Roof rack for spare wheel Devon crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyDC

Reaction score
Does anyone know a roof rack that will fit on the front of my 72 Devon crossover - ahead of the pop top, that will accommodate a spare wheel ?

I have found pics of one that looks to be suitable, but can't identify the source. Frustrated because I can't post pics as the board is apparently full !.

i've seen some devon with " accordeon " roof rack on the front ... don't know if is good for a spare wheel :) but i prefer devon with wheels on the rear .

Thanks pom2ter. I've had a look but can't find an Accordeon rack online. I also can't put a wheel on the back due to bike rack, so I've bought a JK 2 bar rack and asked my son (who works for a company that does fabrication) to modify it along the lines of Johhny's rack - with extended loops to accommodate the spare. Still waiting, but when it's done and on the van I will post pics !

Hi there AndyDC,
With regards to the pictures, there are several tutorials or how to s around the forum. Nearest is, click on General chat , then below the advert (Delilah s I think ) there are some topics, firstly it's Crowd Funding, secondly it's Early Bay stickers and the third one is about how to post images as there are umpteen different ways to do it according to how you are using this forum. I understand your frustration as I had exactly the same issues once.
Now with the roof rack, be a bit careful because if you make it too good a fit, it'll be a real pain to get the wheel out if you need it. Just imagine ,, pissed off because you got a flat, pissed off moving all the junk around the van to get a jack and a spanner, then pissed off because you're stood on your Mrs trying to get the wheel out of the roof rack and it's really heavy because you is stretching like hell, and you know that if you get a flat, it'll be on a busy motorway, and!!! It'll be raining cats and frogs just for good measure. :( I've got similar issues myself right now. I've been running Kevlar in my tyres for the past four or five years and I didn't need a spare. Changed my tyres and they wouldn't put the Kevlar back in for me so I'm gonna have to do what you're doing until I sort out some more Kevlar. :evil: I got a Devon roof and a two bar roof rack cut to length to fit the little space but I don't have a rail around mine which is perfect for what I want. I'll put a spare up there, maybe with a low pro tyre for size benefits then I'll secure it with two ratchet straps making an X but have it diagonally then it wont cause any grief to the roof rack. The biggest prob with this for me is I'll have to take it on and off every time I go in or out of the garage hence why I don't got a rail on my roof rack because of height restrictions on my garage door. I guess I'll just use it when I'm off camping and stuff but not for local shopping and things. How long before I get home knackered and forget to take it off and take the front out of the garage ? :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,and we call this 'fun' ;)

Hi Ozziedog,

I'm so sorry I only just picked up your reply - almost a year late !

Well as it happens I went ahead and made my own roof mounted spare wheel carrier - adapted from a JK 2 bar rack as with yours. But I managed to add a rail by bending a length of ally pipe. Here's the result

That really is a cool idea ... I have the same roof rack, can I ask what pipe you used to do this?

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was 2 metre length of aluminium tube from Wickes. I think it was 12mm diameter. I filled it with sand and bent it around the spare wheel to get the (nearly) right shape.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12mm-Multi-Purpose-Round-Tube---Aluminium-2m/p/188254

It's a bit of a lift to get it in, but nothing like as bad as I had feared. To get it out I use an Allen key to undo the connector that joins my tube to the original jk stuff. This allows my tube to ping open a bit, allowing the wheel to be pushed up and out from below.

Latest posts