Dormobile roof position?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gas1man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
Only asking because I have never seen a Dormobile with a roof this far back.
I am curious to know if Dormobile ever did a roof so far back.
I have never seen one and as I am in the process of redoing my roof rack for the front was surprised to see this out there.
When asking the owner about it over Facebook he said that as far as he knew it was original.
Anybody know any different only to improve my own knowledge. Certainly not out to upset or disprove anyone.

Any help appreciated.

J & P
:D :D :D

IMO that's not an original Dormobile bus. The factory roof was hacked (usually with a tin opener and couple of spoons in the 3 I've owned) over the cab by Dormobile to increase the opening to suit the fibreglass roof.
It's probably an addition to a Devon or Danbury bus by a previous owner in the late 70's/early 80's.

As The Wiggly one has said ^^^ Apparently some of the dealers would request one offs or specials to concrete a sale. So much so that it was sometimes possible to have Devon and Dormobile stuff on the same bus. The only one I’ve seen that far back was indeed a home brew affair that seemed to work really well but without the front cooker.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, lots of ‘specials’ out there :mrgreen:

I have a dormobile with the roof in the “normal” position and to be honest I think that the one in the pic looks better. The roof rack just sets it off really well.

By the way the fact I have normal in inverted commas doesn’t mean I am one of those people who do the hands in the air inverted comma thing. 😉

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Much obliged.
Just for thejinx, this is home made so I now have front and back roof racks.

J & P
:D :D :D

thejinx said:
I have a dormobile with the roof in the “normal” position and to be honest I think that the one in the pic looks better. The roof rack just sets it off really well.

By the way the fact I have normal in inverted commas doesn’t mean I am one of those people who do the hands in the air inverted comma thing. 😉

Bet you do sometimes ;)

Ozziedog,,,,, just once maybeeees :mrgreen:

My Dormy is not an original. When we had it fitted we opted to have it pushed further back so it would only chop the centre hoop and leave the cab light in place.
0700ebdc349b855d2ddc04d02e38e064.jpg

Just hijacking this thread :D

Anyone know if this is a Westie 3 bow roof rack...?

2-0.jpg

....as it looks as though it fits on the rear of a standard Dormobile roof position

Latest posts