Steering Box rebuild 71 bay (lhd)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember someone one here
Had one done and was impressed
I don't think you can get the Wormey bit anymore
But I think they replace the peg
Whatever would be an improvement
I think they do late Bay SB conversions also .

Ive personally been to Grahams workshop and seen the work they do on the steering boxes - its a comprehensive time consuming service and I wouldn't hesitate having it done by him if mine ever needs rebuilding. Fantastic service IMO

If you can get the parts rebuilding a steering is a easy. Strip and clean it all out, the bearings are on the shelf at any bearing supplier and the internals are easier to find now.

When I did mine years ago I had a machinist mate make me the new internals, pricey but transformed the van.

getting Graham to do mine in the spring hopefully. My steering is dreadful. He has done some work for me in the past and got a good setup. He will take yours off in part exchange for a refurbished box. Will let you know when I get mine done

Removed and stripped it myself, bought a new peg , but did not need to replace it.
215881d991c67942e6b3c0cfd3bdad00.jpg
8744f34899d4ce5eac722fa0bc2935b1.jpg
760594e084d4af4a09118f8258cc7961.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm - i`m looking into options at the mo. Shaun - where did you get your new peg from?

Any one got a list of the bearing and seals you need? I have supplier near me who can probably get them.

I also see the usual suspects are stocking a brand new box designed for late bays. Anyone know anything about these quality whys and if its possible to modify them to fit an early (68) bay?

Cheers, MIke

mike.s said:
Hmm - i`m looking into options at the mo. Shaun - where did you get your new peg from?

Any one got a list of the bearing and seals you need? I have supplier near me who can probably get them.

I also see the usual suspects are stocking a brand new box designed for late bays. Anyone know anything about these quality whys and if its possible to modify them to fit an early (68) bay?

Cheers, MIke

Yes and no. You can’t modify the late box, but you can modify your van to take a late box. And it makes it all very very groovy. A lot of peeps sell the conversion kit which involves chopping a bit out of your chassis but not too horrific :shock: :x :shock: Graham over at Early Bay has been known to do this conversion. Whereabouts are you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, well you don’t wanna go miles with wonky steering :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Mine just leaks oil. Where can I get a seal kit from?
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Don’t know if anyone does a seal kit, sounds like a good idea though. If there’s one available then I’m sure Graham at Midland Earlies would know, if it’s the gasket, that’s easil made from a cornflakes box. Give it a clean and see where it’s leaking. I’m sure they used to use hypoid 90 but nowadays liquid grease for steering boxes seems to be in favour. If it’s just a tad thicker, it may stop it leaking. I was told it’s just a bit runnier than toothpaste . My give it a bash in mine too. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,another thing on the list :mrgreen:

Hmm - thanks - how much better is the late box to the early box ? They are both peg and worm at the end of the day?
I'm quite prepared to do the work myself to fit it,. But it will be a bit cheaper for me to refurb my original boxb that's all m
Are they any guides around online? I see the was in here in a build thread but photobucket stole all the pics :-(

Mike, i got the peg from alan schofields, also the paper gasket , refilled with classic car steering box oil, really thick stuff

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2850482-Steering-peg-211415223B.html

Followed these instructions i found on the web, has the oil seal sizes, but pretty sure i got mine from C&C or just kampers
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=11096

Got the new peg still, as i said not required, so if you want it ill let it go, but im away at the moment and wont be back for a few weeks.

Latest posts