Uk to italian lakes in earlybay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we took our 69 Westy on a Euro trip last week. 3 weeks, Started in London, drove to the tunnel and across into Calais, then drove down to Paris to spend an afternoon, then on down to Lyon, Marseille, Cannes and Nice. From Nice followed the Coastal road up to Genoa, then again coastal to Pisa, inland to Florence. From Florence we cut back across to the west coast via Grosetto and then onto Rome. From Rome we crossed the rest of the waist of Italy to the East coast and followed the coast up through various small towns with lovely beaches into San Marino.
From there up to Venice, then back across to Milan and up through Lake Como into the Swiss Alps, to Zurich. Then cut through Germany/France via Strasbourg into Luxembourg, through Belgium and back to Calais.

Was an epic long trip and was amazing. Myself, the wife and two dogs. We only stayed in a hotel one night, when it just got so wet and miserable and we couldn't find a place to stay around Como. Nothing was planned, except the route, so we just found places along the way to book into or areas to stay.

Found an amazing campsite as a result outside Venice, was through a really industrial area and thought it was going to be a bit of a dive, but it was a place to stay. Ended up parked along the waterside for the night, with direct views of Venice across the lagoon with a direct boat from the jetty a short walk away. One of the best trips I've had.

We stayed in a few service stops and aires. Didn't have any issues, but have heard some stories.

We drove quite a number of hours per day. But, we wanted to see a lot! Also, the drives through the countrysides are breathtaking so it is an enjoyable trundle.

Seamus1982 said:
we took our 69 Westy on a Euro trip last week. 3 weeks, Started in London, drove to the tunnel and across into Calais, then drove down to Paris to spend an afternoon, then on down to Lyon, Marseille, Cannes and Nice. From Nice followed the Coastal road up to Genoa, then again coastal to Pisa, inland to Florence. From Florence we cut back across to the west coast via Grosetto and then onto Rome. From Rome we crossed the rest of the waist of Italy to the East coast and followed the coast up through various small towns with lovely beaches into San Marino.
From there up to Venice, then back across to Milan and up through Lake Como into the Swiss Alps, to Zurich. Then cut through Germany/France via Strasbourg into Luxembourg, through Belgium and back to Calais.

Was an epic long trip and was amazing. Myself, the wife and two dogs. We only stayed in a hotel one night, when it just got so wet and miserable and we couldn't find a place to stay around Como. Nothing was planned, except the route, so we just found places along the way to book into or areas to stay.

Found an amazing campsite as a result outside Venice, was through a really industrial area and thought it was going to be a bit of a dive, but it was a place to stay. Ended up parked along the waterside for the night, with direct views of Venice across the lagoon with a direct boat from the jetty a short walk away. One of the best trips I've had.

We stayed in a few service stops and aires. Didn't have any issues, but have heard some stories.

We drove quite a number of hours per day. But, we wanted to see a lot! Also, the drives through the countrysides are breathtaking so it is an enjoyable trundle.

Thats some trip! Sounds awesome :D

@Clem,

*I didn't mean last week. That should have been last April.

It was an awesome trip. Planning on another next year but thinking of taking the Auto train down towards Spain and tackling Spain and Portugal. Have a 3 week trip starting in Denver US this May, but unfortunately the van won't be with us for that one!

Mikeoggie said:
Hi everyone,

Hope you're well.

After some advice... me and my girlfriend are looking at doing a european trip in my 1970 earlybay

Just had a engine rebuild so I'm feeling it can do it, just wondering if anyone here has done the same trip? We're looking at lake como via france and switzerland.

Obviously going to be taking it easy but just wondering if anyone has done the same trip or similar? how long it took them etc we've got 2 weeks due to work and uni but I'm unsure on what campsites to book on way. People at work think I'm mad saying its too old but I'm determined to prove them wrong just hope the bus won't let me down haha so peoples reassurance who have done would be welcome! 😉

Cheers,
Mike

hello

if you need assistance or a place for camp 1 or serveral night , i'm next to switzerland and german border , in france ....

Taken mine on a few long hauls in Europe, mainly down to the French Atlantic coast (La Rochelle) and the far tip of Brittany. As well as a trip to Austria in December. Every trip she has been pretty much fault free,
Austria was in 2001 before i had her restored, I stopped overnight outside Innsbruck in -23 temperature. Of 6 British cars in the car park she was the only one that would start, slowest crank over i've ever heard a petrol engine start on, it hadn't even crossed my mind to change the oil for a lighter grade and it must have been like tar in there. :)
Longest run was 11hrs solid bar a refuel from Quimper back to Calais racing the ferry.
Look up a POI file for your satnav that has French aires / campsites on, i used to have one and we would just select the nearest when we had had enough driving for the day. We found some amazing places and never had a bad experience, just don't expect a farmer in the middle of nowhere in France to speak any english.
Living in Kent its always been quite easy as once off the Ferry it's 20 minutes to home.

pom2ter said:
Mikeoggie said:
Hi everyone,

Hope you're well.

After some advice... me and my girlfriend are looking at doing a european trip in my 1970 earlybay

Just had a engine rebuild so I'm feeling it can do it, just wondering if anyone here has done the same trip? We're looking at lake como via france and switzerland.

Obviously going to be taking it easy but just wondering if anyone has done the same trip or similar? how long it took them etc we've got 2 weeks due to work and uni but I'm unsure on what campsites to book on way. People at work think I'm mad saying its too old but I'm determined to prove them wrong just hope the bus won't let me down haha so peoples reassurance who have done would be welcome! 😉

Cheers,
Mike

hello

if you need assistance or a place for camp 1 or serveral night , i'm next to switzerland and german border , in france ....

Hi!

Ah that sounds good! And really good of you to offer!

Still making plans as of yet but I'll let you know man! Which town are you near?😁

Thanks
Mike

i'm near " BELFORT " , next to mountain , also homeland of PEUGEOT ... you're welcome

Im really interested in doing this trip as have a family wedding to attend in Lake Garda next year and really fancy taking the van and making a holiday of it any tips for campsites and routes would be greatly accepted

northernpowerhouse said:
Im really interested in doing this trip as have a family wedding to attend in Lake Garda next year and really fancy taking the van and making a holiday of it any tips for campsites and routes would be greatly accepted

Hi mate,

I'll update when I'm back good places I found etc if its any help.. if I make it that is! :lol:

northernpowerhouse said:
thankyou much appreciated and enjoy your trip

Well the bus made it first of all!

Done around 2700 miles probably bit more in 2 weeks.

My advice is definitely do it, the first day I wasn't sure about it started to think I was a bit naive. But after that I enjoyed every minute of it,

We went through france, switzerland, italy, monaco then the South of france. Everyone loved the bus, loads of waves and people stopping to talk to us it was ace.

I don't know how the van managed some of the hills people were waving and cheering us when we did get to the top and everyone was patient who was stuck behind us (wouldn't get away with that in a normal van/car)

If you send me your email address I'll send you route we did and good sites we found along the way.

The Italian lakes are gorgeous but I think my favourite place was Switzerland, we went to Beatenberg and Interlaken which were so nice

But yeah do it!! Definitely planning another trip for next year, come back loving the bus even more

Mike

Mikeoggie said:
The Italian lakes are gorgeous but I think my favourite place was Switzerland

I certainly agree with that statement...love Switzerland...summer or winter it's epic 8)

If you don't mind emailing me the info too [email protected] as Im looking to do Lake Garda from Scotland via Amsterdam , Luzern or Interlaken to Como then onto Garda- Just looking for some info on how steep roads are etc would like do Mont Blanc on the way back but I'll be fully loaded with the wife two kids and a trailer so unsure of best route to take . I've done SW France , Belgium and Germany just never over the mountains

TIA
Chris

coopster said:
If you don't mind emailing me the info too [email protected] as Im looking to do Lake Garda from Scotland via Amsterdam , Luzern or Interlaken to Como then onto Garda- Just looking for some info on how steep roads are etc would like do Mont Blanc on the way back but I'll be fully loaded with the wife two kids and a trailer so unsure of best route to take . I've done SW France , Belgium and Germany just never over the mountains

TIA
Chris

Hi Chris,
Definitely do interlaken, we stayed in Beatenberg (that's where the picture was took) which is above interlaken and there's a free bus that takes you down.

The hills leading up to here were steep, but the van did them in 2 gear (3rd occasionally when the wind was behind us) and mines just a standard 1600tp not twin carb or out.

I didn't go through mont blanc I did want to just ended up going a different way. Only briefly researched route just to make sure the bus could do it we wanted to plan at least as possible so didn't have anywhere booked etc.

The italian lakes are really nice so definitely do them as well. Only thing is I thought some of the sites were disappointing round the lakes pretty crammed in other than that was ace.

Still can't believe the bus did it with so little problems haha... I'll dig through where we went and good sites and drop you an email!
Mike

Haven't gone as far as Italy but did a couple of weeks in Belgium and Holland last year in our early bay with some friends in their late bay, stayed at camp sites (almost all pre-booked) for most of the trip apart from a house which came with our theme park (Efteling for 2 nights) and a night in a hotel I stay in for work (with a pool for the kids, a spa for the wives and a great bar and restaurant). I used the ASCI app and it was great, all the camp sites with their location, facilities and prices, made it really easy. I visit Italy a few times a year for work and love it, plan is to drive down there one day.

Latest posts