Microbus rear seat. Different types???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm2106

Reaction score
Hi all, wanting to pick your brains on Microbus rear seats.

I'm prepping for my first microbus project and assumed rightly or wrongly that the rear seat would be a standard fit but i've been offered one with a folding back?? Were there different styles fixed or folding, is this possibly a home modified seat? Any info greatly accepted. Thanks in advance

I’ve not owned a bay microbus but I did have a split micro bus once upon a time and I believe the same format was followed. The very rear seat that went right up against the engine bay was a fixed seat and I’m sure the swab and the back were all in one piece framewise.
The other row of seats that fitted right by the slider had a back that folded down to make it easier to gain access to the very back seat, and this was just a part of the seat back for one person, but the other two positions remained rigid, a little like you get on two door cars nowadays. The fold down back was available on the left or the right end depending on where your slider was fitted. I have seen one that had a fold down seat back on both ends and I’m guessing that was from a twin slider and that would be super rare. I can’t guess that there was a need for the whole back to fold down back then.
I’ve also noticed that you can get these rearmost seats converted at the back to fold down to make a bed , a bit like a rock and roll bed style to create a flat area at the rear so that’s the other possibility . Photos would help I guess.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,lots of options I’m afraid :mrgreen:

thanks for your reply Ozziedog. The seat in question is the very rear seat up against the engine bay. It has a folding back, like you i assumed they were all fixed?

tlm2106 said:
thanks for your reply Ozziedog. The seat in question is the very rear seat up against the engine bay. It has a folding back, like you i assumed they were all fixed?

Is this possibly a conversion so you can sleep on it? There were also lots of one offs for purpose built specials, more than you can shake a stick at. Is it as original or have you seen it in the flesh?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, ‘tis interesting though innit :mrgreen:

Hi,
I’ve got a 71 sunroof deluxe microbus, 7 seater.
The rear seat is in two pieces, the bottom section with fixed leg brackets and the back section (non folding) which has a centre bracket that slides into the bracket on the engine bay floor, then secured with two brackets on the back at the top on each side.
Pretty sure that’s how it should be.
Hope this helps... 😳

/Mine is the same as above aswell. You can get Z bed hinges which change it to a fold down bed though. It may have been fitted wit those?

Latest posts