Leaky windscreen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisavx

Reaction score
Apologies if this is a topic that's been covered but I did a search and couldn't find anything. We've just got Fanny back with her shiny new Alfonso motors rebuilt engine and lovely new brakes and were all exited to plan a weekend away. But low and behold she's sprung a leak! After some seriously angry words at her for spoiling our plans, we've removed the previously pristine madmatz carpets to dry out and are trying to tackle the leak. Basically it's coming from the windscreen somewhere and dripping from under the dash somewhere. Some investigation has revealed a few pin holes of rust under the seal but nothing too alarming. Now she's just had a shedload spent so we aren't up for windscreen removal and frame welding and are looking for a temporary but lasting fix. We've ordered some Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure to apply around the seal and are hoping this does the trick. Has anyone used this? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a temporary but lasting fix. If it is leaking around the screen and there is nothing obvious going on with the rubber, then I’m afraid the damage caused by the rust termite is slightly more aggressive than it would appear from a first inspection. If you took the screen and rubber out, it would maybe show you a little more rust than you are thinking you have there. Before you try any repairs, I would lift the rubber where it seals to the body with some clothes pegs or similar and let it dry out, then maybe you could clean it out a bit before you apply this magical potion. This is usually the side of the rubber that leaks more so than where the rubber goes around the glass plus that side is much more visible. I wish I could give you better news. Mines needed this lower screen section for the last couple of years and is one to get around to in the not too distant future, mine is showing rust but not leaking yet ,,, :msn4: touch wood ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,shouldn’t have said it should I. :mrgreen:

Thanks ozziedog. Your considered replies are always appreciated [emoji1303]
We'll give Captain Tolley a go this weekend if the weather holds out and see of we get any joy. A clothes peg and hairdryer combo sounds like it might help with the drying out. The seal is in really good condition, unlike one at the side which is as wrinkly as a prune but not leaking. 🤷‍♀️
Would be good to catch a break though haha. Everyone who's had a look at fanny keeps telling us we've got a really good one but it doesn't feel like that sometimes. [emoji19]

lisavx said:
Thanks ozziedog. Your considered replies are always appreciated [emoji1303]
We'll give Captain Tolley a go this weekend if the weather holds out and see of we get any joy. A clothes peg and hairdryer combo sounds like it might help with the drying out. The seal is in really good condition, unlike one at the side which is as wrinkly as a prune but not leaking. 🤷‍♀️
Would be good to catch a break though haha. Everyone who's had a look at fanny keeps telling us we've got a really good one but it doesn't feel like that sometimes. [emoji19]

These beasties are coming up to fifty years old and I think we sometimes forget that it’s a lot of years for any machine let alone a road going one. I think the worse case scenario here is that it might just slow it down for a bit, best case is it’ll stop it for a few years and you can join me in the hunt for an original cut from California. Give it your best shot and there’s nothing to lose.

Ozziedog,,, ,,, might get to see that Captain for myself :mrgreen:

I had my screen removed and replaced with the old seal back in place as it was original and it leaked like a teabag. I used a dab of silicone which worked but was eventually replaced with a new seal once it arrived. Theres nothing to do other than get a good german quality seal and replace the old leaky one unfortunately. When its out you can treat the rust around the seal. It probably leaking between the glass and the seal if its been disturbed.

Not a big job for an experienced fitter, mine took about 15 mins to remove and refit the seal..... and two hours refitting the original deluxe trim :lol:

...he was swearing throughout :lol: utter bugger to get the corners in and the straight sections not to 'turn'

Johnny said:
I had my screen removed and replaced with the old seal back in place as it was original and it leaked like a teabag. I used a dab of silicone which worked but was eventually replaced with a new seal once it arrived. Theres nothing to do other than get a good german quality seal and replace the old leaky one unfortunately. When its out you can treat the rust around the seal. It probably leaking between the glass and the seal if its been disturbed.

Not a big job for an experienced fitter, mine took about 15 mins to remove and refit the seal..... and two hours refitting the original deluxe trim [emoji38]

...he was swearing throughout [emoji38] utter bugger to get the corners in and the straight sections not to 'turn'
Thanks Johnny. Did you get a regular windscreen fitter out or someone specific? We were wondering whether autoglass and the likes would touch our old bangers?

regular autoglass guy on insurance, who said hed done plenty in his time. and they were far easier than modern bonded ones.

Ozziedog we may be giving Captain Tolleys and his creeping crack cure a go this weekend if the weather is kind. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Quiet a coincidence that the website shows a yellow bay but look a like a late haha
22be0c326303200639dd55bd41b82367.jpg

Black silicone under the seal in the suspected area will help but isn't ideal.

I know you don't want to, but the windscreen is really the easiest one to take out and put back in. I'm far from experienced and I had mine back in with the help of a neighbour in under 10 minutes.

Just cut the seal all round, bin it and take the window out, get a decent new one and refit with the cord trick.

Its your van, but if you find a lot of rust under there, finding it now, rather than finding no surround in 4 yr time under the silicone will be a lot cheaper!

My screen had been totally siliconed in with no seal present, and propped up with lollypop sticks under the silicone! :lol: :lol:

Americans :shock:

So after some faffing without success we've decided to bite the bullet and get the job done properly. We just want to get using it and the previous posters were right, it's the only sensible solution. It's off in a few weeks to muddy fields. We're hoping there'll be minimal welding involved and that the windscreen won't shatter but can anyone give us a best case / worst case scenario of cost from their experience? Thanks and a belated Happy New Year [emoji1303][emoji3]

Hi guys, happy new year and stuff. Maybe have a look at your insurance policy ? Nudge nudge. But if you are going to this trouble, I’m thinking a new screen might be welcome too. If you lose / break a toughened old style screen, it just explodes into a zillion small chunks whereas I’d be a lot happier with a laminated screen of the modern type. I’m guessing price wise it’s gotta be two to three hundred for the welding unless it’s really serious and maybe do it with dash in but it could end up coming out and costing more, then painting and are you gonna blend it or paint the whole front or make a line somewhere on the new panel, so paint is gonna be a hundred and upwards then the screen, guessing at about two to three hundred for a screen , fitted with new rubber. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,, five minimum, :? :? :?

Latest posts