68 Bay cruising speed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisybay

Reaction score
Looking in "The Samba" They are talking of cruising at 120 K/MH (75 MPH.) I have a 68 with type 4 engine and cruise at around 90 K/MH (55 MPH). Am I babying it too much? Much above that and I am wandering! Yes, I know I could do with a new steering box.
Thanks.

What gearbox? I’ve got a 2110 type 1 motor & long ratio box and that will sit at 75-80 all day but that’s due to the gearing, when it was coupled to a close ratio 60 was cruising speed due to the revs

well round our way you'll spend most of the time with a '50mph average speed camera' peeping at you so be careful at 55! :lol: :lol:

but seriously this;

who? said:
Just cruise with whatever you are happy with and importantly what feels comfortable for your bus!
55mph is about right!

Liam :D

Listen and listen good :shock:
You’re in an old bay, your moving, just be grateful :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, 55 ish is ok, I do 50 to 55, don’t wanna miss any scenery :mrgreen:

Living in the Welsh countryside I have 60 mph limit winding roads. On the straights I go with how old I am. 50 to 55 mph is perfect for a 62 year old. Any faster and I’d be 😳. When I’m 72 I’ll drop to 40 mph and let the tail back traffic behind me build and build while I’m laughing insanely like Mutley from Wacky Races. Not really. I’m quite considerate. I’ll try 45 mph.

I have found that the older I get, the less mistakes I seem to make. I also have noticed more people are driving so much more sensibly now days. Either my driving has improved with age or I really do need to get some glasses. :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,might wash the windscreen one day too :mrgreen:

A bus is a lifestyle. When I drove it to both work and for pleasure it was the same. Trundle to work for long day shifts and trundle home. Hectic at work so needed the bus to provide the thoughtful approach, chill factor driving to the hospital. It was calm preparation there. And separation back. Wind down and drive along in procrastinating, leisurely and ponderous with an eventual wind up to relaxation over the 10 mile journey after the day’s chaos. I’m in a car at the moment. No comparison. Maybe it was the VW engine singing to me. Like one of those new age cd’s that provide brainwave patterns. On holiday, I’m one of those tourists that point at everything in front of me. So slow is whoa and stay in status quo. Miss the bus. It’ll be nice to see her back. And 50 to 55 mph is perfick.

I agree with Graysummers. As I Drive in my Bus, I am at peace, relaxed, in a different world. Slow and easy! Everybody waves. Some with their hands, some with one finger. (In England that would be two fingers.) :)

Agreed with above, I used to cruise at 55mph or so - it felt comfortable about that speed but not much more...

Now I've got a 5 speed gearbox, I'm happy sitting at 60-65mph on the speedo, which is actually slightly lower RPM. :)

The extra speed is handy when going longer distances even though you're still one of the slowest things on the motorway... that said I did 120 motorway miles the other day and overtook multiple lorries, 10 cars, and a boat :D

I guess it depends if you have the 1700/1800/2000 litre engine and what box you have fitted, but with a Type 4 engine I'd want to cruise a bit faster than 55. 65 would be more realistic I'd say. Petrol consumption not withstanding! :lol:

I've upped mine to 1641cc twin carb with a standard gearbox. 58-59mph seems to suit mine, it seems and sounds happy there and there is still a bit left to go round lorries etc. But whilst it would hold say 65mph it doesn't sit comfortably on the ear or feel sympathetic - it is now over 50years old!!

Mine’s a 1641cc SP ... speedo reads 5mph fast on current tyres. 55-60mph (GPS) seems like the perfect range, around 3,200rpm on the Rev counter. I’m hoping new bearings all round, replacement OS Stub axle, New CSP Rear Drums, Brake Refurb and 2 New drive shafts will maybe improve that a ... even just reducing the noise a little. Let’s just say it’s been an expensive couple of weeks and that Winnie’s had her 50th Birthday Presents early [emoji85][emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a few factors that affect cruising speed. Most people would suggest engine revs are a better way to determine cruising speed, and I’ve been told that 3500rpm is a good figure to top out at for prolonged periods. Now this figure is going to mean different road speeds for different vans; the gearbox fitted and the wheels / tyres will change the ratio of engine revs to speed. Also, worth bearing in mind is that speedo speed and gps speed can vary somewhat, again, commonly down to the size of wheel / tyre fitted to the front and rear wheels - some people, like ourselves, opting for a larger diameter rear tyre to the front.

Pick a comfortable engine speed that keeps your engine from getting hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tofufi said:
Agreed with above, I used to cruise at 55mph or so - it felt comfortable about that speed but not much more...

Now I've got a 5 speed gearbox, I'm happy sitting at 60-65mph on the speedo, which is actually slightly lower RPM. :)

The extra speed is handy when going longer distances even though you're still one of the slowest things on the motorway... that said I did 120 motorway miles the other day and overtook multiple lorries, 10 cars, and a boat :D

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, like who’s counting then ??? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Latest posts