Old vw magazines...... what to do with them.........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

Reaction score
Whist trying to tidy my garage to I can actually get to / do any work in my bus over the winter, I am having a good clear out, but during the “tidying” sessions it looks like I have a pile of vw mags well over 8ft tall if I were to put the piles together. (Bugger, Just remembered I have a f%^*k off pile of fast car mags in the loft)

I know most of us are like this, buying mags and never actually wanting to part with them, my collection spans back 25 years, all Volks world, camper and bus, performance vw, golf plus, with mags there from school days I remember drooling over beetles etc.

But what the hell do I do with the now!!??? Chuck them away?
Burn them?
Keep them secretly as an endless source of reference?
Give them to someone, passing on the problem?

What to do!!!!

Any thoughts???

I had exactly the same problem when I last moved house, massive pile of old mags I didn’t have space for.. Didn’t want to throw them so managed to give them to a mate who has a bay for his two teenage sons so they can take them camping with them.
Dread to think what they had cost me Over the years 😣
Don’t buy mags anymore, only hayburner and they’re building up now :lol:

Lol, I know what you mean, I have almost every issue of hayburner too, but they are dotted all over the house so don’t seem like such a problem.

I threw mine after removing any how to articles relevant to my bay and putting them in an a file. Remainder of the mags went in the recycling.

Not sure how this happens, but it does make me laugh. I’ve also given up buying them now. Years ago I had several encyclopaedic sets made up of buying magazines and then buying the covers to go with them to make a volume, I think about twenty issues went in each volume plus the cover and about ten or a dozen volumes. I think after the first volume I just glanced at most of the mags and thought “”I’ll read that later”” and mostly never ever did. I had a set that was to do with old motorbikes, and one to do with Second World War, and several others.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, just great marketing :mrgreen:

I chucked out 90% of my mags last year. There are constant adverts online from people trying to sell or give old mags away and essentially, no one is interested. It kind of made me sad, throwing boxes and boxes of mags into a big paper skip but what can you do? Apart from the first couple of Volksworld editions they are essentially worthless.

Now days I mostly buy magazines in digital format and back up to an SD card , saves a load of space. Although I still have a few hundred paper mags that I just can't part with and that's just the top shelf one's ! No they really are volkswagen ones.

If anybody has the following Hayburner mags then I need these to complete my collection please p.m me . Numbers 2,5,7,9,10,11,14,19.

For those wanting to have a clear out of vw magazines just put them in a box roll up to your local meet or vw show and put a free to a good home note on them and they will soon go.

First post of the New year for me so happy new year to all.

Cheer's Al

You could buy some fibreglass resin and a paper shredder and go into business making VW coffins - I think I'm still depressed getting over Christmas :(

subheatadey said:
You could buy some fibreglass resin and a paper shredder and go into business making VW coffins - I think I'm still depressed getting over Christmas :(

Jeeesus, happy thoughts then Ade :lol: Could we not get them soaking wet and mulch them and just press them into coffin ala papier-mâché and then bio degrade nicely. I could have a race with my bus then as to which one rusts away first. That would do me nicely, papier-mâché coffin and a nice little tree planted as a headstone, then I’ll get absorbed into the tree bit by bit :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,, ,, , is that tree hugging to extremes maybe :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

I had a load that I never looked at again, take them to a show, put them by your bus with a note saying "help yourself, but dont be greedy!" And you'll find they will soon go. I like the idea that people may get some use out them.

SiDev, that’s not a bad idea!! I’ve started phase one of mag offload, I just can’t lob them in the bin, so I’ve started to use them to recruit young dubbers into the scene, mates kids and friends of relatives get the pickings!! My kids are already totally sold and have taken their favourites, so there is about 5 feet of mags to go!!

Latest posts