Rear 3 x 3 point seat belts, what have you done about it??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been o we this so many times over the years and never really come up with a winning answer, has anyone put 3 x 3 point seat belts in the back, it’s the middle one I’m on about. Obviously the left and right one is simple, but what about the 3rd One? Or has anyone just added a 3 point belt behind the driver so that 3rd rear passenger is rear facing?

Let me know what you did with pics would be cool.

Cheers

Austin

:mrgreen: Hey Austin, I don’t think there’s a really kosher way of sorting a three point middle belt on the back seat and that may be why no ones coming back on this. With the fixing points available it is three points left and right and a two point lap belt in the middle and that’s your lot. There was never any test to prove an overhead central third point like I had in my Signum. That said, I don’t think anyone would put their name to a point near the middle of the Poptop roof brace even though it would appear to be sound, a lot of them were moved and secured with rivets-once repositioned. I wonder if a racing harness could handle that wide a fixing, like a full race one? One of the mot specs is that it can be removed one handed which hopefully will never need a street test.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Back to back possibly the only legit (ish) :mrgreen:

Cheers ozziedog, yeah I think your right, I think I will hAve to for 3 point left and right, and a 3 point rear facing off of the buddy seat.

I know what you mean about the race harness, I did something like that in my old 58, I had a removable race harness that held my littles one recaro seat in place, but now she is bigger the seatbelt has to go around her by just to secure the seat in and the seat harness holds her in, if you get what I mean. I’ll keep you posted!!

Austin said:
Cheers ozziedog, yeah I think your right, I think I will hAve to for 3 point left and right, and a 3 point rear facing off of the buddy seat.

I know what you mean about the race harness, I did something like that in my old 58, I had a removable race harness that held my littles one recaro seat in place, but now she is bigger the seatbelt has to go around her by just to secure the seat in and the seat harness holds her in, if you get what I mean. I’ll keep you posted!!

There are deffo four point harness style that are one handed operation and a fast clip system so you could remove as required and it would more than do the job. The only issue I can see is if the spacing are too far as in wide . If anyone can custom something to work ace, try seatbelt planet over in the states.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Come on summer, come onnnnn :mrgreen: :lol: :p :( :mrgreen:

A harness is what I plan to use on the kids seats in the future. At the minute we bought a seat that can be used with a lap belt that should keep us going for at least 5 years I reckon. Would love to find a solution to fit a second 3 point and keep the westy wardrobe

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

^^^ I’ve seen the solution to this, you make a brace inside the Westy wardrobe, and bolt the seat belt anchor point to this, from the out side it looks like it bolted to the wood, but it’s really bolted to the metal frame inside. I’m sure I found pics of this from various searches on google images.

I've seen that just concerned as to the strength of it! At the minute I'm of the opinion that a lap belt to factory seatbelt points with a car seat designed for lap belts is the safer option at the minute.

I have a Britax Romer Prince for my lad which is designed to be used with the main lap belt to secure it to the seat (I’ve also fitted a second lap belt that comes over the back of the RnR as a tether) and then the seats five point to keep him in. The challenge is this seat only takes him up to 18kg.. we will need something bigger soon that works on the same principle using the lap belt. Did anybody find a lap belt seat for children over 18kg?? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cossair said:
I have a Britax Romer Prince for my lad which is designed to be used with the main lap belt to secure it to the seat (I’ve also fitted a second lap belt that comes over the back of the RnR as a tether) and then the seats five point to keep him in. The challenge is this seat only takes him up to 18kg.. we will need something bigger soon that works on the same principle using the lap belt. Did anybody find a lap belt seat for children over 18kg?? Cheers

That's the one we got. I like the idea of the tether as well. Is it fitted to the same seat belt points? I was going to look into harnesses to secure the larger seats but I've not got very far with that as our youngest is only 3 and he will move into the britax when Penny gets too big which gives me some time to think about it

This would solve the problem if there is a seat that takes over 18kg and secures off a lap belt.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to go 3 point rear facing behind the driver.

Interestingly the current trend with child seat regulation is to develops seats that keep children rear facing for as long as possible. This is usually determined by the child not sitting in the space between the seat squab and the seat back (like a baby seat fits)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

67westy said:
I've seen that just concerned as to the strength of it! At the minute I'm of the opinion that a lap belt to factory seatbelt points with a car seat designed for lap belts is the safer option at the minute.

VanWurks do this, but only part of a kitchen installation, not separate.

I’ve seen it first hand - it’s more than adequate and probably better than the original mounts.

My concern is the rear mounts are weak anyway, so a belt won’t take too much force - specially is starting to rot in that area.

How many folk have secured their rock n roll bed with self-tappers on the LH side of a 3/4 width? The force of an accident with luggage behind the seat will tear it straight off. I’ve bolted mine, with spreader plates.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Reading with interest. Got grandchildren. Have a rear three quarter set up. New laws and that ‘third’ child consideration for rear sitting....other than up front. At present I think we will be ok for two up back on said three quarter set up. This due to the inherent attachment possibilities. But, if you want three in the back with varying ages? You have to consider what are the size of child seats next to each other. And the height of the child. Also due to this ‘size of seats’....Spacing and fitting. It’s difficult enough in my wife’s family car. Other than buying a People Carrier. So, it’s something I am looking into. Cheers for this.

Tested the 3rd rear seat belt today, worked perfectly and fitted perfectly. Here is a few pics of what I did...........
c905a02c4ef2799661fb4c1d1995ddc9.jpg
ae6a1b6917aec004d0df48e71703e8c1.jpg
803f826f7ee4c5a978d1efb242968e3b.jpg

Willans 2” 3 point harness in silver / grey made to order, lap spreader webbing, Cente rotary aircraft clasp, eye bolts under the bed, rear mates to an securon inertia slimline real with plastic cover, bolted and braced under the rear load area. Used a willans seatbelt warmer to hide the slack!!

The rear foam has been trimmed to sit nice with it. The rock and roll bed is made out of birch ply with 7 layers making up the 22mm. I have used steel plates and brackets for the bed boards to be mounted to the Westly hinges.

The seat belt on the right of the pic uses a seatbelt riser to have the seatbelt at the correct height for an adults shoulder. The left seatbelt had an inertia reel bolted to the original seat belt anchor. As no where makes a seat belt riser for that side of an early bay.

Hope this helps.

Also wanted to add you can see in the pic I can release the middle harness to I can still turn it in to a bed!

Austin, that is probably the best centre rear seat belt for an Early Bay that I’ve seen. I can’t recall seeing anything better or even anywhere near as good. Top marks bud , top marks indeed. That has definitely added itself to lots of peeps “”To Do”” lists. I’m still all over the place with some of the stuff I’m doing with belts, they seem to slip further and further down my list of things to do, but that looks ace as well as being practical. So , where did you order these from?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,thanks for sharing :mrgreen:

Cheers for that Ozzie, sounds like I’ve won the best 3rd seatbelt award!! I’ll be at Stanford if anyone wants a look.

You can order the Harniss from willans in Banbury, and I’ll get the part no of the securon bit too.

Smart solution mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts