throttle plates need a hole of 2.5mm too. Fuel pressure must be 2- 2.5psi max. After getting all of this right, you will still not going to be happy with the way it drives... my suggestion; get a set of dual carbs, there will be no regrets👍😄

Abel

Agree 100%, twin 36’s all the way

As above, twin carbs are the way forward.

The problem with the standard Solex carb is the long inlet manifold. Even twin Solex 34 pict 3s would be an improvement on any single carb setup :)

K@rlos said:
atafonso said:

Abel

Agree 100%, twin 36’s all the way
Twin 36’s are my choice too🤓

Abel

thanks for the replies guys ill look into it a bit further the weber I have is a 32/36 progressive with the electric choke on it its on a vw manifold but as I said the pre heat tubes are corroded but it seems theyre needed

Latest posts