Fiberglass top colour?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppy68

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

In the depths of a restoration on my 68' Westy. I have the bumpers and rims painted in the original "Cloud White". Now on to restoring the fiberglass top. I don't have the funds to re-gel coat, etc..... so I have decided to paint it. Does anyone know the colour of the original Westy fiberglass top? I am pretty sure it is not cloud white.....but don't know what white to paint it? I don't want it to look crazy different than the bumpers and rims.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

They were never painted from the factory so there isn't a paint code as such.

Best option would be the take, say, the rear roof section to a place that matches paint and they would be able to colour match it for you and mix some paint.

We painted ours with Toplac which is a fibreglass boat paint. We used a small radiator roller, did a small area at a time, then smoothed that area with a sponge brush. Gave it two coats inside & out. That was 3 years ago & it washes up lovely!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. So originally I had the painters clean up a spot of the gel coat of the pop top and then scan for a colour. This would have been the original fibreglass colour. They then painted the top that colour. It turned out way to bright! So after a lot of looking and asking around, I decided to go with VW L581 - Cloud White. It matches the bumpers and rims and was the original top colour on standard and deluxe models in 1968.
When completed I will post some pics!

Knowing that others have tackled this and not wanting to reinvent the wheel. What length gas struts have you ran for a fiberglass hood? pic would be great of your set up. Thanks

Latest posts