Anyone running a Freeway Flyer box?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjmcg

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm running a mild 1776cc (dual 40s, 110 etc) that will sit at 4k all day long running at about 65ish mph.

I'd love to drop that down and have been looking at some options around gearboxes and engines.

Is anyone running a Flyer? If you are, what motor are you running?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

I was running a standard 3-rib on a standard engine, and it was fine, I then had a 1641 with 100 cam, twin 36 Dellortos and a 4 into 1 exhaust that was set up on the rolling road to 76bhp and the first thing I noticed was how limiting the box was. My late bay had a 2ltr type 4 which made around 70hp and was mated to a 6-rib with the taller gears, so I picked up a 6-rib and mated it to the 1641 and it transformed it, gave me an extra 10mph at the same revs as the 3-rib, so I will sit comfortably at 65 now. You can get a beetle box but have to cock around with cradles, cables and stuff. A late bay 6-rib was designed for a bus so is the better choice. It's all in my thread, Buddy the bus.

I've got a stock 1600 engine except for twin 36 DRLAs.

Fitting a 5 speed gearbox gave me both the ability to comfortably do 65mph instead of 55mph, but also a useful improvement in fuel economy too (~15% improvement on longer runs). My 5th gear is now similar to that of a freeway flyer/6 rib gearbox.

My 4th gear currently is the same as a standard gearbox 4th gear. I rarely use 4th gear above 40mph, as it's just not tall enough for higher speeds IMO :)

I had a freeway flyer in my westy coupled to a 170hp 2110. Worked very well, got 70 at about 3700 rpm, only removed it to upgrade to a built 6 rib

This is intersting - i built a hot 1641 (87bhp) for my old split, but i had done an IRS conversion and fitted a 1303S (i think) AH code box with taller gears and everything was hunky dory.

I built a similiar spec engine for my 68 bay and i 'm rebuilding it again to a 1776 (long story) - i ve only driven the van to the mot and back really and roud the block. Didn`t really consider that i may be limited by the stock early bay gearbox.

Will the later 6 rib gearbox drop straight in? I suppose finding one for reasonable money and in good condition is probably the hardest part!

Latest posts