mot changes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moseley said:
So what do you have to do if it is currently taxed? Can you get it declared at the post office part-way through the 12 months as being a historic vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are saying you don't have to until your tax runs out and you need to retax.

Eg if your tax expires in September, just renew it then and use a V112 to declare it MOT exempt at that point, you can still drive it after the 20th may legally with no MOT.

The catch 22 is if your tax expires BEFORE may 20th,(and you want to continue driving it before may 20th) you'll either have to re-mot it to drive it, or sorn it, and renew your tax after the 20th may, using V112 at post office.

They aren't updating the V112 pdf on the gov website till nearer the time either.

Ironically the police etc cant check MOTs automatically using the database like they can tax/insurance (heard again directly from DVLA) therefore unless you get pulled over for something, or no insurance/tax they'll never know you have no MOT anyway. They can obviously run a check over the radio but the automated ones in traffic patrol cars have no MOT checker, just tax/insurance.

Webbaldo said:
Moseley said:
So what do you have to do if it is currently taxed? Can you get it declared at the post office part-way through the 12 months as being a historic vehicle?

They are saying you don't have to until your tax runs out and you need to retax.

Eg if your tax expires in September, just renew it then and use a V112 to declare it MOT exempt at that point, you can still drive it after the 20th may legally with no MOT.

The catch 22 is if your tax expires BEFORE may 20th,(and you want to continue driving it before may 20th) you'll either have to re-mot it to drive it, or sorn it, and renew your tax after the 20th may, using V112 at post office.

They aren't updating the V112 pdf on the gov website till nearer the time either.

Ironically the police etc cant check MOTs automatically using the database like they can tax/insurance (heard again directly from DVLA) therefore unless you get pulled over for something, or no insurance/tax they'll never know you have no MOT anyway. They can obviously run a check over the radio but the automated ones in traffic patrol cars have no MOT checker, just tax/insurance.

Thanks for that, makes sense to me! I can’t say my MOT tester is the most thorough, having sat with him for every van MOT I’ve had, so don’t think I’d be gaining anything by having the van MOT’d at that particular centre.

My current MOT runs out on May 21st, so I can make the call nearer the time as to what to do.

Just for clarification, I have emailed the DVA on 2 points & here is their reply..

Scooby lump - DVSA state that this constitutes a substantially modified vehicle (although I would argue the point that VW themselves changed to watercooled engines within the last 10 yrs of production - I would then guess that DVSA's counter argument is that VW used a VW engine not a subaru one - then the debate starts!)

My MOT is due on my fastback on 8 April - I don't use it much & every year I get a 'car's f*ing mint mate - nothing to report' from the MOT man so i intend to let the MOT lapse from 8 April, not use it between 8 April & 20 May, then declare it MOT exempt using form V112 from 20 May - DVSA confirm this si fine.

There used to be a “pre MOT” check, if this is still in existence it would be a good way to make sure you’re pride and joy needs any work or not.

gagvanman said:
There used to be a “pre MOT” check, if this is still in existence it would be a good way to make sure you’re pride and joy needs any work or not.

There is. I have this done every year so i'll continue to have it done after the van is mot exempt. He goes over everything, tells me if anything needs attention and does it before the mot.

I also have the same opinion that if the insurance company can get out of paying, they will, so it is better to prove that the vehicle was at a good roadworthy standard with an MOT as some form of backup. Plus as others have mentioned, they might spot a loose fuel line or something.

BUT, what happens if you take it for an MOT and it fails?

Are you not allowed to drive it until you have it re-MOT'd and it passes?

Or as it is MOT exempt, you can just carry on driving it anyway and use the MOT simply as a check?

:? :sign0023:

:popcorn:

I think the problem is if you have an MOT carried out and it fails, it is then classed as unroadworthy and must be repaired. However, if you have a pre MOT then it will highlight the issue but not be classed as a fail as it is not an MOT.

My TT was purchased after having been laid up for a few years so I had my regular garage do a pre MOT and it just needed a few lamps but because he had not clocked on to the system he couldn't issue a ticket when it only required a couple of lamps. It had to have a full MOT carried out after.

cunning plan said:
I also have the same opinion that if the insurance company can get out of paying, they will, so it is better to prove that the vehicle was at a good roadworthy standard with an MOT as some form of backup. Plus as others have mentioned, they might spot a loose fuel line or something.

Or as it is MOT exempt, you can just carry on driving it anyway and use the MOT simply as a check?

I guess it'd be the same situation as it is now. An MOT is only good for the time it is written. If you drive away and something like a brake light bulbs fails, the vehicle is now unroadworthy. Get pulled by the DVSA and the MOT cert becomes meaningless - it is the owners responsibility to keep it in a roadworthy state at all times.

With the MOT exemption, the same applies, if it fails, then you've got the opportunity to choose to put it right or not. The difference being, you wouldn't have to have it re-tested to remain legal if you didn't want to, you'd just need to be able to prove roadworthiness if you were pulled or had an accident.

What would be interesting to know, is for those who choose to have an MOT, assuming you wouldn't bother with a re-MOT if it fails and you rectify it - would this flag up on an ANPR despite the exemption? I wonder if all MOT's filter through to the police database regardless of exemption or otherwise...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cunning plan said:

If the vehicle has a fault then it isn’t roadworthy and so should be fixed before being used, same as now. MOT test doesn’t impact this.

Clem said:
cunning plan said:

If the vehicle has a fault then it isn’t roadworthy and so should be fixed before being used, same as now. MOT test doesn’t impact this.

Agree, yes, but the question is, when you fix the fault, do you then have to take it for another MOT so it can pass and be updated on the system as a pass, or just use it with the MOT exempt status? :?

Does the MOT exemption take precedence over an MOT?

cunning plan said:
Clem said:
cunning plan said:

Agree, yes, but the question is, when you fix the fault, do you then have to take it for another MOT so it can pass and be updated on the system as a pass, or just use it with the MOT exempt status? :?

Does the MOT exemption take precedence over an MOT?

Sorry, I see. No, the vehicle is MOT exempt and any participation in the 'scheme' is voluntarily undertaken.

Sorry to disagree Clem but this months 'Practical Classics' says that if it fails a MOT then it has to be retested and cannot be used on the roads until it has done so.

So where is the definitive ruling?

chad said:
Sorry to disagree Clem but this months 'Practical Classics' says that if it fails a MOT then it has to be retested and cannot be used on the roads until it has done so.

Be interesting to see what happens when someone takes their classic vehicle in for a mot when the new type test is approved and they arent able to pass the vehicle due to lack of airbags/seatbelts or some other mandatory item that cannot be deleted from the system because the vehicle being tested is exempt and they are now mandatory requirements for all vehicles that require a valid mot.
Ive heard the mandatory safety requirements will be rigidly applied and most garages wont have a work around to pass vehicles without these items.

Only time will tell and Im some way off a MOT as it stands at the min anyway!

Yeah - seatbelts might be an issue but I think that airbags won't be - I remember my 89 GTi didn't have them.

A list of the mandatory requirements would be useful but I'm not holding my breath on this as it seems like a fixed date was set and they're now playing catch-up.

chad said:

I dont think there is one yet, but this thread - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=1315077 quotes the FBHVC, who say -

Any voluntary test should be conducted as previously practiced and the normal pass or failure notification will be issued together with ‘advisories’ if appropriate. It therefore follows that an electronic record will be held on the VOSA database, which the enforcement teams of VOSA and the Police may interrogate. It is plainly not acceptable for owners to ignore a failure and continue to use a vehicle without correcting a known fault and use an excuse of: “Well, I need not have had it tested anyway”. Good practice is to resubmit for a retest after the rectification of a failure fault.

Key wording there is 'good practice'. Thats not law, however, if you caused a crash that was the fault of a dodgy tyre that had failed an MOT and you didn't fix then 'good practice' would find you guilty of negligence. The Police 'could' run a check on your plate and see a test fail and pull you, check the fault and prosecute you for that fault, but, as I see it, you don't legally have to re take the MOT to drive again.

I see what you mean.

Looks like a bonanza for the legal profession.

chad said:
I see what you mean.

Looks like a bonanza for the legal profession.

Yes, I agree! :lol:

There is some room for interpretation, but I guess there is now as well regarding many aspects of old vehicle ownership and use. There's going to be folk that push their luck and inevitably some will get caught, but that's life innit?

I'm reminded of when people used to prepare to collect imported buses from the docks and book an MOT at a garage near where they lived so they could drive it home as they were 'going to a prebooked MOT' :lol:

StuF said:
Be interesting to see what happens when someone takes their classic vehicle in for a mot when the new type test is approved and they arent able to pass the vehicle due to lack of airbags/seatbelts or some other mandatory item that cannot be deleted from the system because the vehicle being tested is exempt and they are now mandatory requirements for all vehicles that require a valid mot.
Ive heard the mandatory safety requirements will be rigidly applied and most garages wont have a work around to pass vehicles without these items.

Only time will tell and Im some way off a MOT as it stands at the min anyway!

Seriously?

The new MOT requirements, as with existing ones, clearly state the years of vehicles they apply to - so DPF requirements (for example) only apply to vehicles fitted with them. Same with the requirements for DRLs, which only apply to vehicles registered after 1 Mar 2018. Any tester failing an earlier car on not having DRLs clearly hasn't understood the requirements properly.

Requirements being added can be found from the horse's mouth here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

From Tofufi’s link

“Some new items will be tested during the MOT.

They include checking:

... if brake pads or discs are missing “

Yeah, you’d hope so wouldn’t you?! :lol:

Latest posts