Shite lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobby81

Reaction score
Who has spot lights fitted? What have you got? Any pics please, drove down some country lanes in Wales last weekend at midnight and shit myself!

Here's mine :

In retrospect I think that the lights above the bumper would have looked better if they had been round ones but the Cibie Apollo are very good lights.

What is the condition of your normal headlights? Reflectors ok? Bulbs are a modern style? Wiring not 50 years old and earth points clean?

I’d make sure all of these are ok before going straight for the additional lights option, as although spotlights will give you extra brightness on full beam, you’re still going to have dim headlights on dipped beam if they’re not performing as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in rural Wales. Drove, and will drive again once my bus is back, daily (daytime and at night) going to/coming home from work or visiting friends living in very dark hilly areas. Small roads too. Work? 18 mile return trips. There and back with 4 small villages with street lights in that trip. The rest is moonlight/star lit or nothing. I felt comfortable with my normal lights. Full beam on the dark stretches, but no problem on seeing the whole road and immediate tree/hedges/etc to the side of the road when dipped. Head beam caught further insights to where I was heading. Bit spooky with the further views out to the sides. Can’t see the fields or views when it is really dark. Maybe Moseley has a point. It’s the standard of getting the same headlight ability as our cars if that is actually possible on our old buses. When vehicles approached me without dipping their head beams, it was a nightmare. Forget to switch those spot lights off and it may be a concern. Thanks for visiting Wales. Hope you enjoyed the experience. Well....daytime experience 😉

...it is "strange" when a modern car is behind you - and you have a pool of shadow directly in front of you caused your bus blocking their lights....

The standard headlights if in good condition are pretty damn good. Shouldn’t need driving lights if everything is as it should be

I remember reading a while ago that MK2 Golf headlights could be modified to fit and took the more modern H4 bulb.

Does anyone know more details? :poke:

Think you are all right about fixing what I've got rather than adding extra, just wanted to spend £50 rather than £200+. Might just buy some £14 Crome eyebrows and see if that helps 😀

If you go on Instagram Michael.northend - shite lights you will see how bad they are!

I fitted mark 1 golf headlamps, new wiring and h4 bulbs. Headlamps need the "3tabs" to install, and I bought a small kit off eBay for the wiring change, although could have made myself with a bit of thought. I'm really happy with result....

Bluesnailman said:
I fitted mark 1 golf headlamps, new wiring and h4 bulbs. Headlamps need the "3tabs" to install, and I bought a small kit off eBay for the wiring change, although could have made myself with a bit of thought. I'm really happy with result....

Sounds good!

Do you have any pictures of the '3 tabs' issue?

:D

I got some bulb adapters from ebay and fitted some osram silverstar bulbs, work a treat.

cunning plan said:
Bluesnailman said:

Sounds good!

If you take the chrome ring off, you can see how many tabs hold the headlamp in place, if you have 3 then you're all good. If you have 1, then you're needing to do a tiny bit of welding....

I think I've two spare and unused golf headlamps in the garage if you're interested.

Bluesnailman said:
cunning plan said:
Bluesnailman said:

Sounds good!

If you take the chrome ring off, you can see how many tabs hold the headlamp in place, if you have 3 then you're all good. If you have 1, then you're needing to do a tiny bit of welding....

I think I've two spare and unused golf headlamps in the garage if you're interested.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Thanks but I am not at the point of putting lights back on yet, thanks for the offer. :)

Has anyone tried a HID conversion kit? I out one on my motorbike and made a huge difference. Pretty easy fit and it is essentially stock, with a small transformer pack easily hidden away for each light.
Not sure on the technicalities on power draw etc from battery.

I don't have a Bay but a 73 Karmann Ghia and had simular problems with Headlamps. I decided to rewire and did away with old type fuse box and fitted modern blade type box.What a difference!! I have a pair of drive lamps fitted with relay that come on on main beam but when I dip my lamps they are good enough to drive down country roads. The only problem that I have is that being so low I have had to fit dipping interior mirror for cars are following me with very bright lights
Robert

If you go to the post lower down in this section "Earlybay Campout 2018 pictures" you will see mine n vinvans bus OHR 110G with round spots. There are a couple of others in the line up too.

Hopefully the link works as computers aren't my strong point but my spots are set into metal tubes welded into the bumper. I can't take credit a previous owner did it about ten years ago. I think they look good and give more light, they work off a separate switch, Dave.
https://flic.kr/p/RnuwNW

Latest posts