New bay jack bag and tool roll

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledog07

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury combi
Hi all,
I wanted an original style tool roll for my bay and looked around the web at was was available today. I found some way overpriced stuff imported from the states but could make better myself for far less. The original tool rolls are mostly fallen to bits or missing from bays and i've never seen a jack bag but thought it would be handy not to get the vehicle interior dirty after use and to reduce scratching/damage caused by the heavy metal jack whilst stored.
I'm after some opinions on these items i've made.
Firstly, a tool roll similar to the original VW ones but made from double layered high quality waterproof marine acrylic canvas, edge bound and featuring a modern velcro strap for closing. Stitched using V69 bonded upholstery thread (UV and mould resistant). This is sized roughly based on photos as i don't have an original to measure.
Second, a jack bag made from the same material, single thickness, in a tent bag style with a drawstring top and sized to fit the big tall T2 baywindow jack.
Bear in mind these are for storing tools or jack under the seats etc. and as such are not perfect, but are pretty good. I believe they are a nice replacement for the original and can be made in many colours to suit the vehicle or interior.

Ok, so what do you guys think? Good or bad or ugly? Sellable or not? What would be a reasonable price?

If there is some interest I will start a thread in 'For Sale'

If anyone has an original tool roll and would kindly post or PM measurements I would be very grateful as I could then make them sized as original and guaranteed to fit the original tools.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on these.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave looking very good quality and useful, I've an original jack bag seams to have been made of the same vinyl as the headliner ? I'd be interested in a set from you if you whent into production depending on price .
Good luck hoping for more interest on here .
Regards
Adi

Thanks bud, I plan to make more soon. Not sure on price but it will be reasonable. I dont want to make a fortune, just cover the materials and a little something for my time. I didn't know they made a jack bag originally. I have seen the tool rolls though and they look to have been made from whatever offcuts were lying around from headliners or seats/door cards. The plastic welding gives out or they go brittle over time, 40+ years takes it's toll on most materials to be fair. Thought this might be a good, long lasting replacement. I intend to make some battery covers too, like a tea cosy to keep the rain and shite off and help to keep the frost at bay in winter. I'll show this when i get round to making it.
I've made some wooden gear knobs and handbrake pulls also. Finished in high gloss like glass. The VW replacement rubber T-handles are awful quality and the polished billet ones are expensive and cold to the touch. Keep an eye out, i'm just finishing some now.
cheers

I’m thinking I like these, and it might be nice to cut down on the amount of tools that I carry around and never use. I even have a full size hacksaw in my van complete with a twelve inch bow saw blade. I have the largest Estwing ever seen and a lump hammer too. I got screwdrivers here there and everywhere in the front and the back and in the glove bit and some in the drawers. I got a multi meter that I don’t even know how to use properly . I found a set of stumpy ring and open enders in the wheel well recently that I’ve no idea where I got them from :shock: If I consolidate to just a tool roll and a few bits, I think you could sell these as fuel saving devises. I don’t have a jack in mine, but for those that do, I guess this would really save their paintwork plus the clanking around when you go to move stuff around to use. I’m thinking that in the dark recesses of my memory :msn4: I recall a jack bag the was almost the same as yours but had a flap that continued up above the opening that you then folded down after putting it away and it had a longish tape on it that you tied around the jack and bag itself, very similar :mrgreen: .If you had a nice shiny set of spanner’s in there, some peeps would like to leave them out, unrolled and on display during show and shine and showcasing the vans anywhere sort of thing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, you’re getting very very inventive :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input guys. This will be heading for the 'For Sale' area soon. Ill get back to this post when it does. I'll make a few more, try to work out a fair price and post a sample of colours to choose from. That way I can make to order for any who want one. They'll go on E Bay after that so anyone on here will get the exclusive first.
Cheers
Dave

Great Dave I’m in for one of each ! Would like either in a Tan brown or wine red as in one year only chianti crossover !
Shall keep my eyes peeled on here dude !
Adi

Latest posts