MOT or not MOT

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I may as well chuck my two penneth in, i imported my 58 kombi and first registered it in the uk virtually as soon as it arrived without an mot cert, I’m sure there was a box on the registration form to tick to say it was pre 1960 or exempt from mot. All was fine there, the main reason I did that was because I was gagging to get a plate made up for it, don’t even think it had a beam on it at the time. But when it was done and ready for the road I mot’d it anyway, as I knew I’d gone over the top with replacing things and making sure it was spot on to drive safely.

My 70 mot runs out in June, I’ll probably get it mot’d again anyway, although it will take some sense of urgency out of it. I do think tho the amount of type2’s and bugs I have had mot’d in the past, the mot man knew pretty much f&@k all about anything that wasn’t just out of warranty!!

I think this is as good as it is bad: I see posts on various forums and Facebook pages every week with "MOT tomorrow, fingers crossed", and "MOT today, didn't sleep a wink", and I shudder at the thought that these owners are genuinely worried about a basic safety test, and then just as genuinely surprised when their bus passes! These are the people we need to worry about, as these are the people that cut corners and take chances. The bus I have now has flown through the last 5 MOTs (at 3 different testing stations) without needing anything, and that's not a coincidence, that's because I check everything regularly and maintain it properly. You should never need an MOT tester to tell you after just 45 minutes that there is something wrong with the bus you drive for thousands of miles a year. I will keep having the MOT as its not a big deal for me, but some people will no doubt take the piss jut because they can.

SiDev said:
I think this is as good as it is bad: I see posts on various forums and Facebook pages every week with "MOT tomorrow, fingers crossed", and "MOT today, didn't sleep a wink", and I shudder at the thought that these owners are genuinely worried about a basic safety test, and then just as genuinely surprised when their bus passes! These are the people we need to worry about, as these are the people that cut corners and take chances. The bus I have now has flown through the last 5 MOTs (at 3 different testing stations) without needing anything, and that's not a coincidence, that's because I check everything regularly and maintain it properly. You should never need an MOT tester to tell you after just 45 minutes that there is something wrong with the bus you drive for thousands of miles a year. I will keep having the MOT as its not a big deal for me, but some people will no doubt take the piss jut because they can.

This is spot on!!!!!

SiDev said:

Personally, I think that the kind of people that post these comments on Facebook are just the normal bunch of social media attention seekers. The ones who clearly know their bus will pass, but like to make a bit of drama to attract lots of likes and comments. I’m sure I’ve done it myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been working cars, trucks and dealing with VOSA for years, often people don’t like spending money and will only do absolute bare minimum to keep vehicles on the road. So what happens when that bare minimum standard that’s expected isn’t there? Things won’t get maintained or repaired, accidents will happen and people will get hurt.

I’m not saying everyone with an old motor is like that, far from it most enthusiasts pile big money into keeping their cars nice BUT their will always been that minority.

I would say most people who have an old vehicle fall somewhere in the 'handy' range - neither ignorant, nor experts. 'Handy' is a dangerous place, as you can imagine sometimes that you know more than you do.

A second opinion is always a good idea, even though mine has passed all mots, and I like the regular oral advisory (keep looking after it is the advice). A second opinion on whether your handbrake really isn't good enough any more, an opinion that that track rod end has seen better days, that when you changed the headlamp you've not adjusted it as well as we can....

I may or may not get an MOT, but I will take it to the local friendly garage and pay him to spend 45 minutes doing a once over (probably with a bit of paper to prove it)

Latest posts