mot changes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clem said:
From Tofufi’s link

“Some new items will be tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

... if brake pads or discs are missing “

Yeah, you’d hope so wouldn’t you?! :lol:

I’m so so glad about that, at last a professional will be able to tell me where my pads and discs are. I’ve fretted for years worrying where they are.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, What does DVLA stand for ? :mrgreen:

I don't want to do this topic to death BUT :roll: There was a very good programme on BBC1 Wales the other night about police accident investigators. Well worth a watch. An MG had been involved in a crash it had hit a curb and spun into oncoming traffic ending on its roof. Driver although not dead has massive life changing injuries. That was the only thing stopping him doing some serious time. His car had rotten wishbones track rods where snapped and when they looked at the brake discs they were full of rust showing there was no attempt to brake. Turns out there were no brake pads.

Now this is extreme but along with the other 2 accidents they covered there was always fault and there was always custodial sentence. So, as many have said many of us are competent to check over and fix a vehicle but you could miss something which lands you in jail as some ones B***h

thejinx said:
I don't want to do this topic to death BUT :roll: There was a very good programme on BBC1 Wales the other night about police accident investigators. Well worth a watch. An MG had been involved in a crash it had hit a curb and spun into oncoming traffic ending on its roof. Driver although not dead has massive life changing injuries. That was the only thing stopping him doing some serious time. His car had rotten wishbones track rods where snapped and when they looked at the brake discs they were full of rust showing there was no attempt to brake. Turns out there were no brake pads.

Now this is extreme but along with the other 2 accidents they covered there was always fault and there was always custodial sentence. So, as many have said many of us are competent to check over and fix a vehicle but you could miss something which lands you in jail as some ones B***h

Shocking, but not overly surprising :(

I see some stuff on Twitter posted by traffic cops - images of people stopped driving on motorways on just wheel rims, stuff like that. People can be idiots.

Moseley said:
So what do you have to do if it is currently taxed? Can you get it declared at the post office part-way through the 12 months as being a historic vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to, you can drive it, and just declare it when the tax is due.

If you are paranoid, you could sorn it, then retax a day or two later declaring it historic. DVLA said it wouldn't matter though.

I’ll be continuing to MOT mine for peace of mind. I don’t have the chance to be under the van every weekend as
It lives round the corner in a garage at
my rental property, so I’m bound to miss things.

It failed its MOT last week for steering play and required a bit of welding where a small rotten section had appeared on the chassis front leg since last year.

Replaced the drag link and swivel pin, had the welding done and she’s passed today [emoji106]

Wow what a difference doing those 2 jobs on the steering has made [emoji2]

Happy Days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine failed on the handbrake last month, and I was sure I adjusted the drums back in October so was "sure" it was all ok. Anyway, jacked it up on drive and sure enough there was plenty more adjustment to be done. Just goes to show that a second opinion is a good thing. I'll be going back and spending a few tenners next year.

I've just taxed mine and didn't get the choice of declaring it exempt, just the usual "you confirm you have a valid mot" bit. Which it does, for the next 3 weeks.

Odd.

BoggyB said:
I've just taxed mine and didn't get the choice of declaring it exempt, just the usual "you confirm you have a valid mot" bit. Which it does, for the next 3 weeks.

Odd.

Cant do it online the first time, has to be at post office

You need the new V112, option R

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/707632/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf

Need to hand it to them at same time as reminder, although, wouldn't matter if yours still had tax

That's only if you're not already down as a historic vehicle. The TLB forum guys dont seem to be having this issue.

I'll just sorn it for a week and tax it manually I guess.

Yeah, I've seen lots of people posting online that they are taxing 'projects' that aren't actually roadworthy just to test the system, and its working.

As long as its registered as historic and is insured, then MOT exemption is upon us.

Just re taxed mine on line and there's no box for mot exemption. Now i'm presuming this is because it's still mot'd? A mate at work re taxed his swallow tail golf and because he had no mot anyway there was provision to declare it mot exempt. Guess i'll wait till next time to do it then.

You can or could re tax by phone , anyone know what happens if you already have historic now ,,,,

does it give you option to say you want to be mot exempt by phone ?

I'm not sure if this point has been covered but it may be worth ascertaining the views of your insurance company when considering to exempt or not
I'm also a member of the VJMC, vintage jap m/c club, which has published in this month's mag, some replies from insurance companies active in the historic vehicle field. The majority said that exemption is fine but reiterated it is an insurance requirement for vehicles to be maintained in a roadworthy condition. However, Footman james said, "We appreciate that vehicles over 40 years old are, in the main, cherished and maintained to a high standard by their genuine classic enthusiast owners. Therefore, we expect that many will voluntarily continue to have an MOT carried out on their vehicle, regardless of the change in the legislation". Personally, i will continue as before to get annual MOTs for both the bike and the van, mainly for peace of mind, but each to their own

I did it on my beetle last week, (was already registered tax exempt)

it was sorn, so it came up as I went to tax it that the vehicle may be mot exempt and did I want to confirm it was and not substantially altered, its gone through and let me tax it but its coming up on some databases like its not mot'd so not sure whats going on with it, left it for now as its still off the road till I've finished it, not tried the bus as it was mot'd in Jan

Mike

Should have replied on this sooner, Things to look out for are corrosion now extends to any ware not in a prescribed area (within 30cm of a suspension/steering/brake/seatbelt area) oil leak has to make a 50mm pool after 10 mins, TBH cant think of any more changes that would affect us, maybe light source incompatible with lens (HID/LED) . They have taken away a lot of stuff that used to fail , as long as 1 no plate light works its a pass with a minor . The Austin Devon I am building will need MOT as its getting a Vauxhall v6 and running gear . The one thing I have had a lot of failures with since new regs is internal headlamp adjusters not working-------

Latest posts