School boy error wheel came off

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today we set off for Pembray Country Park. 2 miles from the house a massive grinding noise. Pulled over in 2 secs. Jumped out engine was sounding ok put it into gear ok tried to pull off. More grinding.
My son pulled up behind me and said he had seen some bits on the road. I ran up and found. My WHEEL NUTS. Ran back to the van and the only thing holding the wheel on was the body work.
Jacked it up reattached the wheel. Drove to a tyre garage and got a new tyre fitted. All now seeems well. Got the guy to check the rest of my nuts all seems well. No damage to body work either. Very lucky.

I had a similar situation but noticed before any hassle. Bad thing was it was the way home from mot. Not even 1 mile away.
Glad you got sorted out.
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Powder coated or painted, the best thing to do is remove all paint from the taper in the bolt holes. No problems after that.

Thread on here somewhere I read concerning powder coating and wheel nut tightening and them coming loose. Worse outcome than your fright. Bad result. Great read and worth the effort of finding it. If you’re vigilant and check religiously on a VERY consistent level, apparently, you should be ok. BUT...no guarantee that all will be well. Long journeys? Look further into this. It seems a very real problem exists. Madman (above) is what sounds very sound advice according to the above mentioned thread. I read at the time and thought......leave them stock.

Back home now. Only went for the night. Grandkids first outing. So along with oil my first parade last parade, or for you RAF types pre and post flight checks will defo consist of wheel nuts. People in campsites will think I am OCD. First thing I do when we pull up is feel the dipstick, check fuel lines and shiggle things and now check wheels. Last thing I do before moving off is check oil, check fuel lines shiggle things and now wheel nuts.

I had this in Spain once. Had done over 1500 miles since taking the wheel off, probably more. In the middle of a thunderstorm, started to get a rumble through the steering. Pulled over, and found all 5 nuts were finger tight.

Certainly on the front I could feel it through the steering wheel a long time before the wheel came off! Can't say I've experienced it on a rear wheel.

i had a rear come off at 60mph, not a nice experience, the mechanic forgot to fit the split pin!

Latest posts