First Early bay drive home

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 2yrs if restoration I finally had the dvla info all sorted, got the plates made up and picked the mrs up from work as a surprise.

But the first drive was up the farm track with no roof or brakes!!

Ozziedog, I see you love these stories of ‘What have we done?’ I drove ours in the same manner as most of the above stories. Windscreen wipers flapping about because they hadn’t been tightened on the front nuts enough. No heat exchangers so frozen to the core, and the stink of petrol because I’d filled her up in preparation to get from Worcester to West Wales coz someone told me it would do about 15 miles to a gallon (I didn’t really believe them, but after a few fill ups it realised about 18 mpg and added oil cost too). A petrol smell makes you think you’re gonna blow up! Filling her up led to the petrol smell coming from a 40 plus year old porous pipe, so my Dad reckoned (the one from the filler cap and down). Over the years that followed I drove it everyday and peed myself at each MOT when they told me what was wrong. In between MOT’s stuff went wrong. But, I’m about to get it back after one and a half years renovation and before that, 2 years off the road. Three and a half years of yearning ain’t good for the brain. My de-stresser needful in metal bread box with engine and cupboards and all round quirky form. This time, I will get to grips looking after her really well and now have found the guy (now good friend) who can guide me. So......I’m going to experience another 1st ride home again. 9 miles up the road, but this time warm and toasty, still a smile on my face like the first time and no flappy windscreen wipers. Cheers Ozzie for rebooting this thread.

Hi all, Great post Owlebay. It made me think of the first time I got behind the wheel of my bus. We picked her up from Cornwall and proceeded to drive all the way back to south London. We packed sleeping bags and food in case we had to do an overnight stop, luckily we did not need them.Sitting at the wheel and turning the key my thoughts were "what the F.... have I done! I had never owned or driven VW bus before, this was my wife's idea.
Possible divorce on the cards. The steering wheel felt like opening the vault at Gringotts, the clutch pedal was hard, the steering vague.The journey was punctuated with scary lorry passes, angry speed freak boy/ men racers flashing at us to speed up.
Still we made it home.....just
Now several years , holidays, weekends away, a wedding job for my nephew later. I can't tell you the pleasure I get from being behind the wheel. It was the best buy we ever made.
Welcome to the light side.

Good to see the post still causing interest amongst fellow earlybay owners.

Roll on the better weather i,m looking forward to getting out in the bus, hopefully the so called beast from the east weather that is approching the UK will be the last cold spell before spring appears.

Cheers

owlebay said:
Good to see the post still causing interest amongst fellow earlybay owners.

Roll on the better weather i,m looking forward to getting out in the bus, hopefully the so called beast from the east weather that is approching the UK will be the last cold spell before spring appears.

Cheers

Jeeeeezers, I’m so hoping you’re right. It’s a bit cold to be working on me bus, it’s the first time I can remember that I’ve taken my Zafira on a couple of little jaunts picking up Mrs Ozziedog and stuff when I could have taken my old bus. But maybe I should sort out those naughty exchangers, that would maybe make a difference with a bit of warmth in the cab instead of fumes :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, come on summer :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Latest posts